Academy General Topic

smetrov

On 14/02/2022 at 11:30, useless said:

I thought he (Triston Rowe) was a centre-back, but the brief highlights I saw of him made him look more than good enough on the ball to play as a fullback or in midfield. If he's starting for England U16s as a right-back then I imagine that's where he's been playing for us as I doubt England will be short of options in that area to the point that they have to play central-defender out of position.

At his young age a player's position isn't always fixed anyway, he might be a bit like Patterson, who's played central midfield, on the wing, and left-back for England and for us. 

I thought he was a centre back too

Yes it's on Broggio's instagram.

Triston Rowe I've never seen play properly, I think he's from the same year group as Kadan Young, if so we will find out more about where he plays soon enough, as he will probably be playing for our U18s next season, he might even get some minutes for the U18s before this season is over.

Edited by useless
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, useless said:

I don't who we played or the scorers but our U18s won 5-2 today, Ben Broggio made his debut at that level and got an assist, he was playing for our U14s last season.

Sam Proctor, a goalkeeper we signed from Peterborough United also played in this match according to his Instagram 

• Thanks 1

We're being linked to Chinwike Okoli from Millwal, he's eighteen but still on a scholarship as he hasn't signed a professional deal yet. Reported by All Nigeria Soccer, I think they were the first to report our interest in Shakpoke. Apparently can play either in defence or as a DM.

Edited by useless
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, useless said:

We're being linked to Chinwike Okoli from Millwal, he's eighteen but still on a scholarship as he hasn't signed a professional deal yet. Reported by All Nigeria Soccer, I think they were the first to report our interest in Shakpoke. Apparently can play either in defence or as a DM.

As a DM? Are you sure? Or can he only play as a holding midfielder?

Spoiler

:trollface:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I see there's a player called Lynch on the bench for our U18s today, I'd never heard of a player with that name being on our books, but wondered if it was Luka Lynch after seeing this old tweet from Stephen Hopcroft, and it seems that that's who it is,  so another one from West Brom's academy. Thierry Katsukunya who we signed from Coventry also making his U18 debut today.

Unfortunatley losing 2-0, after conceding two in the first five minutes, but if the stats on the OS are anything to by Chelsea haven't been as dominant as the scoreline might suggest.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Finished 3-1 to Chelsea, Harvey Rhoades with our goal, seems like the game was won in the first five minutes as after that if the game stats are anything to by was a fairly even match. Because a lot of the regular U18s played for the U23s last night was a very inexperienced line-up, Sewell and McBride the only second year scholars in the whole match day squad, Katsukunya, Duerden, Patterson, Young won't be first year scholars until next season, and Pavey, Lynch and Mitchell who all came off the bench are all U16s as well.

Edited by useless
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

England have just said we won't play Russia in any international football at any level - that might mean difficulty for Josh Feeney and his England U17's in next months Euros.

Hopefully UEFA or FIFA will step in and remove the Russians from the tournament before that happens.

11 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

England have just said we won't play Russia in any international football at any level - that might mean difficulty for Josh Feeney and his England U17's in next months Euros.

Hopefully UEFA or FIFA will step in and remove the Russians from the tournament before that happens.

id like the governing bodies to show some backbone and do the right thing but I doubt it will happen. 

I’m still surprised that Russia is included within UEFA - the nation spans pretty much all of Asia! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, theboyangel said:

id like the governing bodies to show some backbone and do the right thing but I doubt it will happen. 

I’m still surprised that Russia is included within UEFA - the nation spans pretty much all of Asia! 

The vast majority of their population though is west of the urals which is considered to be the border between Europe and Asia. 

Also 40% of Europe's land is in Russia.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Unless this person has a British or Irish passport or this person's parents have a legal right to reside in the UK, it's probably not for the academy, bearing in mind post-Brexit visa rules on underage players.

There just needs to be another reason for them to be moving to the UK outside of football. Therefore if the parents can get a work visa then us recruiting this fellow is fine. 

Â