Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

3 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Its almost as though playing him in his correct position makes him look a better player.

I have no idea what we are going to do with Ings. A expensive paperweight?

I love Ollie and he’d be my starting CF, but I think having a second decent striker in the squad will pay off in the long term.

• Like 1

Ollie reminds me alot of Shearer. Really good strength for his size, to get the better of bigger centrehalves and can hit a ball hard wirh both feet. A slightly poorer mans Shearer. 

But Benteke was better at his best with us. So many quality goals off both feet with wonderful touch . One of my favourite villa goals of all time was against the baggies when he dummied one way then turned and smashed it and the other when he scored against QPR when he curled the ball into the corner by using the defender to disguise what he was going to do. Both truly brilliant goals 

8 hours ago, JPJCB said:

Surprised people think he’s better than Benteke was for us. Benteke was winning games basically on his own for us in his first season and scoring more goals in a team significantly worse than our current one. Big fan of Ollie’s but his contribution is nowhere near as significant IMO 

I think you’re probably right, certainly at this point.  However It’s always difficult to compare different players playing at different times in different teams. The hope is of course that Ollie continues to improve and his contribution to the team grows more significant. Better still Ollie and the team grow together. As you rightly point out Benteke often won games in a poor team more or less on his own. If Ollie can be as significantly important in a good team then everyone is very happy. 

Benteke left us to try to play at a higher level than we were capable of as we slowly descended in to the basket we sadly became. Ollie is lucky enough to have arrived when we’re on an upward trajectory, one which will hopefully continue and give players no reason to leave in order to achieve their ambitions. 

10 hours ago, JPJCB said:

Surprised people think he’s better than Benteke was for us. Benteke was winning games basically on his own for us in his first season and scoring more goals in a team significantly worse than our current one. Big fan of Ollie’s but his contribution is nowhere near as significant IMO 

Or Benteke looked better because of the dross that was around him.

There's a reason to why he didn't survive at Liverpool and has been a mid table player for most of his career.

Whereas Watkins has more to his game imo.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

There's a reason to why he didn't survive at Liverpool and has been a mid table player for most of his career.

Whilst I agree with the last bit, I do feel Tekkers just had his confidence smashed at Liverpool, he showed glimpses since but with us he was sensational. He truly carried us!

Just now, Villan_of_oz said:

Whilst I agree with the last bit, I do feel Tekkers just had his confidence smashed at Liverpool, he showed glimpses since but with us he was sensational. He truly carried us!

Well confidence and mentality is an attribute, and is one of the things that separate a good player from a top player.

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

Well confidence and mentality is an attribute, and is one of the things that separate a good player from a top player.

That's the part I agreed with 😁 I just thought Benteke deserved a little bit more credit.

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

You could also argue that its impressive he looked so good considering no one on his team was helping him. 

Peak Benteke was better than whatever Ollie has shown for us. The problem with Benteke is that he could be a wildly inconsistent player across seasons. Jury's still out on Ollie in that regard.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 1

Â