Academy General Topic

mikeyp102

58 minutes ago, messi11 said:

Oh no we've lost Tristan Rowe to Chelsea!

What's the point of having an academy if we lose our best players. We are a Chelsea and Man city feeder club. 

The article I have read today suggests that they were targetting him, but hadn't seen that he had agreed to go there yet. Is this now confirmed that he is leaving?

Chelsea target Villa youngster

Chelsea are tracking 16-year-old full back Triston Rowe, who is playing five years above his age group at Aston Villa.

The England Under-16s international has long been on Chelsea’s radar having played for his country at the youngest age groups.

They recently watched the teenage right-back move between West Brom and Villa just 18 months ago but have now identified him as an option to strengthen.

Chelsea’s scouts are particularly impressed seeing Rowe play across his three Under-21s appearances at such a young age.

Rowe has also made a further four appearances playing for Villa’s Under-18s group.

The interest in Rowe is part of a wide-scale investment plan at the academy level after budgets rose following the Boehly-Clearlake takeover.

The Blues spent well over £30million signing teenage stars through their academy budget like Carney Chukwuemeka, Cesare Casadei and Omari Hutchinson.

They want to continue that trend into the upcoming January transfer window and beyond.

Just now, messi11 said:

At 15 years of age? lol 

Anyways we will never know if Chelsea put a shit load of money in his parents bank account 

Well, no, he obviously isn't going to play just now, and probably not for a good few years yet

But Chelsea play in the CL regularly, would you rather be in an academy whose senior team is in the CL or one that isn't? 

I was worried about Chelsea coming in for Triston Rowe and more so Kadan Young, reason being that they've already signed Kiano Dyer and Leo Cardoso, and were close to signing Jamal Jimoh in the summer, there's a good chance that deal will still happen before he signs his scholarship all the top clubs tracking him but Chelsea seemingly favorites, what all these players having in common is that they all played for a very good West Brom team in the lower age groups, Kadan Young and Triston Rowe were also part of that team, as was Luka Lynch for that matter.

Chelsea took one of our members of staff, can't remember his exact role for us but he's their Head of Midland scouting, I think he was originally at West Brom's academy so will know all about the best prospects coming through their lower age groups, and probably the reason Chelsea have been targetting them, what helps their cause is that they all know each other from those West Brom days, so if Rowe was to go there for example he'd be joining his friends, they also all know each other from England duty and because of that will also know some of the other Chelsea players.

All the above is why I was relieved to see K Young sign on scholarship terms with us in the summer, turns seventeen in January, hopefully soon after we will see him sign a professonal contract.

As for Triston Rowe I would wait and see what happens first, article only says that Chelsea are tracking him, a lot of our academy players will get tracked by other big clubs, if you're producing youngsters that are getting international call-ups and going far in youth competitions that's just inevitable, but we've been good at not losing our younger academy players recently, and we've also beaten other big clubs to young academy players over the last two or so seasons, at the moment seems we're an attractive academy to play for.

Can't rule anythying out but I'm also I'm pretty sure that Rowe is a Villa fan which might help us keep him.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, useless said:

I was worried about Chelsea coming in for Triston Rowe and more so Kadan Young, reason being that they've already signed Kiano Dyer and Leo Cardoso, and were close to signing Jamal Jimoh in the summer, there's a good chance that deal will still happen before he signs his scholarship all the top clubs tracking him but Chelsea seemingly favorites, what all these players having in common is that they all played for a very good West Brom team in the lower age groups, Kadan Young and Triston Rowe were also part of that team, as was Luka Lynch for that matter.

Chelsea took one of our members of staff, can't remember his exact role for us but he's their Head of Midland scouting, I think he was originally at West Brom's academy so will know all about the best prospects coming through their lower age groups, and probably the reason Chelsea have been targetting them, what helps their cause is that they all know each other from those West Brom days, so if Rowe was to go there for example he'd be joining his friends, they also all know each other from England duty and because of that will also know some of the other Chelsea players.

All the above is why I was relieved to see K Young sign on scholarship terms with us in the summer, turns seventeen in January, hopefully soon after we will see him sign a professonal contract.

As for Triston Rowe I would wait and see what happens first, article only says that Chelsea are tracking him, a lot of our academy players will get tracked by other big clubs, if you're producing youngsters that are getting international call-ups and going far in youth competitions that's just inevitable, but we've been good at not losing our younger academy players recently, and we've also beaten other big clubs to young academy players over the last two or so seasons, at the moment seems we're an attractive academy to play for.

