Johan Lange

hippo

10 hours ago, A'Villan said:

One of my favourite players of all time.

I know Barcelona had Busquets, Mascherano and Keita to fulfill the role Yaya might've had there, but imo Yaya is the best all-rounded individual of those mentioned.

If he was to emulate the playing career he had with City only instead playing for Barcelona in the years following his move, I think they would've been at another level. Scary.

Sure, it'd be nice to have a 6'2 guy whose athleticism and strength is equally matched by his technique, composure, poise and positional awareness, like Yaya.

However I think if we get in a midfielder who can complement McGinn and Luiz in whatever system Smith employs then we are laughing.

Drinkwater was meant to be that guy, and unfortunately wasn't. N'Zonzi was too, had that one happened we would of had some serious ability in midfield when fully fit.

I also would've loved to of seen what Gaitan brought into the equation as the dynamic of having a front three where everybody contributes adequately would've made a difference.

Same goes for the midfield and as mentioned above having only two players in a midfield three performing to the standards we need can result in costly compromises.

I'm super excited to see what the future holds for Villa, we've managed to turn that corner and prevent the free fall of further demise and disappointment. 

Staying up means that a lot of good foundational work put in doesn't come undone and we're set to build upwards, as opposed to a back to the drawing board scenario.

Hopefully this appointment enables management to successfully dovetail responsibilities and recruitment.

I know we are all pleased to stay up......but in terms of development, I don't think we really comprehend just how important that has been......it is such a pivotal moment, for us.

We have had a hard road back from that 3 wins in a season, was it 5 years ago?,( 2015/16) where everyone wanted to bail out, even in the middle of a cup final, if they were let.

We have a real chance to move up a gear, I just hope we can do it.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TRO said:

I know we are all pleased to stay up......but in terms of development, I don't think we really comprehend just how important that has been......it is such a pivotal moment, for us.

We have had a hard road back from that 3 wins in a season, was it 5 years ago?,( 2015/16) where everyone wanted to bail out, even in the middle of a cup final, if they were let.

We have a real chance to move up a gear, I just hope we can do it.

Mate, I want the same as you but with such a short close season and the current situation with no fans and the pandemic etc I just can't help but feel that next season will also be a struggle. 

We have stayed up but we're not ripping up trees in doing so. Fair enough, we kept it tighter at the back but without doubt we struggled to create anything in the final third. 

Any new players, unless Premier League proven, are going to have to find their feet just like last season's collective. 

I'd take 16th and not needing anything on the last day of the season right now if it could be guaranteed. 

We all need to remember we haven't done a Fulham but we also haven't done a Wolves. They signed top players - we have not. The likes of Bournemouth, Watford, Brighton, Burnley, Southampton etc are not new to perennial struggles and I think we just need to weather the storm for a couple of seasons before finally stepping up. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Villarocker said:

Mate, I want the same as you but with such a short close season and the current situation with no fans and the pandemic etc I just can't help but feel that next season will also be a struggle. 

We have stayed up but we're not ripping up trees in doing so. Fair enough, we kept it tighter at the back but without doubt we struggled to create anything in the final third. 

Any new players, unless Premier League proven, are going to have to find their feet just like last season's collective. 

I'd take 16th and not needing anything on the last day of the season right now if it could be guaranteed. 

We all need to remember we haven't done a Fulham but we also haven't done a Wolves. They signed top players - we have not. The likes of Bournemouth, Watford, Brighton, Burnley, Southampton etc are not new to perennial struggles and I think we just need to weather the storm for a couple of seasons before finally stepping up. 

Oh, I couldn't agree more....but I think, with a prudent approach, we can avoid that nerve chingling finale.....I am not going to quote a league position, but if we compete better, win a few more away games and consolidate, that will be fine for me.

If we can keep our existing team together, I think a few key quality players will make a big difference.....the right players, can enhance the exisiting ones.....suddenly you have more improved players than you thought.

I remember in the past when certain new recruits arrived and lifted the exisiting players, some who we at the time thought was meh.... the team improved dramaticlly.

Its a question of signing influential players who can do that......keeping my fingers crossed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Villarocker said:

None of those teams have a player of the calibre Jack is though and I'm sure many would say mings, mcginn and Luiz would all be in competition to be their best player. We have struggled because our we didn't have enough movement off the ball (easily fixable) and because our strikers never gambled in the box so we never got clear cut chances as they were always closely marked.

