The Global Far Right

maqroll

16 hours ago, maqroll said:

Does Ireland even have a Far Right though?

They certainly did in the 1930's, with the Blueshirts trooping off to side with Franco, Mussolini and Hitler in the Spanish Civil War. Do these new throbbers make any reference to this? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

They certainly did in the 1930's, with the Blueshirts trooping off to side with Franco, Mussolini and Hitler in the Spanish Civil War. Do these new throbbers make any reference to this? 

I don't know, but I keep seeing this slogan showing up on t shirts worn by Proud Boy types that says "Pinochet Did Nothing Wrong". Someone at the MAGA march in DC had a sign that said "We're Coming for Blacks and Indians First".

The real extremists among them want to emulate the Nazis and kill as many of their enemies as they can.

8 hours ago, mjmooney said:

sure the original party of the blueshirts have been in government for the last 10 years or so, its rarely brought up ever

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
5 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Over 20 years on VT and you're the first person to mention that link - particularly given I'm a Nuremberg Villan 😬

Only because it fitted the previous post perfectly. Apologies for any offence as non was meant at all

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Only because it fitted the previous post perfectly. Apologies for any offence as non was meant at all

It's harder than that to offend me, brother! 😂

It did fit perfectly, you're right. My reply was more that I was conscious either nobody had ever mentioned it or that it had gone unnoticed.

I was living in Nuremberg when I signed up to VT - indeed for my first 6 years as a member - but without context, I'm amazed I've not been accused of being a N*zi...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

but without context, I'm amazed I've not been accused of being a N*zi...

the way you dished out justice with those late night moderation  warnings  , I always associated your name with the war crimes trials rather than you being a lover of Zeppelins and marching  :)

• Haha 2

Extremist politics tends to break out after a political crisis, like WW1.

After Covid and the onset of an economic crisis, a lurch to the right was always a possibility.

Although it has to be said that even if the political rhetoric sounds extreme, it does not necessarily follow that the politicians will do what they promise.

I don't think any country can afford to become isolationist in such a globalist world order.

• Like 1

Â