Academy General Topic

mikeyp102

If Rowe does leave then i was thinking why would you when we have a brilliant academy and pathway. Got me thinking .

The issue we have is the UEFA Youth League firstly. This is for entrants whose senior team is in the Champs League plus an extra place if the winner of the PL2 comes from outside that group. Its an U19 competition.

And secondly we are only in the second division of the PL2 . 

I know our academy prioritises player development over results but what could be better for player development than playing against the very best in the country and then against the very best in Europe.  And secondly, this is why Chelsea and citeh players go for mega money. They have grown up playing in these top leagues at youth level.  If we want to be self sustaining then we will need at some point to be in the first division i think. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I'm not sure there's that much in that - I'm sure players would want to play at the highest youth levels, but I think the pathway is important too - what's there for them in terms of opportunity at the end of the process, an I think what we cant underestimate is the role that parents play in these decisions. 

Manchester City bought a very nice private school, one that produces some of the best results in the country - when they take on your 10 year old, they enrol him in that school, that enrolment takes him through to his A-levels - if they release him from the football club at age 11, he's still registered at the school at a couple of grand a term for the next seven years - stuff like that matters to parents - and parents make decisions.

Parent's want their kids to be multi-millionaire successful footballers at twenty, but they'll be very aware that most don't make it - what clubs offer young men, what they offer children in terms of a future will have as much of an impact on these decisions, especially at a younger age, than whether they're in PL1 or PL2 I think.

There's a very peculiar arms race in the Premier league for the registration of pre-teen children and kids in their early teens - it probably needs more regulation.

that is really excellent, we really should be all over ideas like that if we intend to build one of the best youth systems out there.

Not sure what we do, but i guess we dont do something like that?

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I'm not sure there's that much in that - I'm sure players would want to play at the highest youth levels, but I think the pathway is important too - what's there for them in terms of opportunity at the end of the process, an I think what we cant underestimate is the role that parents play in these decisions. 

Manchester City bought a very nice private school, one that produces some of the best results in the country - when they take on your 10 year old, they enrol him in that school, that enrolment takes him through to his A-levels - if they release him from the football club at age 11, he's still registered at the school at a couple of grand a term for the next seven years - stuff like that matters to parents - and parents make decisions.

Parent's want their kids to be multi-millionaire successful footballers at twenty, but they'll be very aware that most don't make it - what clubs offer young men, what they offer children in terms of a future will have as much of an impact on these decisions, especially at a younger age, than whether they're in PL1 or PL2 I think.

There's a very peculiar arms race in the Premier league for the registration of pre-teen children and kids in their early teens - it probably needs more regulation.

Did you or anyone watch the recent Channel 4 documentary 'Football Dreams: The Academy' ?
This one was focused at Crystal Palace at different age levels each episode.  The parents were really embarrassing, trying to coach their sons like they are managers. Very pushy and desperate for their child to make it. it like a golden ticket for them if their sons make it.

I guess the Villa academy is run the same way. Its here if anyone is interesting 
https://www.channel4.com/programmes/football-dreams-the-academy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Going back to the 'Secret Scout's' tweet on Triston Rowe looking at it again I don't think that was them saying he's definitley going to Chelsea, it's more them responding to the Evening Standard article and tweeting in that moment as if they presumed it was true, their post on the matter on instagram is worded differently, basically just repeats the Evening Mail story that Chelsea tracking him and then asks if he should stay or go.

So maybe him leaving doesn't seem as inevitable as it did, that said the author of the original Evening Standard article is apparently very reliable when it comes to Chelsea news, so think there's probably a good chance that their interest at least is likely true and if so still a big danger that we could lose him.

And I don't think we can read too much into him still playing for us, clubs target U16s this time of year but often they don't move until the summer, presumably for schooling reasons, notice the pre-academy players we signed last winter, Kellyman, Katsukunya, and Lynch were all midlands based so could probably join us without it affecting their school.

If Rowe joins Chelsea will probably be in the summer, If he does leave I just hope he's not the first of a few we lose, seems we have a very good group of players in the U15s and U16s at the moment, the amount that have gotten international call-ups this season and last is into double figures and I bet there are others on the periphery, and they're winning trophies as well, so going to get noticed by scouts from other clubs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 day to the FA Youth Cup - I'd hope the club would give it a push and try and get a decent crowd into Villa Park - but no ticket details released yet.

9th December is a Friday night, there's a small chance it might be up against an England last sixteen game at the world cup, so I guess so might be moved if that happens, but I'd really like to see it given a push, I reckon we'll be competitive in this competition and it'd be great to get a decent sized crowd in.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, useless said:

If Rowe joins Chelsea will probably be in the summer, If he does leave I just hope he's not the first of a few we lose, seems we have a very good group of players in the U15s and U16s at the moment, the amount that have gotten international call-ups this season and last is into double figures and I bet there are others on the periphery, and they're winning trophies as well, so going to get noticed by scouts from other clubs.

I would like to test it a different way but it will be a test of our clubs strength at academy level. Will Chelsea be able to do to us what we do to West Brom? 

The last time we had a really good group was 2 years ago and we won the Youth Cup. They werent pillaged . Only Carney left of the good ones. In fact we got Bogarde in front of most of Europe. 

And then a year later got Feeney ahead of alot of teams. 

Chelsea look like they are going to stockpile the best youth again . I guess our counter sell will be that we will offer a pathway And that they will be developing together and will be in with a big chance in the youth cup. 

I think those u14s and u15s are the first groups to be developed under NWSE and Mark Harrison. Will be interesting to see how it pans out. They will all be local lads . And most of them Villa fans. 

I don't expect us to lose too many of them and hopefully none at all, my only worry would be Chelsea who last summer went a little crazy with their academy recruitment signing some of the most highly rated youth players in the country and they were signing them from other top academies as well, seems they're going big on that side of things, they also seemed to have started offering a lot of their young players six year deals when old enough.

We should be okay though and as well as the players we've already got will be adding others.

• Like 2

Marschall, Zych, Seb Revan, Tommi O’Reilly, Lamare Bogarde, Arjan Raikhy, Josh Feeney and Kadan Young all in Dubai training with the first team. 

Edited by messi11
  • Like 1

Â