Summer Goners 2020

maqroll

9 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

Wait what? Is that confirmed?

Yeah they want to keep it. Its a absolute joke. It isnt needed ffs.

Keeping On subject id get rid of nyland lansbury samatta taylor jota elmo hause and hogan. Maybe aeg or trez if we get a good offer

12 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

Wait what? Is that confirmed?

Yep. It did us no favours and only benefits the SQUADS. But we have an opportunity to boost our squad now so maybe it works for us too. Shitty for the clubs who have just come up. 

3 hours ago, Phil Silvers said:

Connor Samatta and Trez should be fighting to get on our bench, replace them in that starting 11 first and work from there. 

I think that's right

Look at West Ham's bench yesterday then look at ours  , in terms of a squad we are still some way behind the more established teams    , having those 3 on the bench wouldn't be horrendous  , not sure they are good enough to be regular starters

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I think that's right

Look at West Ham's bench yesterday then look at ours  , in terms of a squad we are still some way behind the more established teams    , having those 3 on the bench wouldn't be horrendous  , not sure they are good enough to be regular starters

They shouldn't be starting, id have added Konza and targett too but they seem to be improving their standard. But those 3 above, spend 100m replacing them and a half again strengthening the bench and sell the surplus but with 5 subs next year we need 25 strong players.

If we get 6 players in, I would think three will make it and improve our team, while three will need the season like some of last year's signings.

This mean that we should not get rid of many players. The one that are not good enough to start every pl match, should be in the squad and be replaced after we see that the new players are doing fine. Otherwise we would probably have to buy in average 1.5 players per player going out.

Edited by DeepDish

I will be surprised if Reina stays on. Heaton will be first choice when back. Drinkwater will be off and be Chelsea's problem again thank goodness. Baston already gone. Our January's signings were not great were they.

Kalinic, Lansbury,Chezzy,Hogan and Bree will all go. Kalinic a funny one a lot of money at the time but never settled. Chester has been great for us but I don't think he is part of Smith's plans. I would shift Jota s well but Smith seems to like him. Too lightweight. Didn't cost a much so not a disastrous signing.

Taylor borderline as he is only really back up at best at this level but seems a decent pro and won't upset the apple cart.

I would keep Elmo for another year as backup, seems underrated by a lot of people.

I wouldn't be surprised if we move Engels on. It seems like Smith has lost faith in him already. Looked solid early on but lacks pace. Personally  I would keep him in the squad.

Nakamba has hardly been marvelous but I would keep him on as backup for another year. He might progress a bit more. Needs to add more to his game than just tackling. Trez should stay and we should challenge him to play like he has done for the past 4-5 games for the entire season.

I would keep Samatta in the mix until at least Jan. Not first choice but I would give him a little more time. Same for El Ghazi. Has largely been disappointing this season give him a bit more time. The championship might be his level though.

Davis needs a loan to a well run championship club like Preston North End for a full season to see what level he can make a career out of.

We need to shop in a more expensive market this summer if we want to avoid the agony of another relegation battle in 20/21. Just need some more quality upfront and out wide.

Edited by The Fun Factory

2 hours ago, TheStagMan said:

We should only be getting rid of players who have not featured or where they are simply not good enough.

Hogan, Nyland, Kalinic, Bree, Taylor, Lansbury, Chester, Jota, Baston, Drinkwater

All our signings now need to be top class first team players.

Yep, this. None of them are needed at all. I'd keep Taylor as back up. Unless there's a lb available who would be ok as a backup and is very cheap. 

None of those others will feature next season at all. Get rid.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

Seems to me our fans have not really learned anything about last season. Changing the squad again will be a disaster. We keep most of the squad except Lansbury and kalinic and sign 5/6 new first teamers. Then guys like Samatta, Trez etc become squad players that are useful.

Read the first 6 posts of this topic and thought the exact same thing.... thinking,  surely I'm not the only one? Glad to see a shared voice of reason that had received several likes by the time I got to it.

