Johan Lange

hippo

1 hour ago, TRO said:

My Understanding of Board structures....is not ,No.

Purslow, is not the board he is only on it.

I am not Privvy to the Villa structure in detail, so I am only picking up stuff reported.

But I am clear in the definition, reporting directly to Purslow, is not the same as reporting directly to the board.

Everyone who reports directly to Purslow in line management will not attend Board meetings.....It seems to me, by whats being reported, Johan Lange will attend board meetings.....that suggests to me he has his own Department......They may share common interests in the welfare of the club, but that will be overseen in board meetings.

Thats my interpretation, from the limited information I have.

I almost get the impression the owners want to seperate the financial side of player transfers from the inner workings of the club and not get them all washed up together.....with a view to keep better stock and control of the transfer system.

I think Simon Jordan is right, when owners are distant from the day to day workings of the club, transparency is a key component for them to work with.

It could in theory work really well, under those circumstances.

It's a fair point.

I think Purslow runs the show on a day to day basis. Big financial decisions and maybe appointing the manager the owners will have an input.

I don't think Lange is  reporting  to the owners- he may well attend board meetings if we are recruiting a new manager or to agree next season's budget ...

He is quite a young man and we had a poster on here saying that Solbaken is the big decision maker at compenhagen.it doesn't strike me as a senior enough appointment to be on a level with CP.

I'm just hoping he unearths the next Benteke or Martin Lauren.

1 hour ago, TRO said:

you seem to have ignored the final 3 lines, where I said on the other hand ,it could work well...... because it doesn't fit the agenda you seek.

You are assuming, I want it to be trouble....because thats the view you have of my views......I want Harmony as much as you......but I don't know the personalities, so I am speculating, either way.

don't confuse what I think could happen with the reporting procedure itself.......one is a possible scenario, the other is fact....if the reporting procedure has been disclosed properly, there isn't a " he is in a way" .....He either reports to Purslow or he doesn't, that is my entire point......if he is on the board, he works WITH Purslow, not FOR him.

Its not looking for trouble....its more about being aware of potential pit falls.......We haven't exactly been a kindergarten organsiation over the last decade or so, so it is hardly searching for downsides....there has been plenty to chew on.

I can see why the ownwers have done it.......In my humble opinion, I think the restructuring is designed given more control back to the owners in relation to financing of player transfers, making it more accountable, some could think it is limiting Purslows responsibility, that maybe so,too.

When you edit the post after I quoted it then there really isn't much I can do. But, just like you've done with Smith for the past few months, any stick to beat me with. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

My reading of it is that they are building a structure with segmented responsibilities of people at senior level. Each accountable for their own elements of operations.

Mark Harrison in charge of youth development and recruitment and the coaching staff below senior level

Johan Lange in charge of scouting, analysis and player recruitment at all levels in conjunction with Harrison and Smith

Dean Smith in charge of 1st Team, Under 23’s and all senior staff plus a day in senior player recruitment 

Christian Purslow in charge of all commercial activity and ulitimatley the management of the above on a day to day basis.

Edens clearly is interesting in the stats side of analysis and Sawris strikes me as a out and out commerce guy who also likes football. I don’t think either can be hands on with all their other interest and being non UK based, I certainly don’t think the likes of Harrison and Lange will report to them regularly.

So I agree about departments but not sure they are separate, more segmented but overlapping in areas all under the guidance and control of Purslow. I don’t for one moment think Purslow’s position is any different or weaker today than it was a month ago, in fact I’d say it’s stronger after survival.

But clearly last summer didn’t go well enough, Suso’s paid for it but I do get a sense that the Eden’s and Sawaris want greater oversight of that area moving forward.

well put.

much how I see it.

I think the restructuring is driven by your comments, I have highlighted.

I guess the financial implications and apportionment in terms of the whole business, relate more to transfers than any other single entitiy, hence the ability for them to scrutinise more carefully and micro manage it.

All makes sense.

44 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

When you edit the post after I quoted it then there really isn't much I can do. But, just like you've done with Smith for the past few months, any stick to beat me with. 

Sorry, that was not meant.....but I enjoy our ding dongs.

