Who you hold accountable?  

97 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you hold accountable?

• Smith
    • Purslow
    • Suso
    • The players

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 31/07/20 at 15:01

In the grand scheme of things I don't actually think we're in a bad place, I wouldn't swap our situation for most other premier league teams, because I think with our owners, in the long term we have better prospects than most of them.

It's not an either or situation. The overall strategy to buy young and unexperienced proved to be a failure. The specific players bough were wrong. In many cases games have been managed poorly, both on a tactical and motivational aspect. Individual mistakes are on the players.

Referreing decisions have also screwed us, maybe not majorly, but we would have a few more points as a direct result, and perhaps with the confidence boost of winning or drawing rather than losing might have produced overall better performances.

Just now, Demitri_C said:

Not many managers are given 150m to do that.  Thats a massive budget.

No one is disputing smith did a incredible job getting us up.

HOWEVER the level of lack of effort and woeful performances i cant accept that sorry. 

£150m to build a whole squad is not a massive budget. I'd say 8 out of 10 teams (rough estimate) would probably have spent more than that on their starting XI. Let alone a whole squad build.

Just now, useless said:

In the grand scheme of things I don't actually think we're in a bad place, I wouldn't swap our situation for most other premier league teams, because I think with our owners, in the long term we have better prospects than most of them.

What is so special about our owners?

Apparently everyone they have appointed so far has contributed to our relegation.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

£150m to build a whole squad is not a massive budget. I'd say 8 out of 10 teams (rough estimate) would probably have spent more than that on their starting XI. Let alone a whole squad build.

The things is we could have maybe utilised the free transfers market. Or maybe a couple loans with a view to permanent if they impress.

Thats what we should have done for samatta i think. As now we are stuck with a player that just does not seem suited to english football

Edited by Demitri_C

I think the biggest cock up was not signing benrama. I truly beleive we could have got him if we met their asking price.

Even if we went down benrama would be so good at championship level.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

For me its a tough one as its between suso and smith.

Suso obviously had a big part in the signings from abroad  but the shambolic performances on the pitch have been totally unacceptable for me.

I edged it smith but suso has to take a lot if the blame too

As you say it's due to a number of factors and people so it's then a bit strange to create a poll where we can only hold one person accountable.  I do think we were hugely hamstrung by having to buy so many players and that was a problem Dean and Suso inherited really.  That's not to say they couldn't both have done better, I just don't think getting relegated is a sackable offence for either right now.  If the on-loan policy was Purslow's then I think that was daft and said so at the time, we could have loaned a winger with pace from somewhere rather than sign Trezeguet permanently for the sake of it and used the extra cash to buy better quality up front for example.

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

The things is we could have maybe utilised the free transfers market. Or maybe a couple loans with a view to permanent if they impress.

Thats what we should have done for samatta i think. As now we are stuck with a player that just does not seem suited to english football

Now this I agree with. I think it was naive not to do this to bulk up the squad.

• Like 1

Just now, Mjvilla said:

Now this I agree with. I think it was naive not to do this to bulk up the squad.

Wahey knew we would get there in the end 😉

We could have done this. I mean we didnt sign any free transfers which is suprising. Would have been better two maybe have got 2 freebies and sign a benrama type player instead of a lame palyer like trez who we are gonna struggle to make any profit on.

I honestly dont see why they hyped him up so much.

Year after year the teams that don’t score go down. We needed a goalscorer and we had plenty of money to spend. We HAD to get it right.

£22m on a non-English speaking youngster from the Jupiter league was a completely unnecessary risk and for me is the biggest single mistake.

If we add another dozen well placed goals to our tally we’re in a far better position.

1 hour ago, AVFCforever1991 said:

The person that said we couldn't sign Benrahma. The guy is pure class and exactly what we need going forward. We should have went all out to sign him.

Yep, I do think it’s that simple. Also think we would have scraped stayed up if we had brought in Bowen in Jan. We just missed that cutting edge.

All are culpable, however the most senior is Purslow so he must be held accountable.

The naiveté of the club from the very top right down to the players has been really embarrassing considering all the positivity from new owners and then promotion. It feels like one step forward and ten back!

25 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I didnt say xia was blameless. I think he is a utter gimp. You want hear me defend him.

