Who you hold accountable?  

97 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you hold accountable?

• Smith
    • Purslow
    • Suso
    • The players

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 31/07/20 at 15:01

We had a far better team last season than Leeds and Albion, we under achieved under Bruce, from the moment Smith came in we took more points than both Albion and Leeds until the end of the season.

I put Suso but really it’s a clusterfun of all of the above.

Smith: Has made tactical errors and naive at times with his approach to matches.

Puslow: In charge of the day to day running of the club - the buck ultimately stops with him.

Suso: responsible for recruitment and too many gambles not paid off. Took far too long sourcing a replacement for Wesley in January, which by then was too late.

Players: of course they could have put more effort and desire in. 

there’s no right answer - it’s just a sorry shitshow at the moment 

• Like 1

The obvious / smarmy response is to say all of them - plus Xia, Wyness and Bruce. They were the reason we needed 12 players and only went up as Jack was a ringer. 

However I think others have been soft on the players. I've been absolutely disgusted by every performance post lockdown except Blades and Liverpool. Mings, McGinn in particular seem to believe their own hype. 

• Like 1

Being able to choose only one option isn't good, all the blame can't be placed at one persons feet.

I think the majority of the blame lies with suso and Deano.

To a lesser degree some blame probably lies with purslow, mainly for recruiting suso, however on the whole I think purslow has done a very good job, let's not ever forget the mess we were in before him and the new owners came in, to be where we are now (even with relegation in mind), it a small miracle in itself, we nearly didn't exist as a club 18 months ago.

I think the main blame goes to suso for the recruitment, and Deano for not realising how terribly short we were on the wings, DM and up front, as well as not challenging some of the obviously poor signings.

Also some blame goes to deano for me because the team hasn't improved as the season has gone on, it has got worse, although some mitigation must be given for 3 very important players getting injured, our squad just can't handle losing 3 key players.

If I had to put percentages on it, I would place:

50% of the blame on suso (for the poor overall recruitment - although I certainly don't think all the signings have been bad, I just think we are short in 3 core areas, and those 3 areas cost us relegation)

40% on Deano for his inability to improve the players and get them fighting for the badge, and for not noticing or not challenging when it was clear we were short out wide, at DM and up front)

10% on Purslow. (For recruiting suso who has proven a bit of a disaster)

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 2

This is a knock on effect from a very long time. When we won the league we didn't build upon that. We didn't build upon the Graham Taylor years. We should have won the first premier League but bottled it/ran out of steam in the last 6/7 games. We didn't build upon that either.

We stopped manure from doing the first ever domestic treble so Alex Ferguson hated us for that and did everything to beat us. We didn't build on Brian Little's success. John Gregory wanted two players who wanted to come and they would have fired us to the league title but we fell away badly.

DOL was just a poor period.

MON and The Lerner years. Hmmmm. This current slump starts with them two. Had MON bought Cavani and Falcao who were both ready to sign we would have sustained league challenges and probably even won one or two. Moutinho also was linked but I don't think it was as definite as the other two. Lerner would have made his money back and we would have been self sufficient with regular CL and Title Challenges. Milner, Barry Young wouldn't have left.  And then there was Houllier who unfortunately got ill. 

It's not just the 4 in the poll. It started before that. Too many safe decisions taken at the wrong time. 

However we now hopefully have the financial clout to move forward and EVENTUALLY (in a few years) start challenging for the League Title again. But this time hopefully we will win it. But we need to get the recruitment at all levels right. And the culture of the club and the belief of the club needs to change. Fans included. We've got an inferiority complex. All it takes is one signing, one world class manager to believe in the project. Man City wouldn't be where they are without Robinho. That was a watershed moment for them. 

Look at Liverpool they have finally got the right formula. We should use the shell suit wearing dodgy perm brigade as an example and inspiration to beat them. Eventually. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

DOL was just a poor period.

He got us closer to the Champions League than MON did with a much smaller budget.

Guy is a prick but definitely worked under a limited budget than other managers yet signed quality like Solano, Laursen, Bouma

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

He got us closer to the Champions League than MON did with a much smaller budget.

Guy is a prick but definitely worked under a limited budget than other managers yet signed quality like Solano, Laursen, Bouma

First season was good but then he went into"they're an honest bunch of lads" mode. 

5 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

First season was good but then he went into"they're an honest bunch of lads" mode. 

Shit excuses by him but he was given little support by Doug after we came 6th.

His last 6 months we were playing Ridgewell, Cahill, Gardner, Whittingham, Moore, Davis, Gabby regularly witg little experience around them

• Like 1

Just now, Zatman said:

Shit excuses by him but he was given little support by Doug after we came 6th.

His last 6 months we were playing Ridgewell, Cahill, Gardner, Whittingham, Moore, Davis, Gabby regularly witg little experience around them

That I agree with. But we didn't have the money. A knock on effect of not building upon previous successes.

31 minutes ago, PaddytheVillan said:

The obvious / smarmy response is to say all of them - plus Xia, Wyness and Bruce. They were the reason we needed 12 players and only went up as Jack was a ringer. 

However I think others have been soft on the players. I've been absolutely disgusted by every performance post lockdown except Blades and Liverpool. Mings, McGinn in particular seem to believe their own hype. 

I think that's a bit harsh on McGinn, he broke his ankle and then when he needed to rebuild his fitness he couldn't train properly due to the lockdown.  I sense from the size of his arse that he is the kind of guy that would naturally balloon 4 stone within a year of retiring (i.e. he's Scotch) so 6 months out or whatever it was it isn't surprising he put some weight on.  He needs to work harder than anyone else in the summer to get his levels back to even what they were in the Championship.

6 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

That I agree with. But we didn't have the money. A knock on effect of not building upon previous successes.

I remember at the time Doug told everyone Bellamy was a done deal before he signed. Bellamy went to Blackburn we ended up with Baros for more money 😢

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Main point is if you follow Villa for glory, your an idiot 😂😂

If you want success go somewhere else, supporting Villa is about the suffering and the earned victories 

Ahem!

Aston Villa win Cup of Traditions Aston Villa Football Club

• Haha 1

1. Getting promoted a year early.

2. Having to replace loads of players.

3. Naivety 

4. Injuries. Heaton McGinn Wesley was the spine of a new team.

5. VAR it really has **** us over and odd points here and there would have made a massive difference.

6. Corona Virus. Restarting football under a completely different set up.  Fans at Villa Park and we would have got better results i am sure of it.

• Like 2

Â