Academy General Topic

mikeyp102

I think he's Declan Rice's cousin or nephew, his older brother who now plays non league also came through Chelsea's academy, have seen Jamie Redknapp, Mason Mount, Wayne Bridge, and Lauren James commenting on his instagram since he came to us, so seems he's well connected in footballing circles in that regard.

Hard to judge from last night as Brentford's U18 are several levels below ours, but he played well, and was also impressed with him last season in his few appearances for the U21s at left-back.

• Like 1

Kellyman playing in central midfield was interesting, when we signed him he was billed as a striker or someone that could play across the front three, but was referenced a few times in the summer on the official site as being an attacking midfielder and seems that's where we're going to develop him, so much so that he was preferred in midfield last night to Pierre who normally plays there, I thought he looked decent showed some good touchs and looks like he can carry the ball well, three of Brentford's yellow cards came from cynical fouls on him.

I think Simpson is someone who's playing further forward for us than he did with Hearts, from the extended highlights and Scottish FA Youth Cup final always seemed to be playing quite deep, but seems we've recognized something in him and feel he can play more of an attacking role, he's definitely got the skill and technique for it, has been scoring goals recently, and probably could have scored another two or three last night, missed an headed chance, then the chance from a long pass from Munroe, and went on a good run and created a chance for himself towards the end, he reminds me a little of Alex Scott at Bristol City, who started as a Grealish type winger, but now mostly plays central midfield.

Probably won't be long before they're playing for the U21s, could be as soon as Monday with the amount away with the first team.

8 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

After the Meaning Evil gave him a 9 out of 10 i googled him and this came up. Beautiful passer of the ball and really aggressive in the tackle

He has a wonderful left foot on him.  Takes all the set pieces including this free kick from last night.... (4mins in roughly).  It was his assist at 2.43 from the corner too.  His striking of the ball really does stand out.

Almost forgot that he scored the last goal from the spot too, another clean and powerful hit.

Edited by Straggler
forgot the pen
  • Like 1

gotta say some of the play was quality vs Brentford.

I am right in assuming though that Brentford still work with a B Team and dont really care about the "youth setup" that much? (ie: the Brentford U18's just werent that good so made us look a bit better than normal?)

Our U18s do look to have some quality players though, really lovely football at times.

Brentford were forced to reopen their academy this summer because of a rule stating that every Premier League club must operate one, so them putting together an U18 team in the summer I think was a bit of a patch-up job, bringing in players from where they could, at the moment they're only category 4 status, we're cateogry 1 status, so quite a few levels below us in that sense and the league they're playing in, to put it into context they're in the same U18 league as the likes of Cambridge, Stevenage, Sutton United and so on, and they're also second from bottom in that league, so we were always probably favorites and truth be told were probably always expected to win comfortably, probably should have won by more than we did, which I don't mean as a criticism that's what the performance deserved.

Last night's game was a relatively easy one so can't really read too much into that game in isolation, but the same youngsters have impressed against much better teams, a lot of the team that won last night will probably be U21 regulars by the end of the season.

2 hours ago, Straggler said:

He has a wonderful left foot on him.  Takes all the set pieces including this free kick from last night.... (4mins in roughly).  It was his assist at 2.43 from the corner too.  His striking of the ball really does stand out.

Almost forgot that he scored the last goal from the spot too, another clean and powerful hit.

Some small thoughts on the game:
- Simpson was influential. Not so long ago turned 16. Aston Villa's Pedri! Deserved more than a 7/10 from the Meaning Evil
- What a free kick from Finley Munroe! A defender that score pens and free kicks. He's underrated on here. Sure he isn't Brazilian? 
- Wilson looks no quicker or slower than Haaland at youth level. 
- Hope our goalkeeper is alright he must of been freezing to death
- His Dad and His Uncle won the FA youth cup for Villa so would be a great story if Kobei Moore can achive the same feat
- I know I know its only Brentford U18's and have got totally carried away here

• Like 2

7 hours ago, bobzy said:

Don't want to disappoint anyone, but I'm in 2030 in my Concord Rangers FM2023 save and the Villa youth players are all playing Championship all below.

(Josh Feeney is in my defence :D)

Ah drat ! And there was me thinking this lot could be more talented as a group than 2 years ago.

Feeney , Smith   Kobei Moore Pierre Munroe all 17 

And then Kellyman Sinpson Kaden Wilson Patterson  Rowe ( and hopefully Brannigan ) aged 16 

And Broggio and Luka Lynch 15 .

10 of them playing regularly at international level  . We have some serious talent.

And 9 eligible for the Youth Cup next season as well. I think we will start seeing a conveyor belt now . 

9 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Ah drat ! And there was me thinking this lot could be more talented as a group than 2 years ago.

Feeney , Smith   Kobei Moore Pierre Munroe all 17 

And then Kellyman Sinpson Kaden Wilson Patterson  Rowe ( and hopefully Brannigan ) aged 16 

And Broggio and Luka Lynch 15 .

10 of them playing regularly at international level  . We have some serious talent.

And 9 eligible for the Youth Cup next season as well. I think we will start seeing a conveyor belt now . 

Yeah, afraid not - sorry!

Josh Feeney at Concord Rangers in the Championship
Kerr Smith at Stoke in the Championship
Kobei Moore at Ebbsfleet in the Vanarama National League
Kyrie Pierre at Arnett Gardens in Jamaica
Finley Munroe at Maidstone in the Vanarama National League
Omari Kellyman at Bradford City in League Two
Ewan Simpson still at Aston Villa in the Premier League!  (He's made 1 appearance and is currently Transfer Listed)
Rory Wilson at Wrexham in League One (10 in 15, they're top because of him)
Travis Patterson is a Free Agent (was released, went to Millwall, released again)

Even Aaron Ramsey was released (now at Reading, Premier League), as was Philogene-Bidace (Crewe, League One).

There's just no future here for any of them I'm afraid :D 

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Lupinthe5th said:

Can anyone remember Villa ever having so many promising players coming through at the same time like they do today? 

We had a good bunch in the early 2000s when we won the FA youth cup and older fans may talk about the Mercer Minors, but no I don't think we have. That is the result of the millions of investment the owners have put into the academy. Once we have the inner city academy up and running our net will be even wider for potential talent in the city. Which is one of the youngest in Europe.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Lupinthe5th said:

Can anyone remember Villa ever having so many promising players coming through at the same time like they do today? 

I would say that the team from 2 years ago was a fluke in many ways. So many locals all with big talent that we suplemented with the 2 Dutch at the back.  And developed before NSWE really got their claws into the academy. 

This year we can see a different type of prospect. Drawn from all around the country but suplemented with the best of the local talent. 

Kellyman Simpson Wilson Rowe Young  and Patterson are 6 of the most highly rated u17s  i guess and only half have come through the system . 

Feeney Smith and Barber the same at u18s 

All of them key players at international level.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Â