Academy General Topic

mikeyp102

The u21s played blackburn last night at villa park, it was an entertaining 2-2 draw

Brad Watkins

Tom Legett, Niall Mason, Joshua Webb, Lewis Kinsella

Adama Traore, Jordan Lyden, Rory Hale, Jerrell Sellars

Rushian Hepburn-Murphy, Libor Kozak

The stand outs for me were Mason who was excellent at the back for us, Lyden and Hale were also very good, it was a great spectacle i thought. Hepburn-Murphy didn't have his best game, you can tell that he has talent but he didn't get the rub of the green

That Corey Taylor kid seems to be racking up the assists..  sounds like he may have a good delivery to get the best out of Mr Gestede. Maybe a little early now for him but next season. 

13 hours ago, KJT123 said:

The u-21s play tomorrow night at Villa Park v Derby. Does anyone know if you can go and watch? Might take a pair of binoculars to see if I can get a sighting of the lesser-spotted Libor Kozak. 

Thanks for reminding me

35 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Corey taylor is only 18, so he's probably a bit young, he is talented though

yeah i thought so. Probably for next year.. although Grealish started at 19.. If hes good enough....... we just dont have anyone who can cross a ball...

42 minutes ago, KSV said:

yeah i thought so. Probably for next year.. although Grealish started at 19.. If hes good enough....... we just dont have anyone who can cross a ball...

Gil and grealish can cross it in my opinion, i haven't seen enough of adama to judge yet. I didn't think much of his performance for the u21s last week but he's playing again tonight

I went to villa park last night, we won 2-1 against derby u21s, kozak got both for us and mason bennett scored for derby. Kozak put in an outstanding performance and looked ready for the first team to me.

Mark Bunn (gk)- he looked assured between the sticks, he didn't have a great deal to do- 7

Josh Webb (rb)- he's naturally a centre back but he showed his versatility by filling in at right back and performed admirably- 7

Niall Mason (cb)- absolute superb performance from this young player, i thought he was our best player by some distance. He dealt with that with everything derby threw at him easily- 9

Tiago Ilori (cb)- it was the first time i had seen him play for us and i was impressed but he can do better, he looked like he was coasting at times, he was decent though- 7

Lewis Kinsella (lb)- he's really starting to mature into a really decent left back, it looks like arsenal might rue letting him go, i'd play him on sunday if i was manager, excellent performance, untroubled- 8

Adama Traore (rw)- he can go past players at will but he needs to learn when to release the ball, he's got an awful lot of potential, was decent but not spectacular- 7

Henry Cowans (cm)- i was very impressed by this lad last night, i thought the game from the off, very impressive- 8

Jordan Lyden (cm)- very impressive again from this lad, he's the heartbeat of the side, real captain's performance

Jack Grealish (cam)- wasn't that good a performance from jack but he showed real class at times-7

Libor Kozak (cf)- great performance from kozak, 2 great finishes and some terrific link up play-9

Harry McKirdy (lw)-i was very impressed by this lad, he's got really good natural ability and great work ethic, terrific performance-8

Edited by sir_gary_cahill
  • Like 1

Ray Wilkins was quoted in the Birmingham Mail of having said on BEIN sports that Villa have some really outstanding youngsters coming through. Who does he mean? Which age group? Anyone who watches the youth know why he would say that?

I was under the impression there was a dip in the quality of the academy's product since the heady days of the Next Gen victory. But SGC says he thinks this is potentially the best crop ever - why?

If we were relegated would that be a chance for them to get a game that could be the making of them or see a mass exodus a la Dan Crowley?

Any thoughts?

Dreaming about potential in the academy is more fun than seeing the reality of the first team!

I've been under the impression that there was a dip, but now we're seeing a bit of a resurgence. I'm about as far from an expert as it's possible to be, but Sellars looked good when I saw him, and people have positive things to say about Toner, Kinsella and Mason that I've read. 

I think relegation is the only hope for bringing players through, and is one potential upside of it. Our managers have seemed utterly reluctant to play academy products in first team games, on the whole. 

• 3 weeks later...
Â