I think, sifting through stuff, we both agree on our club becoming stronger is our prime mission.

UTV

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TRO said:

My Understanding of Board structures....is not ,No.

Purslow, is not the board he is only on it.

I am not Privvy to the Villa structure in detail, so I am only picking up stuff reported.

But I am clear in the definition, reporting directly to Purslow, is not the same as reporting directly to the board.

Everyone who reports directly to Purslow in line management will not attend Board meetings.....It seems to me, by whats being reported, Johan Lange will attend board meetings.....that suggests to me he has his own Department......They may share common interests in the welfare of the club, but that will be overseen in board meetings.

Thats my interpretation, from the limited information I have.

I almost get the impression the owners want to seperate the financial side of player transfers from the inner workings of the club and not get them all washed up together.....with a view to keep better stock and control of the transfer system.

I think Simon Jordan is right, when owners are distant from the day to day workings of the club, transparency is a key component for them to work with.

It could in theory work really well, under those circumstances.

From my personal knowledge of boards, when the statement says that Lange will report to the board, that board includes Purslow and the two owners. So all three guys will be kept in the loop at the same time. It really is that simple.

• Like 4

I have to say this feels like an odd appointment. Certainly not sending my pulse racing. 

Feels like we are trying to uncover an unnoticed diamond of a sporting director as well as players. 

I wish him all the best but I was really hoping for someone with a bit more proven top level experience. 

27 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I have to say this feels like an odd appointment. Certainly not sending my pulse racing. 

Feels like we are trying to uncover an unnoticed diamond of a sporting director as well as players. 

I wish him all the best but I was really hoping for someone with a bit more proven top level experience. 

I think it’s indicative of the approach they want to take.

If people think these guys are just because of their wealth and investment to date going to continue pumping money in and do some sort of Man City spending then they are going to be disappointed I think.

So I think this appointment was always going to be someone like this as opposed to the chap linked previously with Chelsea. I don’t think a “name” was ever particularly likely.

I think going for someone who has been successful at a lower end of the market and with less obvious targets was always likely and makes a lot of sense.

Edens has also on a couple of occasions spoken of what he believes to be the importance of statistical analysis and science in recruitment as opposed to the traditional eye for a player or contacts. Clearly this appointment is in keeping with that.

So, Thomas Frank was number two to Dean Smith but is close friends with the man who will get the players in for Dean Smith to coach and the same man was alleged to have been number two to Frank previously. Why not just get Thomas Frank to manage us then? I think if Smith gets off to a bad start they might just use Lange to get Frank in. 

45 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Edens has also on a couple of occasions spoken of what he believes to be the importance of statistical analysis and science in recruitment as opposed to the traditional eye for a player or contacts. Clearly this appointment is in keeping with that.

I think this worries me a little. 

I think football does not lend itself to statistical analysis as well as most other sports, in particular American sports. 

8 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I think football does not lend itself to statistical analysis as well as most other sports, in particular American sports. 

Seems to work well enough for Copenhagen and Brentford... I think it has a place but not in a Moneyball baseball way.

18 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I know what you mean but I also think stats really helps because so many times people think a player is great when stats don’t back that up or certain players are underestimated because they aren’t flashy but end up being major cogs in teams.

i think Callum Wilson is very overrated but has a lot of speculation/hype around him and teams like us and Spurs after him but stats don’t back it up.  On the other hand Iheanacho looks great on the stats but Leicester stats are poor without Vardy in and Iheanacho playing instead and my Leicester mates aren’t massive fans of him, so are stats overstating him.

It’s getting the balance right and I hope they find that balance.

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

I'm pretty sure Liverpool use statistical analysis, seems to work for them ok. 

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Tis’ just a tool.

Surely there is no top flight team that doesn’t rely heavily on statistical analysis these days. It’s not some sort of secret only us message board fans have stumbled onto but hasn’t yet been discovered by the professional coaching and scouting staff at Premier League level.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AntrimBlack said:

From my personal knowledge of boards, when the statement says that Lange will report to the board, that board includes Purslow and the two owners. So all three guys will be kept in the loop at the same time. It really is that simple.

I agree.

Â