Getting rid of trez and el ghazi? Great idea, so we'll need to buy 3, probably 4,  wingers instead of 2.

Getting rid of hourihane, lansbury and nakamba? OK,  so we need 3 to replace them and another creative ACM to give backup to Grealish  (add another one if he goes). That's at least another 4 signings. 

Guilbert, Taylor... seriously? Keep them as the backup for the new signings we NEED to make.

People are ignoring history if they think another season of mass overhaul is the way to go.

We just survived this season, but with a team that performed better in the last part of the season, showing significant signs of improvement.  The way to avoid another season of near relegation is to build on it. The core team is not fundamentally flawed, but lacking experience (which everyone in the team will have more of next year) and lacking some quality.  The quality needs supplementing, not scrapping and starting from scratch.

Edited by MrBlack
typo
  • Like 2

Lets try to get the players out who don't contribute anything first like Lansbury and Hogan. That must be about 60-70k a week in wages right there. 

Use that money for talented young players that can phase the rest (Taylor, Nyland, Jota etc) out over the next few windows.

Going to much more of a squad game now, can't see anyone that signed last year leaving unless a good offer comes in.

• Like 2

Assuming the likes of Reina; Baston, Chester; Drinkwater are already gone.
And we don't want a huge overhaul - get rid of the dead wood, and ensure we have a squad to cope with injuries and the expanded squad and subs rule.

GKs - with Heaton and Steer, we can afford to lose Kalinic. With Sarkic gone we may need to keep hold of Nyland unless we really want to spend money on another GK. 

RBs - Guilbert, Elmo stay - don't see us bringing in anyone else, so we can't get rid
LBs - Targett, Taylor stay - same reasoning as RBs
CBs - Mings and Konsa definite stays. Bree can definitely go. Engels should probably stay unless the falling out is too much; Hause I'm on the fence about, but he should be 5th choice, so we need to strengthen. 

MFs - Gealish, McGinn, Luiz, Hourihane all stay. Lansbury and Jota  should go. Nakamba is probably OK to stay for numbers and DCM cover and to see if there's improvement - but we need to strengthen here.

Wing - Trez and El Ghazi I'm on the fence about - perhaps 1 goes so we can keep costs under control. We definitely need to strengthen here, and need to go big!

CF - Wesley, Davis and Vassilev stay, with the latter 2 needing games time on loan; Hogan goes. Samatta might be useful as an impact sub - but he only seems to be able to head the ball, so I wouldn't mind if he went or he had 1 more season. Again, a key position for investment. 

I am assuming that the likes of Jacob Ramsey, Louie Barry and co will contribute to the squad if not on loan (and we need to be getting these guys game time), but won't suddenly become first team regulars. But it would be nice!

That's only 2 players who have been around the squad all season going, plus 3 others who have been out on loan. We might just scrape £6-8m of funds coming in, and need 4 or 5 major signings - probably costing £100m+ between them.
We can't start replacing Taylor (for example) and eat into that budget for a back-up full back. The likes of Taylor, Elmo and Nakamba should be next summer if they don't step up further (assuming next season goes well!)

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Pez1974 said:

And we don't want a huge overhaul - get rid of the dead wood, and ensure we have a squad to cope with injuries and the expanded squad and subs rule.

GKs - with Heaton and Steer, we can afford to lose Kalinic. With Sarkic gone we may need to keep hold of Nyland unless we really want to spend money on another GK. 

RBs - Guilbert, Elmo stay - don't see us bringing in anyone else, so we can't get rid
CBs - Mings and Konsa definite stays. Bree can definitely go. Engels should probably stay unless the falling out is too much; Hause I'm on the fence about, but he should be 5th choice, so we need to strengthen. 

MFs - Gealish, McGinn, Luiz, Hourihane all stay. Lansbury and Jota  should go. Nakamba is probably OK to stay for numbers and DCM cover and to see if there's improvement - but we need to strengthen here.

