Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

On 30/09/2021 at 19:34, Delphinho123 said:

Watkins is a great player for us but we’re not talking about a Jack Grealish level player here. 

He can be replaced. It might cost a lot to do it, but there will be players out there that can do what he does who will want to join us.

Replacing JG was impossible because the best players in Europe aren’t in a rush to join us. Especially ones that cost 100m. He was irreplaceable to us as he would be to any team. 

If Watkins leaves in the future, so be it, it will be for a lot of money and we’ll improve as a result.

He was irreplaceable playing for us....not sure, for the other 2  teams....early yet, I suppose.

I agree, I love Ollie Watkins, but if the unthinkable happened, would Ivan Toney fit?

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, TRO said:

He was irreplaceable playing for us....not sure, for the other 2  teams....early yet, I suppose.

I agree, I love Ollie Watkins, but if the unthinkable happened, would Ivan Toney fit?

No he's a **** idiot.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, punkiller1981 said:

Arsenal looking at Calvert lewin or Watkins to replace lacazette!!! Strikes me as incredibly optimistic of them that they could afford either of those two before we even get to the question of trying to convince them to join a fading force like arsenal

After the Smith Rowe debacle, I wouldnt sell them the cheese off Lee Bowyer's bell end.

6 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Difference being Jack had been at Villa his whole life and Ollie will see Arsenal as the pinnacle of his personal journey

Pretty sure he is aiming higher than that. At least I hope so. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beastmix said:

Slightly unnecessary personal dig aside, I'm basing this on the fact he has spoken about enjoying working with Smith at Brentford and continuing their professional relationship was a key factor in him moving to Villa.
I don't think it's beyond reason to suggest he would like this to continue, especially as he's doing so well under his management. 

Sorry mate, genuinely didn't mean for it to be personal at all.

It's just that any sort of loyalty in football nowadays, is extremely rare.

39 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Sorry mate, genuinely didn't mean for it to be personal at all.

It's just that any sort of loyalty in football nowadays, is extremely rare.

No biggie, mate.

We're both suggesting there's no loyalty, but from different angles. You're saying there's no loyalty to the current club and I'm saying there isn't necessarily any loyalty to the club pro-players 'support'.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beastmix said:

No biggie, mate.

We're both suggesting there's no loyalty, but from different angles. You're saying there's no loyalty to the current club and I'm saying there isn't necessarily any loyalty to the club pro-players 'support'.

Yeah...I just think Arsenal are currently still a bigger pull than us.

49 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Yeah...I just think Arsenal are currently still a bigger pull than us.

Buendia says hi!

Seriously though, they are but it’s a lot closer than they would like and I’m not convinced it’s enough to poach one of our players.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, sparrow1988 said:

I would call Arsenal a faded force. In that I mean, they have probably fallen as far as they will, and also when you compare them now to when they were challenging for titles. Their nadir is probably around mid table. Their size and potential, commercially, means you'd have to really make a mess of running the club to even come close to relegation. I mean imagine if Burnley or some similar size club was being run like Arsenal has the past few years. They'd probably have fallen into administration and suffered multiple relegations at this stage.

Reminds me a bit of Liverpool in the early part of the last decade. Too big to fail, as they say.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I love him to bits, but at the moment this 2 up front ain't working and I would jump at £40-50m for Watkins. We can then play Ing's on his own and start getting the goals we so desperately need.

Seems extremely short sighted. We could just try a different formation instead of selling our top scorer from last season. 

£55million and buy Alvarez to replace him … love him to bits and be sad to see him go and nor do I want him, but that said every player has their value and if met he will have a big decision to make. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I love him to bits, but at the moment this 2 up front ain't working and I would jump at £40-50m for Watkins. We can then play Ing's on his own and start getting the goals we so desperately need.

I’m shocked anybody thinks of selling Watkins and especially for that amount.  I’m not saying he’s worth more but I think to us he’s worth far far more and I would be surprised if we even answered any call with any club offering that amount.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

Seems extremely short sighted. We could just try a different formation instead of selling our top scorer from last season. 

It's gonna be very difficult to get Ing's and Watkin's to link up, as they both want the goals and both want to be number 1. It's not really a option to bench one or the other either, as Watkin's being the number 1 last season won't be happy and Ing's has obviously been brought in to play not sit on the bench.

As @thabucks said, I wouldn't mind selling him, if we were to bring in that much needed 50m+ defensive midfielder. Just my opinion but I believe Ing's is the better finisher and will score more goals than Watkin's, he seems to miss many more than he actually scores.

Edited by foreveryoung

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

It's gonna be very difficult to get Ing's and Watkin's to link up, as they both want the goals and both want to be number 1. It's not really a option to bench one or the other either, as Watkin's being the number 1 last season won't be happy and Ing's has obviously been brought in to play not sit on the bench.

We are only a few games in of them playing together, it’s too early to make long term assessments of them working together.

5 minutes ago, nick76 said:

We are only a few games in of them playing together, it’s too early to make long term assessments of them working together.

Mark my word's, this partnership ain't gonna work, it's not even near.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Mark my word's, this partnership ain't gonna work, it's not even near.

Why does it have to work to justify both of them in the squad. Are we not allowed to have depth at striker. 

• Like 3

Â