Summer Goners 2020

maqroll

2 hours ago, blunther said:

The drinks break will be here to stay, and I would put a lot of money on it being used as an advertisement break midway through each half within a couple of years. 

That is part of my fears,  if it hangs around that is definitely what will happen.  An expensive ad break slot for whoever wants to give sky even more money... sigh

Edited by MrBlack

34 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

It seems a mockery this whole drinks break distance on the bench etc when you see what waa going on at fall time in the changing room!!

Was the drinks break not to do with playing in the summer and the temperatures being higher than normal? The distance on the bench is a loads of b******s  though. I mean they come on and they get involved in one on one duels and grapple at corner kicks.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

Was the drinks break not to do with playing in the summer and the temperatures being higher than normal? The distance on the bench is a loads of b******s  though. I mean they come on and they get involved in one on one duels and grapple at corner kicks.

Makes no sense to me at all

42 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

Nah it was intended to mitigate the physical toll of a large amount of fixtures in a short space of time (i.e. the Championship all season)

From The Athletic

As reported last month, Grealish is due to leave Villa in the next transfer window. Manchester United remain interested, although there is interest from elsewhere, and a move abroad cannot be ruled out.

Having survived, Villa are in a position of strength. They can hold out for big money but the key question is which club, if any, will be prepared to stump up the cash. There’s interest in Mings, too, but Villa will be able to put up a degree of resistance if rival clubs come calling. McGinn will now stick around and there are no concerns of losing him. Douglas Luiz, however, could start to attract serious interest after an inspired end to the season. Manchester City inserted a buy-back clause into the deal when he joined Villa for £15 million a year ago. He still has some way to go to prove that he is cut out for an elite club but the signs of late suggest that he’s quickly nearing that level.

Elsewhere, there are other key decisions to be made. In the middle of the celebrations was popular team-mate Henri Lansbury. He’s well-liked at Villa but has now spent a third successive season largely on the sidelines. Villa aren’t getting anything out of him. Several clubs are interested in Keinan Davis, too. He’s entering into the final year of his contract and needs games to score goals and build up his confidence.

Scott Hogan and James Bree will be moved on if there are willing buyers and the goalkeeping department must also be sorted out. Matija Sarkic has left for Wolves and Reina will return to AC Milan after a loan spell. Tom Heaton remains the first-choice stopper but is still injured. Jed Steer, Orjan Nyland and Lovre Kalinic are the other options but all three are not wanted.

https://theathletic.com/1955079/2020/07/28/aston-villa-premier-league-future-smith-grealish-luiz-suso/

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Reports suggesting jota el ghazi samatta and lansbury all be allowed to leave.

I have no objection to any of them leaving

Would prefer to have AEG staying. Definitely need to keep one of him or Trez, but having both as backup next season would be my preferred choice. Having only one means we're without a viable sub if one of our future first choice options gets injured. 

Samatta being allowed to leave would be a surprise, but he's not been around long enough to cause any major disruption. Assuming they expect Wesley to be back soon i'm ok with this, others we need to buy two quality strikers instead of one. 

Glad to see no other first teamers on that list (wherever it is it was plucked from), the more i hear the more I belive stability is critical to us not having the same issues next year. 

37 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Would prefer to have AEG staying. Definitely need to keep one of him or Trez, but having both as backup next season would be my preferred choice. Having only one means we're without a viable sub if one of our future first choice options gets injured. 

Samatta being allowed to leave would be a surprise, but he's not been around long enough to cause any major disruption. Assuming they expect Wesley to be back soon i'm ok with this, others we need to buy two quality strikers instead of one. 

Glad to see no other first teamers on that list (wherever it is it was plucked from), the more i hear the more I belive stability is critical to us not having the same issues next year. 

Samatta isnt good enough. He just looks out of his depth here. If we go in the season with davis and samatta we will be back in the same situation as this season.

Aeg not fusser if stays or goes in all honestly. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Samatta isnt good enough. He just looks out of his depth here. If we go in the season with davis and samatta we will be back in the same situation as this season.

