Academy General Topic

smetrov

2 minutes ago, Pez1974 said:

We really are monsters at the U18 level now.

Love the fact that we're picking up players, and on balance - £0.5m to Derby feels OK.
Hopefully this guy goes on and becomes awesome for us, but it doesn't feel like we're picking over the carcass of a struggling club completely with the deal. I really do feel sorry for their supporters.

We seem to be cherrypicking the best young talent at Championship, League 1 and League 2 clubs. All of the top clubs do it but at top clubs they rarely break through to the first team. Hopefully, it’ll be different with us. I hate it when bigger clubs than ourselves come in and take our players like Daniel Crowley all of those years ago, he hasn’t got a club currently, they all are SGC, they all are, all of you tried to tell me back then. I still hold out some hope that others can follow Grealish’s lead and break through but I think it shows how good you have to be and be lucky with injuries etc

• Like 4

Aston Villa are set to sign Derby County prospect Omari Kellyman.  The Athletic understands that a fee has been agreed for the Northern Irish striker, and personal terms settled, but the deal has not yet been finalised.  The 16-year-old has been seen as one of the brightest talents in Derby’s youth academy.  His departure follows the signing of 19-year-old forward Luke Plange by Crystal Palace on deadline day. The club also lost defender Dylan Williams to Chelsea during the window.  Derby are under administration, and so face losing several of their most promising prospects. Last week, administrators were given a month-long extension to prove they could fund the club until the end of the season.  Speaking to BBC Derby earlier on Wednesday, manager Wayne Rooney had said: "We're in a difficult position and I feel other clubs have taken advantage of that.”  Kellyman’s transfer can be completed outside the January window because the Northern Irishman is a youth player, and so not subject to the senior transfer window.  Confirming his departure after Wednesday’s 2-0 loss to Huddersfield Town, Rooney said: “I lost a player this morning. A 16-year-old local lad.  “I got a text message from the club secretary this morning that a deal had been agreed with Aston Villa.  “He’s a local lad from Derby, he didn’t want to leave the club. I had him and his parents in the office. They were so proud he was on the bench.  “He wanted to play for Derby County. When you see young local lads getting sold from the football club, it’s hard.  “It’s a tough one for me and the staff to take.”  Derby are 23rd in the Championship, seven points off safety, having had 21 points deducted this season.

The Athletic.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, useless said:

Doesn't name us, but confirmation from Rooney after Derby's game tonight that Kellyman has been sold...

"the player didnt want to leave the club"

He's gonna be a happy bunny then!, hopefully he settles well (if its us he's joining).

Whilst you can understand and have to admire our ruthlessness, it doesn’t quite sit easy this one, if as described  by Rooney. That aside that’s deep into 7 figures alone on potential fees for  Barry, Shakepoke & Kellyman alone… 

I don't think we've done anything wrong we've made a bid and that's been accepted, if it had have gone to tribunal or whatever then would have been a long drawn out process which wouldn't help them out, and we've obviously offered enough in the first place to stop that from happening.

Also when Rooney says Kellyman doesn't want to leave it's probably more that he wasn't trying to force the issue, if he wasn't keen on joining us then he doesn't have to agree to it if he doesn't want the move, but if the Athletic article is to be believed he's agreed personal terms.

Whilst it's not good for Derby to lose players their best academy players, some might suggest that they're getting off lightly and can count themselves lucky that they haven't been forced to sell more of their first team players given their predicament, as it is they've been able to raise money selling academy players like Dylan Williams to Chelsea, Luke Plange to Palace, and possibly Kellyman to us.

Plange has been loaned back to them for the rest of the season, they've done well from that deal because he was out of contract at the end of the season anyway and probably would have left on a free, so they're essentially in the same situation with him, that is he is he will play for them for the rest of the season and then leave, except now they've received a transfer fee.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, a m ole said:

Isn’t the move better for the young lad? We shouldn’t feel bad about that.