Wing - Trez and El Ghazi I'm on the fence about - perhaps 1 goes so we can keep costs under control. We definitely need to strengthen here, and need to go big!

CF - Wesley, Davis and Vassilev stay, with the latter 2 needing games time on loan; Hogan goes. Samatta might be useful as an impact sub - but he only seems to be able to head the ball, so I wouldn't mind if he went or he had 1 more season. Again, a key position for investment. 

I am assuming that the likes of Jacob Ramsey, Louie Barry and co will contribute to the squad if not on loan (and we need to be getting these guys game time), but won't suddenly become first team regulars. But it would be nice!

That's only 2 players who have been around the squad all season going, plus 3 others who have been out on loan. We might just scrape £6-8m of funds coming in, and need 4 or 5 major signings - probably costing £100m+ between them.
We can't start replacing Taylor (for example) and eat into that budget for a back-up full back. The likes of Taylor, Elmo and Nakamba should be next summer if they don't step up further (assuming next season goes well!)

Largely my thoughts, especially on the "outs" side.

Clear to everyone that Wingers and Strikers are our weakest positions. Seem to be some very different viewpoints on how to resolve them though. I'd keep AEG and Trez, buying one hugely expensive winger,  and another in the slightly better than trez/aeg mould that should be good enough but isn't extorionately expensive.

Reason for that is we need to spunk a load on a new striker, and I don't know enough about the market to think who this could be, but it needs to be someone proven and, hence, no doubt expensive.

I'd be spending 40m+ on both those key positions, and dont see it leaving much money for the other roles.

Maybe 20m on the other winger, 20m on a midfielder,  and whatever we get in income/can afford on another CB.

I can see a net spend of £120m being possible given the state of ffp  and the money to be made by our owners in staying in the PL. Assumes that their respective businesses haven't been killed by Covid I guess though. 

• Like 1

Our left back spot is quite problematic and if we were to strengthen there, it might be better to sell Targett, buy a better replacement and keep Taylor as a backup since he has probably the most Premier League experience of all our players (maybe barring Heaton?).

Otherwise, clear the rest of the deadwood as much as possible e.g. Jota, Kalinic, Lansbury, Bree, possibly even Nyland.

Definitely this window is one about bringing in quality over quantity. I think realistically we are going to see very few outs and instead improving on the first team. We should really be looking for 2 people per position to provide direct competition. Additional squad players who can play extra are important as well, but it is vital player for youngsters pure back up for injuries. Certainly should maintain 3 keepers and probably an

The players out on loan I don’t think have really provided anything to suggest they should be in the first team next season. The only one who might have a place in the squad I think is Bree, but more  though as a back up player, IIRC, he can play anywhere along the back. That to me says Kalinic/Hogan/Chester/O’Hare/Green are out (I know the last 3 have already gone). 

Oh those that have been in the first team this season, Lansbury is almost certain to go. Otherwise you are probably looking at Taylor/Jota/Nyland as the next ones after that. I would probably stop there if player me going

We are almost certainly going to be focusing on bringing in better wingers and that should be the main focus of the budget, but that doesn’t mean you lose the ones you’ve got at the moment. Both El Ghazi and Trezeguet's problems have been consistency. When they are on form, they are definitely premier league players. Same goes for Wesley and Samatta (though both have really struggled). Unless we have some real quality coming in. You don’t want to end up buying a whole new team. We need to build on this season and improve much more gradually. The spine of a team is there (Heaton/Mings/Luiz/McGinn/Grealish [possibly]), it just needs supplementing. 

46 minutes ago, Pez1974 said:

We should be now buying only out and out first team starters, pushing the players to the bench more regularly and for cup matches. 

I would say limit to 3/4 players but all regulars. 2020 budget would surely put those at £30m+ each. 

striker

midfielder 

left back 

centre back 

Then if we need get maybe one more in Jan. especially if we are fortunate to be on a decent points tally by then. 

• Like 1