Who you hold accountable?  

97 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you hold accountable?

• Smith
    • Purslow
    • Suso
    • The players

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 31/07/20 at 15:01

5 minutes ago, useless said:

It was the last regime's fault that we had to buy an entire new squad in the summer, with all the money they had to spend that shouldn't have had to happen.

100% this

The shortermism and just get out of the league nature of our last stint there came back to haunt us

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, messi11 said:

I blame the fans for being deluded. Smith,. Purslow and Richard Madeley also. And the players

I would say some fans are incredibly deluded. Not all but a vocal minority 

• Like 1

It's a combination of things for me. The old squad need completely overhauling, Whelan, Hutton, Elmo, Jedinak, Adomah and others, it wasn't in a good state for a couple of seasons and glued together with some decent loan players in Mings, Snoddy, Axel, Tammy, Grabban. We somehow managed to get promoted and while you cant complain about it, we certainly weren't ready for that to happen. We needed a lot of new players and it might look like we spent a lot it had to stretch a long way, Mings looked good at the start, Luiz looks good now, Heaton was hit and miss at times when he was fit, Guilbert & Konsa have shown some promise but the rest have been well below what's required, we needed a couple of gems to appear from this batch of players and we got none.

I don't blame Smith that much, he's tried different formations and during the first half of the season there were games we looked like we had a decent plan and were doing okay. Injuries to McGinn, Wesley & Heaton seem to have hit us hard and it shows the drop off in quality when we had to replace them.

Smith might look tactically poor to some but I think he's in a crap spot with the player we have available right now, it almost doesn't matter what team we put out it just massively lacks any real quality all over the pitch. I don't know who signed these players but that's where the failures are for me. If Smith picked them all, it's on him, if it was Suso then likewise.

• Like 4

Only one of them is the Boss and has to pay. 

More than that though, I'm looking ahead, and while Smith would possibly get us promoted again, I don't want him to be in charge the next time we're in PL.

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Xia didnt sign these players did he?

Xia didnt appoint smith did he?

Xia isnt control of our finances is he?

I have no idea where to start with this!!! WOW.

No, he didn't sign these players. He signed cheques to allow us to sign shit like McCormack, tshibola and lots of other shit players on big contracts. He started the squad upheaval. He put us in the position we were in the summer with no squad.

Xia appointed RDM and Bruce. Neither of whom could get us promoted. The second of which was quite happy signing old players or loan players to suit his own short term agenda and leaving us with no long term plan. Again, putting us in the position of having no squad on the summer.

Xia isn't in control of our finances but the control of the finances when he was in charge left us in the position of having old players on short but big contracts meaning that, just a short while later, we get promoted but have no squad to go up with.

The previous regime is far more to blame than any of the current crop. The current crop have their flaws. They've played their part in our relegation this season, no question. But the previous regime left us in an unprecedented position of getting promoted but having no squad to be promoted with. 

So, yes, I'd put the blame there mostly. But part of the blame going to all 4 mentioned in the poll.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Xia, Wyness and Bruce is why 12 new players were needed 

If you dont see this was the issue then whats the point of the thread

Could have addressed it in january? Could have signed some free transfers.

Or how about using more youngsters? 

Yes many players left but how long we gonna keep blaming that clown xia?

I do really believe we could have got out of this if we had a manager that was aasnt so out of his depth that smith is.

Also if we didnt gamble with untested premier league players.  That wasnt xia was it?

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

I do really believe we could have got out of this if we had a manager that was aasnt so out of his depth that smith is.

Also if we didnt gamble with untested premier league players.  That wasnt xia was it?

Since this is your thread, was the point of the thread that we can only pick one and then hold that person accountable for everything?

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

I'll ask again here, has a manager ever taken over a team struggling in the championship - 1 win in 9. Got them promoted, built at entire squad and kept them up?

The shithole we were in when Smith took over was unprecedented, certainly at this club. 

• Like 1

Just now, Mjvilla said:

I have no idea where to start with this!!! WOW.

No, he didn't sign these players. He signed cheques to allow us to sign shit like McCormack, tshibola and lots of other shit players on big contracts. He started the squad upheaval. He put us in the position we were in the summer with no squad.

Xia appointed RDM and Bruce. Neither of whom could get us promoted. The second of which was quite happy signing old players or loan players to suit his own short term agenda and leaving us with no long term plan. Again, putting us in the position of having no squad on the summer.

Xia isn't in control of our finances but the control of the finances when he was in charge left us in the position of having old players on short but big contracts meaning that, just a short while later, we get promoted but have no squad to go up with.

The previous regime is far more to blame than any of the current crop. The current crop have their flaws. They've played their part in our relegation this season, no question. But the previous regime left us in an unprecedented position of getting promoted but having no squad to be promoted with. 

So, yes, I'd put the blame there mostly. But part of the blame going to all 4 mentioned in the poll.

I didnt say xia was blameless. I think he is a utter gimp. You want hear me defend him.

Those signed players was three years ago. Tish has gone so that isnt relevant to our premier status same with mccrapmack. Moght as well blame di matteo while we are at it.

My point is xia didnt sign trez aeg or wesley did he? Whose strategy was it? Suso? Smith? Or did sawiris want a player like trez?

2 minutes ago, sne said:

Since this is your thread, was the point of the thread that we can only pick one and then hold that person accountable for everything?

I must admit i did forget to put "other" as a option so apologies about that

• Like 2

The problem with this is some people have the opinion that Smith has little or no say in recruitment. I don’t believe that myself but it’s impossible to say unless Smith comes out and says it.

The recruitment was the problem. I said it in the summer and got hounded for my opinion. The quantity of poor quality, risky signings was what did us in.

I’d rather us have risked a smaller squad of proven PL players, or players from comparable top fight leagues than what we actually did.

• Like 1

Purslow takes the most blame 

He was the one who decided on the transfer policy ie young and no loans 

He appointed Suso and Smith and then sat and watched them fail and did nothing

His comments preseason look laughably now and it looks like the Liverpool fans where right about him ...I think he talks a good game and on an admin/marketing  level he may be good but I think his football knowledge is clearly lacking.He is starting to look like another Tom Fox 

2 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

I'll ask again here, has a manager ever taken over a team struggling in the championship - 1 win in 9. Got them promoted, built at entire squad and kept them up?

The shithole we were in when Smith took over was unprecedented, certainly at this club. 

Not many managers are given 150m to do that.  Thats a massive budget.

No one is disputing smith did a incredible job getting us up.

HOWEVER the level of lack of effort and woeful performances i cant accept that sorry. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Xia, Wyness and Bruce is why 12 new players were needed 

If you dont see this was the issue then whats the point of the thread

Yes, to a degree. Problem was also that too many of the 12 were duds. If we’d have bought better we’d have been ok.

Â