Academy General Topic

mikeyp102

Well, that was poor.

A mistake from the keeper and maybe one from Feeney for the goals, and it would be easy to put some of the blame on the back four for today, but I think that would be doing them a bit of a disservice - a light mist would have provided more resistance than the midfield we put out.

It might be the worst midfield performance I've seen from a Villa side since I started watching Villa youth and reserve football about twenty years ago. We lost every battle, closed down like we were flashing our lights at a junction, made few runs off the ball and our passing was sloppier than a two year old eating a bolognese. It made me wistful for Jonathon Hogg, and that's not a feeling I've ever expected or wanted.

Much of the time when they had the ball it was six against four at the back and Southampton's six had a couple of really good players. 

Kellyman came good in the last five minutes when he moved a little further forward, Young looked sporadically dangerous, Feeney had a good first half and Rowe got stronger and stronger as the game went on, but we never really had any control of things and they walked through us in the middle of the park.

Work to do.

• Sad 1

No complaints about the result. We were thoroughly outplayed and never laid a glove on them. If only this team had a player like Iroegbunam in the middle to win some of those 50:50s. Southampton's star player had no shin pads on so a physical challenge or two may have put him off his game but instead he had the freedom of the pitch.

There was some nice interplay between Kellyman and Young towards the end of the game and our attackers all have something about them. Just need to get them the ball! Unless I'm mistaken a number of our better players will still be eligible for next season's competition so hopefully they can put a run together next time.

1 hour ago, I Make Pies said:

No complaints about the result. We were thoroughly outplayed and never laid a glove on them. If only this team had a player like Iroegbunam in the middle to win some of those 50:50s. Southampton's star player had no shin pads on so a physical challenge or two may have put him off his game but instead he had the freedom of the pitch.

There was some nice interplay between Kellyman and Young towards the end of the game and our attackers all have something about them. Just need to get them the ball! Unless I'm mistaken a number of our better players will still be eligible for next season's competition so hopefully they can put a run together next time.

I think that next season we could have Young Kellyman Wilson Brannigan and Broggio as attacking players 

Simpson Burgess and Lynch in midfield 

And Moreland Patterson and Rowe at the back with maybe Sam Proctor in goals.

Feeney Smith Barber Pierre Munroe amd Kobei will be too old 

I'm still marvelling at how good a player Tyler Dibling is, I don't think I've ever been as impressed with a 16 year old as I was with him yesterday. A bit of Grealish about him, it is a shame the first team are in so much trouble because he should be around it. After the Chelsea debacle in the summer he's obviously got some growing up to do, let's hope for England's sake he doesn't waste that talent.

Villa we're poor really, men against boys in some sense. Outclassed and bossed all over the park, the midfield constantly overrun despite their endeavour. Pierre is an absolute machine, he didn't half cover some yards but didn't do anything with the ball, he ran all day though.

Kadan Young was exactly what you'd expect, very dangerous when he got hold of it but hit and miss in his delivery, a bit moody and ultimately (like most wingers) flattered to deceive.

Josh Feeney, what a player this kid is, a bit more physical prowess and he could play for anyone.

Omari Kellyman probably the best Villa player on the day, looked more comfortable when playing centrally, but gave it away as often as he did anything, technically looks very good.

In all honesty it could have been plenty more, 1-4 flattered Villa and that is being kind.

Dibling.......Wow!

Edited by AndyClarke

Our FA Youth Cup winning team are doing well, most of them were first year scholarship age when they won it, so still only nineteen now, I think the only three exceptions were Brad Young, Raikhy, and Appiah who were second year scholars.

Of course they all aren't going to make it but from that age group as individuals I wouldn't rule out any of Marschall, Kerr Smith, Feeney, Bogarde, Chrisene, Kesler-Hayden, Iroegbunam or Aaron Ramsey, and probably not Barry just yet.

Marschall gone on loan to National League but that's normal for a goalkeeper his age, he's got plenty of time to work his way into our squad

Feeney and Smith still very young for defenders, both have a lot to learn defensviely, but both have promise, especially Feeney who might be one of the most silky defenders I've seen on the ball, as he gets better defensively, to go with his natural ability on the ball, then has potential to be a really big player, as an air of future captain of big club or England about him.

Chrisene only nineteen but doing well at Scottish PL level, I saw how difficult that division looked with Caleb last season, so not writing him off, also have to remember he missed a year of development through injury.

Kesler-Hayden took him a while to get going but finished well with Huddersfield, more than capable at Championship level, and showed he can play well against top opposition in Man City last season, would be foolish to write him off.

Bogarde has just been unlucky that he was out injured for a year, otherwise I'm pretty sure he would be out on loan at Championship level by now, of all our youngsters I think he's amongst those that have the very chance of making it, as long as injuries don't get in the way I'd be surprised if he doesn't end up playing at the top level with us or someone else.

Aaron Ramsey, did well at Norwich, their fans sad to see him go, doesn't get much attention, but if you look at it not many players from his age group in England set-up doing as well or better, Chukwuemeka, Colwill, Iroegbunam, and Alex Scott the only ones I can think of, there are probably a few others but not many, he still has a chance.

Iroegbunam his performances for QPR speak for themself, he's somehow been even better for them than our U21s, I think good chance he will be in our first team squad as soon as next season.

Barry probably has to start showing more if he's to make it with us, but even if he doesn't, I think he has enough ablility to make it to Championship level and then maybe work his way back into the PL later on in his career, a good second half to the season could totally turn around the perception of him.

Not sure what to make of Tommi O'Reilly, he's definitely got ability, so we will see, probably needs some first team practice somewhere, see how he gets on.

• Like 3

Lots of doors of opportunities opening in the Villa's first team with the many outs and lack of ins. 

Kadan Young seems a Emery favourite right now. Been training with the first team since he arrived. Maybe that will continue to the end of the season. 

Who else do you reckon could get a chance this season?

We put out a team that beat Ireland U19s 1-0 at the weekend, must have been made up of players that didn't play for the U18s or U21s, I don't think U16s had a game so maybe some of them involved, as second years at that level too old fo rPL Floodlit Cup, no idea who scored our goal, Aaron O'Reilly played for Ireland as part of their squad.

• Thanks 1

Theo Houston U15 the goalkeeper we signed from Kidderminster Harriers in the summer was called up to England U15s last month, he joins Bradley Burrowes, Ollie Bindley, Vinnie Hayward, and Markie Meade, who've all had England U15 call ups this season, Woody Burgess from the same age group was called up to Germany's U16 team.

• Like 4

U18s through to the Semi-finals of the Premier League Cup after beating Southampton 4-0 away from home, Simpson, Lutz, Wilson, and Kellyman with the goals, Wright saved a penatly for us when the score was still 0-0.

• Like 1

Our U16s also through to the semi-finals of their Premier League Cup, they beat Sunderland 3-2, Dan Shaw got two of the goals, and Ben Broggio got two assists.

Edited by useless
  • Like 1

Â