If we sign a 30-50 million winger and striker I would say that pretty comfortably pushes us into the 14th-10th range without accounting for improvements to our full backs, centre backs and keeper, through development bad coaching and without compensating for a potential new midfielder who is better than hourihane which pushes mcginn back into his natural role. If we spend 120-150 million again we should be aiming for 10th place or higher and another Cup run (semi-finals would be idea) which should convince jack that we could be aiming for Europe the season after and even achieve it through the Cup. 

2 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

I wonder what the plan is for friendlies this year? 
Has anything been announced that I’ve missed?

Nothing yet that I've seen. 

Because everything will be behind closed doors I guess they'll mostly be at training grounds so we might not even know.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Hornso said:

Very happy with what I'm hearing, but as always the proof will be in the pudding. Welcome Johan.

......it might be in the eating😀

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Because everything will be behind closed doors I guess they'll mostly be at training grounds so we might not even know.

they must be building an enormous warehouse.lol

14 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

That’s a good point, and presumably easier to organise without crowds, police, cameras etc. So might not get to see any this year. I always look forward to them normally to see the new shirt and new signings. Oh well!

When Lange scrutinises the stats for last season he will see two stand out stats in matches where we got a result.

1) Hourihane played.

2)We played with one winger rather than two.

I know some of you guys don't think much of Hourihane, but the stats reflect favourable on his valuable contribution to our staying up.

Also, one out and out winger is the way forward according to the stats.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

When Lange scrutinises the stats for last season he will see two stand out stats in matches where we got a result.

1) Hourihane played.

2)We played with one winger rather than two.

I know some of you guys don't think much of Hourihane, but the stats reflect favourable on his valuable contribution to our staying up.

Also, one out and out winger is the way forward according to the stats.

been suggesting it for some time.....we only had one when won the league and the Euro cup.....morley just switched flanks when the opportunity was right.....the key is though, when the crosses come in the ball has to stick better, not go out to the other flank like they do, in most cases.

If Hourihane played with a quality combative midfielder/destroyer.....He would not be expected to do, what he is not good at and be able to concentrate on what he is good at......not saying he is great, but i think he is exposed in a weak midfield.....it could be argued of course he is part of that weakness.

2 hours ago, Muriel said:

You can definitely use data for well known players. The point isn't just to find players but also being able to evaluate what they are actually worth and stay clear of people who are overrated. Liverpool is probably the market leader in recruiting based on data analytics, and I have known every single player they have bought in recent years. 

I was thinking more in terms of finding talent but yes I guess they would do a thorough analysis of even the top players to see how they would fit with what they've got and what they want to acheive.

Reporting to the Owners Directly and Wes being a Moneyball fan......I wonder if its like a side line for the owners....."Johan buys and sells players make some dough and if any are really good, offer them To Dean"....a problem could develop if Johan has a budget seperate to the clubs budget and he sells the player to Dean/ the club.....if the player is sold the profit gets apportioned to who and how, if they make a loss who takes the hit and how is it posted.........some players may not be bought with playing in mind, it depends how they have set this up.

Perhaps its my cynical mind at work....I might be dreaming.

I think spending that £140 mill like we did, might have them thinking slightly differently.

Edited by TRO

25 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I’d just like to try, if at all possible, to correct something I believe to be incorrect but has now been repeated so many times I think people think it’s correct.

People seem to think that when Lange was appointed the statement from the club said he would report directly to the owners and this meant he was reporting to Edens and Sawiris. This is simply incorrect for two reasons and doesn’t as some have suggested spell trouble by circumnavigating Purslow.

First of all the statement said he would report to the board, the board is Edens, Sawiris AND Purslow. Secondly although a minority shareholder Purslow is also part owner of the club. So even if it did say “owners”, which it didn’t, then this would still include Purslow.

The hair is already running and I’ll probably be trying to correct this misconception for months but it’s just wrong. There is nothing to suggest that Purslow’s roll has changed or that the involvement of the two majority owners has become more hands on.

All I think the statement confirmed was that Lange isn’t reporting to Smith or Mark Harrison.

Here's what it said in case people are wondering:

In his role as Sporting Director, Lange will report directly to the Board.

Co-owners Nassef Sawiris and Wes Edens said: “We’re pleased to welcome Johan to Aston Villa as we continue building a world-class organisation.

Edited by Tomaszk
  • Like 1

Â