Well he was on the bench for Derby recently. He probably won't get near our bench for a couple of years if at all and in the meantime if he's lucky he can get loaned out to Barrow to get experience of men's football. He might appear on their bench then maybe. They having no real incentive to give him minutes, compared to if he was fully contracted to them.

When he could have stayed at Derby and maybe start making cameo appearances off the bench before the end of the season.

I don't think going from peripheries of a championship side to the peripheries of the Villa U18 team is a good move for the lad.

45 minutes ago, YLN said:

Well he was on the bench for Derby recently. He probably won't get near our bench for a couple of years if at all and in the meantime if he's lucky he can get loaned out to Barrow to get experience of men's football. He might appear on their bench then maybe. They having no real incentive to give him minutes, compared to if he was fully contracted to them.

When he could have stayed at Derby and maybe start making cameo appearances off the bench before the end of the season.

I don't think going from peripheries of a championship side to the peripheries of the Villa U18 team is a good move for the lad.

There has to be a reason he’s signed? Whatever it is, he and those around him will be privy as, obviously, they’ve made the deal. If it was better for him to stay, he would have.

Edited by a m ole

First team football won't be an immediate concern for Kellyman, he's only played four games at U18 level, hasn't played any games at U23 level, and won't even be a first year scholar until next season.

He's made Derby's first team bench but given his (understandable) lack of experience above U16 level, it might have just been them giving a promising youngster a matchday experience, also seen suggestions that they put him on the bench as they knew that there was a good chance a 'bigger club' would take him and him being part of the first team would help them get a bigger fee.

With us he will be joining one of the best academies in he country, with some of the best staff to help with his development and some of the best academy players to train and play alongside, and will also benefit from all the facilities that Bodymoor Heath has to offer, and of course there will be financial incentives as well.

15 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

We seem to be cherrypicking the best young talent at Championship, League 1 and League 2 clubs. All of the top clubs do it but at top clubs they rarely break through to the first team. Hopefully, it’ll be different with us. I hate it when bigger clubs than ourselves come in and take our players like Daniel Crowley all of those years ago, he hasn’t got a club currently, they all are SGC, they all are, all of you tried to tell me back then. I still hold out some hope that others can follow Grealish’s lead and break through but I think it shows how good you have to be and be lucky with injuries etc

Couldn't agree more.

It's a numbers game. We are signing these youngsters for £100k and upwards - but if a handful make it in the Premier League - the overall annual cost of recruitment of (say) a couple of £m a year is dwarfed by the savings.

Jacob Ramsey has a value of £13.5m on Jacob Ramsey - Player profile 21/22 | Transfermarkt 
The reality is much higher with so much more to come. Without him, the club would be looking for another £30m player.

Good scouting at academy level is transformative, providing you have a manager who knows how to use them.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, a m ole said:

Isn’t the move better for the young lad? We shouldn’t feel bad about that.

Playing in one of the (now) elite football academies in the world? He'll be fine.

I'm glad we got a promising CF in. We've got Archer as the only real hope for CF of the current crop.

It's easy to ask why would you move from a Championship bench to an academy - but I think Derby's situation makes that a much less simple equation.

He's on that bench for two reasons, because he's got some talent and he's a good prospect and because Derby have had to decimate their squad in order to survive.

The choice he's making is between a stable Premier league academy and the possibility of not having a club to be at in a few weeks time, or playing in a youth side in league 1 next season that's getting battered from pillar to post. It might well be that the choice he's being offered is to provide his boyhood club with half a million pounds today or be responsible for them going out of business in a fortnight. It's not a choice between a functional first team squad at a high level - a Championship bench - or regressing back to an academy, albeit at a very high level - it might well be a choice between having a job or putting your boyhood club out of business.

So yes, we've been a bit predatory in picking him up, but ultimately we might be keeping Derby going for another week or so and I don't think we can blame the player for seeking a secure future.

Â