Can't rule anythying out but I'm also I'm pretty sure that Rowe is a Villa fan which might help us keep him.

Good insight.  West Brom have basically lost an entire Golden Generation 🤣

There's been talk amongst their fans of us signing Akeel Higgins and Fenton Heard from them recently, I don't know about Higgins, but Heard has been linked in the media to us and Man City previously. I think the main reason there has been talk of us signing them is that they've both now turned seventeen but not yet signing professonal deals, so of course when anythinng like that happens their fans get paranoid that it's because they're going to lose the players to us, so might not be anything in it whatsoever, I do know that Heard is a big Villa fan so if we did want him would probably stand a very good chance of getting him.

Will be interesting to see if we do much in the way of academy recruitment over the next few months, we're approaching the time of the year when clubs start offering scholarships for the summer, and that often entails clubs not only offering scholarships to players within their own academy but scholarships to players from other other academies.

51 minutes ago, useless said:

Well this is the test. I guess we will find out if he really is a Villa fan

Looks like we are going to lose him, The Secret Scout pretty much the most reliable source for youth football is reporting that he's set to sign for Chelsea.

Maybe he isn't a Villa fan after all, or maybe he is, to a sixteen year old Chelsea going to be an attractive proposition, especially when so many of his friends are already there, two or three seasons back we lost Kane Taylor who is a Villa fan to Man City.

Big blow for the academy, hopefully he's the only one we're losing, noticed at the weekend that neither him or Broggio were involved with the U18s or U21s, I wondered if it might be because they're with England U16s but neither are, looks like we know the reason Rowe wasn't involved now.

Edited by useless
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, useless said:

Looks like we are going to lose him, The Secret Scout pretty much the most reliable source for youth football is reporting that he's set to sign for Chelsea.

Maybe he isn't a Villa fan after all, or maybe he is, to a sixteen year old Chelsea going to be an attractive proposition, especially when so many of his friends are already there, two or three seasons back we lost Kane Taylor who is a Villa fan to Man City.

Big blow for the academy, hopefully he's the only one we're losing, noticed at the weekend that neither him or Broggio were involved with the U18s or U21s, I wondered if it might be because they're with England U16s but neither are, looks like we know the reason Rowe wasn't involved now.

We are a Chelsea and Man City Feeder club! 

Broggio will be next

Shame but we win far more than we lose in academy football when it comes to recruitment. The other thing is that all these players we snatch from west brom will dry up as they will have been spotted at an early age before then even join west brom by our new scouting and academy set up. We are in a unique position to offer the best academy in the west midlands and down the m5 . Thats probably 5 or 6 million of the poplulation we will effectively have first dibs on. 

Question though to Useless. Why do so many amazing youth talents come from West Brom but why do so few go through the ranks and become stars. 

Edited by MWARLEY2

Broggio's definitely a Villa fan as usually puts VTID or UTV and so on on his social media posts, but even with him, can't rule out the possibility of us losing him if someone like Chelsea or Man City were to make him an offer, as interest from the so called 'big four' is going to be a very attractive proposition for players that age, as being wanted by one of the best clubs in Europe throughout their life time going to be very flattering, not only to the player but to the parents as well.

Would say that money plays a big part too, which is true, but we ourselves play that game as well and apparently have become hated by other academies in the area because of it, I know one thing we do  is pay for youth players to attend private school, that was a rumour to begin with, but then was confirmed by the club when they announced some sort of link up with a local independent school, obviously that's not going to be all the academy players, but probably something we use to our advantage when trying to attract youngsters to the club.

and that's probably just the start, there's actually very strict rules on what you can and can't do, to the point where when a club signs a player under a certain age the FA can ask to see bank and telephone details to make sure there's been no suspicious activity in terms of bribes or whatever, but probably ways around that, I don't think there's anything to stop clubs promising to give academy players a big wage when old enough.

I was looking for an Albert Phelan Cup result recently and saw that one of the players from that age group put on their instagram that he'd been offered a scholarship three years early for 2025, I think he must be a particulary highly rated one, I know small heath fans had a meltdown on their forum when we signed him from them, some claiming he was their best prospect in his age group since Bellingham was at that age, I don't know about that, but I don't think it's unusual for us to offer scholarships a year or two early, in an effort to stop us losing prospects in the same way it looks like we might be losing Rowe.

