Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

12 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

I know the letters are very small, but please help me find an Aston Villa striker on this list. (It's a miracle we're even mid-table at this rate.)  

Screen Shot 2022-02-14 at 5.42.07 PM.png

Would ya look at that. Edouard is on there. Granted, he’s only one goal ahead of Watkins though. 

If it makes you feel any better. Chelsea only have Mount on the list.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

Well, if he was to see that comment, it would certainly not give him a boost.

I agree!

I hold my hands up that I have taken over from Ings for the reason Ollie is playing poorly.  

Hopefully Ollie’s form turns around but if it continues then I am to blame for his confidence being hit because of a little joke I wrote.

I apologise to all Villa fans! 

• Like 1

Firmly believe there is something going on behind the scenes with Ollie. Personal issue of some sort. New baby problems maybe? 

Wouldn't be at all surprised if he's been asked if he wants to step away for a couple of weeks but has said he can try and play through it.

Was very telling to hear McGinn almost plead with him on Sunday to do more

Agree with posters that believe some other factor is at play here, the mental and physical attributes required to be a top level sports person are unbelievably great. If something is draining you mentally it drains you physically too and you can see plain as day that Ollie is a shadow of himself. Hope it fixes itself because I love the guy to bits, when on the money, he is valuable asset that helps win games.

• Like 2

Too many cretins on social media. I can’t understand why the players even open their accounts to the public, not that that excuses the comments they get though. 

Who knows what’s going on with Ollie whether he has family issues, unhappy at villa for whatever reason or just on an unfortunate run of bad luck

Either way, as much as I like Ollie,  it’s surely time to give Ings a run in the team. He scored a lovely goal against Brentford and hopefully with Coutinho coming in there will be more of those types of chances being created. There’s no point in having 2 decent strikers if they aren’t going to be switched if one goes 5 or 6 games without scoring.

• Like 2

That list posted on the page before with Antonio, Dennis, Maupay and Smith Rowe all on 8 goals doesn't tell the entire story. Ollie Watkins has a higher xG (and npxG) per 90 than all of them, there's a lot of luck in football and it isn't going for him at the minute.  

12 minutes ago, AndyM3000 said:

That list posted on the page before with Antonio, Dennis, Maupay and Smith Rowe all on 8 goals doesn't tell the entire story. Ollie Watkins has a higher xG (and npxG) per 90 than all of them, there's a lot of luck in football and it isn't going for him at the minute.  

Doesn't that tell you his finishing is bad? What is npxG though? I know what xG is.

• Like 1

Not sure what people expected of him on Sunday. He was up against a centre half who was about 3 feet taller than him and yet we pumped long balls at him expecting him to win aerial battles. When we played it into his feet there was no one anywhere near him to lay it off to. Ings didn't exactly show him how it was done when he came on either. The system is definitely not right for him, but it's clearly not right for quite a few players in the squad so surely the coaching team have to be pragmatic about it and work with what they have. I'll be gutted if Gerrard starts offloading the likes of Watkins/Cash/McGinn/Luiz etc. to other teams and they go on to be top performers again.

40 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Doesn't that tell you his finishing is bad? What is npxG though? I know what xG is.

Non-penalty expected goals. Including penalties greatly inflates the xG stat and make a player seem like they are great at getting into good goalscoring positions.

Edited by sparrow1988
  • Thanks 1

Sometimes the novelty of football just wears off on people, especially after reaching "their peak"

We saw it with Gabby, he was one of the rawest most hard working aggressive forwards going when he came through. That soon changed. Priorities change. People change.

He isn't working hard enough, simple as that.

This is a kid who absolutely bullied Van Dijk and all sorts.
He doesn't win headers as he's absolute static.

1 hour ago, AndyM3000 said:

Even last season when he was good he was ridiculously unlucky.  Had at least 3 goals ruled out by extremely contentious VAR calls and hit the woodwork about a thousand times.

The list of goal scorers also tells us that almost no traditional strikers are having a good season.

Vardy 9 goals, Maupay, Ronaldo, Dennis and Antonio 8. Those are the highest scoring strikers.

Watkins on 5 is the same as Kane and Lukaku. Ings on 4 is the same as Aubameyang and Richarlison.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Fun Factory said:

He was such a Smith signing. He nurtured him at Brentford and then brought him along at Villa. Don't discount the personal feelings.

Was poor before Smith left. Ings was bought on Smith watch too. He can sulk all he likes, it generally doesnt work out for you at this level though. Not sure he'd have many suitors on current form either. He just needs to knuckle down and get back to basics.

1 hour ago, El-Reacho said:

Not sure what people expected of him on Sunday. He was up against a centre half who was about 3 feet taller than him and yet we pumped long balls at him expecting him to win aerial battles. When we played it into his feet there was no one anywhere near him to lay it off to. Ings didn't exactly show him how it was done when he came on either. The system is definitely not right for him, but it's clearly not right for quite a few players in the squad so surely the coaching team have to be pragmatic about it and work with what they have. I'll be gutted if Gerrard starts offloading the likes of Watkins/Cash/McGinn/Luiz etc. to other teams and they go on to be top performers again.

This is what I don’t get from some fans! It’s never Ollie’s fault, not even slightly…it’s always an excuse, which people have tried to raise many alternatives, that leads to somebody else’s fault.  

1 hour ago, Tom13 said:

non-penalty xG. Each pen is worth 0.77xG (approx.) so it's more of a pure stat in terms of open play finishing. As an example, Fernandes last season had an xG per 90 of 0.45 but a non-pen xG of 0.23.

It can be an indicator that he's bad at finishing or that he's been unlucky and should have more returns for his efforts. Top players usually outperform their xG as they are elite finishers, Watkins did underperform on this metric last season so maybe he is a below average finisher.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

The list of goal scorers also tells us that almost no traditional strikers are having a good season.

Vardy 9 goals, Maupay, Ronaldo, Dennis and Antonio 8. Those are the highest scoring strikers.

Watkins on 5 is the same as Kane and Lukaku. Ings on 4 is the same as Aubameyang and Richarlison.

Good. About time the era of Kevin Davies and big AC came back into fashion.

47 minutes ago, AndyM3000 said:

non-penalty xG. Each pen is worth 0.77xG (approx.) so it's more of a pure stat in terms of open play finishing. As an example, Fernandes last season had an xG per 90 of 0.45 but a non-pen xG of 0.23.

It can be an indicator that he's bad at finishing or that he's been unlucky and should have more returns for his efforts. Top players usually outperform their xG as they are elite finishers, Watkins did underperform on this metric last season so maybe he is a below average finisher.

I'd say he's definitely a below average finisher. Even a lot of his goals weren't pure finishes.

Â