Aeg not fusser if stays or goes in all honestly. 

I agree. I was saying we need to buy 1 whatever.  Samatta and davis as backup until Wes is fit I'm ok with. Would be unbelievably shit luck to lose both our preferred strikers ton long injuries and its something you need billions to account for. Given the other areas we also need to strengthen, I dont see us having spare cash to buy two strikers better than Wes

24 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

I agree. I was saying we need to buy 1 whatever.  Samatta and davis as backup until Wes is fit I'm ok with. Would be unbelievably shit luck to lose both our preferred strikers ton long injuries and its something you need billions to account for. Given the other areas we also need to strengthen, I dont see us having spare cash to buy two strikers better than Wes

Ill be honest id rather give a youngster a go than samatta. Vassilev or even barry.

Samatta is just not good enough for me. Even a villa side that was doing not so bad he was garbage. He had one shot on target the whole restart. Not good enough

Edited by Demitri_C
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Ill be honest id rather give a youngster a go than samatta. Vassilev or even barry.

Samatta is just not good enough for me. Even a villa side that was doing not so bad he was garbage. He had one shot on target the whole restart. Not good enough

I totally agree with your sentiment on samatta..I cannot understand people on these forums who support samatta and want  to "give him a chance".

The spine of the Team we need to build around cannot afford to have any dead weight..the time for carrying players is over.Its time to get serious because we cannot allow ourselves to be in a relegation battle next season

On 28/07/2020 at 12:22, Demitri_C said:

It seems a mockery this whole drinks break distance on the bench etc when you see what waa going on at fall time in the changing room!!

I like this drinks break I do.

I said it around a week back that I think it should be permanent. Ithink it has helped us since restart and certainly think its helped Smith to batter home tactical messages to our players against better equipped opposition and they have been better equipped. I think it allows a team in trouble to certainly gain a foothold in a game against the top tier teams in this league.

We have seen more tactics from Smith in restart than we had seen from him all season and I think Tactics break has helped very much.

So yes I'd certainly would be up for making Tactical break a real thing in football, not just because it looks like it has helped us, but because it feels like games change much more and makes them more exciting..

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I echo this I do.

It's been doing my nut in how we have ineffective players in our first team all season who even after restart couldnt do anything. Yet we had these Youths who could of made much more of a difference. Ghazi, Jota, Samatta, Nakamba shouldnt be playing for us when they cant make happen what they are supposed to. Not even in one game since restart since they have been on field (jota excluded since not played) have they made anything happen. Youth at that point should of been used, should of given the time on the pitch as we had wasted positions not fully giving there all and making the most of there 90 mins. Ghazi and Samatta should of been swapped for Barry and Vasilev, they deserved to jump in and it drives me nuts to think they were not giving the chance and that we kept playing players who just couldnt play football.

So yes when we have players completely wasting positions I do fully support dropping them and bringing in Youth in there place to make the most of positions and a situation that is without a doubt being wasted.

Edited by Dave-R

On 28/07/2020 at 02:27, blunther said:

The drinks break will be here to stay, and I would put a lot of money on it being used as an advertisement break midway through each half within a couple of years. 

Great news. I hope all the changes stay. Particularly extra subs and drink breaks. Great for the game and player safety imho. I dont mind ad breaks at all.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Great news. I hope all the changes stay. Particularly extra subs and drink breaks. Great for the game and player safety imho. I dont mind ad breaks at all.

I dont know why but a change I always wanted and wondered if it would work, was to add a twelth player on the pitch so its 12 v 12.

• Like 1

Get rid of:  Nyland, Kalinic, Bree, Lansbury, Hogan.

That's 5 players out.

Add 5-6 quality players.

Keep the rest, we need good squad depth, the next 1-2 years might be a lot more compact and taxing on the squad due to COVID etc, we need to work on a) improving 1st team quality, and b) building a reasonable squad depth.

• Like 2