I'm wondering now if the main reason we've been playing Rowe for the U21s was mostly just an attempt to try and tempt him to agree to sign on scholarship terms with us, as it's not as if we don't have other options in the areas he's been used.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think a big reason why WBA have had a lot of highly rated youngsters is probably because for years the scouting in our academy was very poor, and small heat's probably wasn't brilliant either, so Albion were able to pick up the best of the local talents, in Stephen Hopcroft they also had one of the most highly rated talent spotters in youth football, Man Utd tried to get him at one point, we're lucky that we have him now, our academy has been one of the best for recruitment over the last few seasons and he's probably one of the main reason's why.

I don't know why not many of their highly rated have become stars, going back a little a few of them like Kemar Roofe, Chris Wood, Romaine Sawyers, Nathan Ferguson, and Tyler Roberts have done okay, and I think they've got others scattered around the football league similar to us, but in terms of their more recent highly rated prospects, most of them are still very young, their recent wave of well regarded youngsters started with the likes of Morgan Rodgers and Louie Barry, so still in their teens and early to judge what kind of careers those players will have.

Also I think it's just a fact that a lot of highly rated youngsters at around the age of fifteen or sixteen don't make it, like when you look at old England youth line-ups for example, a lot of those players disappear into obscurity or end up playing lower league football, and by the same token there is probably a lot of players playing international football at first team level that hardly ever featured or if at all as youth players.

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, useless said:

I think a big reason why WBA have had a lot of highly rated youngsters is probably because for years the scouting in our academy was very poor, and small heat's probably wasn't brilliant either, so Albion were able to pick up the best of the local talents, in Stephen Hopcroft they also had one of the most highly rated talent spotters in youth football, Man Utd tried to get him at one point, we're lucky that we have him now, our academy has been one of the best for recruitment over the last few seasons and he's probably one of the main reason's why.

I don't know why not many of their highly rated have become stars, going back a little a few of them like Kemar Roofe, Chris Wood, Romaine Sawyers, Nathan Ferguson, and Tyler Roberts have done okay, and I think they've got others scattered around the football league similar to us, but in terms of their more recent highly rated prospects, most of them are still very young, their recent wave of well regarded youngsters started with the likes of Morgan Rodgers and Louie Barry, so still in their teens and early to judge what kind of careers those players will have.

Also I think it's just a fact that a lot of highly rated youngsters at around the age of fifteen or sixteen don't make it, like when you look at old England youth line-ups for example, a lot of those players disappear into obscurity or end up playing lower league football, and by the same token there is probably a lot of players playing international football at first team level that hardly ever featured or if at all as youth players.

image.thumb.png.85fd6032cdbe1f457913ef232edfb04e.png

They won the Euros at u17

That's just one example, but even a lot of those are playing lower league football, some of them in the non-league, and I don't think you could say any of them have become stars as such, with the exception of Joe Gomez perhaps, like I don't think many of them would get in our team for example or most other Premier League teams for that matter, in fact I think only a few of them are curretnly playing Premier League football.

They're doing well to have any kind of career in football at all, if you look at other England squads, especially in the lower age groups such as U15s and U16s a lot of players probably disappeared from the game completely, of course the above is going to have an higher number that made it in one way or another as they were good enough to win a big international tournament.

39 minutes ago, useless said:

I was looking for an Albert Phelan Cup result recently and saw that one of the players from that age group put on their instagram that he'd been offered a scholarship three years early for 2025, I think he must be a particulary highly rated one, I know small heath fans had a meltdown on their forum when we signed him from them, some claiming he was their best prospect in his age group since Bellingham was at that age, I don't know about that, but I don't think it's unusual for us to offer scholarships a year or two early, in an effort to stop us losing prospects in the same way it looks like we might be losing Rowe.

Whats the players name?

I don't know the name as I'm only aware of him through instagram which doesn't have his name, I'm pretty sure he's the same player that small heath fans were moaning about because of timing, and other things adding up, unless we happened to sign two highly rated youngsters in the same age group from them at the same time, which I guess is possible, I do know that the one referred to above was definitely signed from them though, and has been offered a very early scholarship by us, so definitley one we rate very highly it seems.

Â