Those signed players was three years ago. Tish has gone so that isnt relevant to our premier status same with mccrapmack. Moght as well blame di matteo while we are at it.

My point is xia didnt sign trez aeg or wesley did he? Whose strategy was it? Suso? Smith? Or did sawiris want a player like trez?

All players we had to replace was signed under Xia except Hutton 

I blame Boris and Trump! Total pair of pricks who are to blame for all of the World’s ills! Oh.....and Smith......maybe a bit of Suso.....probably Purslow too........and the players, let’s not forget them.....Who cares as yet again we have blown a massive opportunity! That’s what really effing hurts.

2 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

I think it’s William McGregor’s fault

I blame him, if he hadn’t come up with the league format In the first place then we wouldn’t be getting relegated from anything!!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I can’t vote for any one option because all four have contributed to a terrible season.

A case could be made to include the owners too. They have invested heavily but it looks like they’ve got it wrong with Purslow, Suso and Smith, and their loyalty or reluctance to make a change has left us going down in style. 

I’m not convinced Purslow can turn this club around. He strikes me a as a guy keen on the limelight (post play off interviews, etc.) but I don’t see him having the ability to put a plan together and lead us forward. 

I don’t know much about Suso to be honest but most of our signings have been disastrous which he needs to be held accountable for. They may turn into good players but for this season, we’ve got it badly wrong.

Smith has to take responsibility for the performances on the pitch. In too many games, we have either lacked fight and heart, looked disorganised, given the opposition too much space, given up easily and generally looked like we don’t have a plan. A strong manager would demand better, even if his squad is limited. Our squad is below average but I don’t believe it is significantly worse than Sheffield United, Norwich, Bournemouth, Watford, Burnley, Brighton or Newcastle. McGoldrick just helped SU thump Chelsea for god’s sake. He’s an extremely limited player. I would question the fitness of our players too.

Finally, our players as a group have really let the fans down this season. They haven’t shown the fight we deserved, especially since the restart. Grealish has been superb for most of the season but hasn’t led us since the restart and I get the feeling he’s been flirting with Man Utd the past six months. Hardly what we need in a captain. Too many of our other supposed leaders have gone backwards as the season progressed, such as Mings and McGinn even pre injury. 

For me, our owners need to reflect. They have enough experience in other sports in turning things around. I just hope they find the right advice and make the required changes. I expect heads to roll. I’d love to see them heavily invest in the academy and coaching at the club, putting proper structures in place for us to grow in the right way. Too many of our homegrown players haven’t been good enough to step up to the first team. This shouldn’t be the case for the biggest club in the midlands. Our owners have all the ingredients at their disposal to make this club a success; their wealth, biggest club in England’s second city, fifth most successful club in England’s history, huge fan base in England and abroad, strong brand in Aston Villa and its history, a renowned stadium. Very few clubs in England have these raw materials.

It is time for action. I know we’ve been saying these same things for years but I can only hope our current owners are finally the ones to put things right.  

• Like 1

For me we over achieved in the championship to get promoted.Leeds and WBA had far better teams than us and were consistently at the top.What was our highest position that season 5th?

So we weren’t that great then we signed 12 players many from leagues abroad who were mostly young .What could go wrong with that policy?

Biggest mistake in my mind that has been mentioned here was to get some free transfers and loans from players with premier league experience and add some quality signings to that.I think Purslow is obsessed by signing players young players who will have sell on value.I look at Rodrigues for Burnley he is getting on but I think he cost 5 million that’s the kind of signing we needed.

We are paying for the short term vision of Xia who left us with a weak squad.Our academy hasn’t been able to pro vide some cover in certain positions and that meant we had to buy more players .

Edited by Only2McInallys
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Not many managers are given 150m to do that.  Thats a massive budget.

No one is disputing smith did a incredible job getting us up.

HOWEVER the level of lack of effort and woeful performances i cant accept that sorry. 

Not many of them need 10 players 

Suso. Purslow next, but I'm prepared to cut him some slack. Can you blame the players for not being good enough? A few maybe - there have been a lot of individual errors, but there hasn't been a lack of effort.

Smith couldn't make a silk purse from a sow's ear but by god he tried. 

Purslow for stating that Villa would not loan in players. Purslow being overreliant on Smith doing the hard work of making a brand new team work. Stuff like this might work in baseball, but not in football.

Â