Ratings & Reactions: Liverpool v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

135 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/07/20 at 22:59

23 minutes ago, Paul33 said:

That's quite a shout for someone who didn't watch the game !!!

Not that you'll care either way but we actually played pretty well, solid at the back, worked our sacks off in midfield, looked dangerous on the counter. A number of decent chances created, matched the Bin Dippers on shots on goal and lost to one slack moment from Taylor and a deflection off Mingsy.

No points but don't tell me we were terrible because today we weren't and deserve some credit !   

Can't do much more than that. 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, wilko154 said:

then it is down to the team to secure some points in the 'easier' fixtures. 

We are still in this. 

The issue is that we have the same problems against the poorer teams. We didn't create much against either Sheffield United or Newcastle. It's okay that we look a bit better defensively now but the major problems we have aren't going anywhere. 

Edited by villa89

I thought it was a very good performance, the formation and line up was very good, I saw it as a 4-2-3-1, very good decision to have two holding mf, Luiz and McGinn were very good. Also made sense to give Jack a free role behind the striker. Too bad he was feeling his foot throughout. We looked solid and actually created more chances than they did. Up until the goal we looked the more likely to score in the first. With a bit of luck we could have come away with a point. Our performances so far have warrented more points, it normally evens out in the long run so I'm despite the defeat more hopefull now than before. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

I appreciate your summary, thanks. I didn’t realize I had to watch the game to have an opinion of our 2-0 loss to Liverpool.

I didn’t make any comment on the game today because as I said I didn’t watch it, my comment was purely based on losing yet another game in what has been an awful season.

Well done you, had a word we my dog earlier he didn’t watch game either but thought we gave a good account or ourselves seeing as it was only 2-0

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AVFCDAN said:

Sell Grealish for 40 million

Why ask for that much, surely £20m would be more than enough? :( When players do leave, we need to do a Daniel Levy/Brentford on buying clubs (namely we fix an above market price and we stick to it).

Back to today's game. We put in a shift and were not humiliated, as many of us, had feared that we might be. Liverpool don't lose home league games, even when they aren't at their best. Hopefully the boys can take some confidence from this one, into our remaining games. We go again.

• Like 3

We look solid defensively but weak in attack.We had a number of good attacking positions but seemed to lack belief that we could score.

Can we stay up? Yes we need Watford to not beat Newcastle (assuming they will beat Norwich)and we need to beat Palace.

Offensively we look weaker than any Villa team for many years and I think that is due to poor recruitment strategy .I think there was an obsession with recruiting young players with sell on value .Purslow suggested that loans were not good business but last year Abraham and Azel were brilliant for us and got us promoted .We needed some high quality loan signings to help the hugely inexperienced squad.

Edited by Only2McInallys

11 hours ago, MrBlack said:

I fully appreciate that they were always more likely to win, and that the subs they brought on would change the game. I even expected it to be honest,  but changing nothing when they bring on 3 World class players is suicide. Its a defeatist approach.

Wasted opportunity in my eyes.

Still, we looked a lot better so if we carry that on for the remainder of the season we may get more luck. Players looked a lot fitter so hopefully a sign of improvement

But, you look around at your bench, and see the crap that is sitting there... It will make you hesitate in bringing them on.

They are crap. All I saw in the match thread was about making a change and then moaning about what the subs did. This is because they are crap. He doesn't make a change, we tire and lose. He makes a change and we are alot weaker on the pitch and we lose. It's no win. 

I've read no end of comments on us and how we aren't coached and aren't set up well by a terrible manager. 

Yesterday, I saw us defend well as a unit. I saw us work hard and battle. I saw us show composure on the ball in defence allowing us to break and get up the pitch. I saw us break with numbers and at speed. I saw us press and pressure the opposition into mistakes. I saw us pressing high up the pitch and into the midfield. 

We looked a well drilled, well coached team yesterday, for those that actually watched and didn't look at the score at the end and think 'oh we lost, Dean Smith out'. We didn't look like a team that has stopped playing for the manager. We didn't look like a team that believes we are down already. 

What I did see was a team that lacks quality. Lacks the ability to make the decision that'll carve open the opposition for a real clear cut chance. And when a team lacks quality and you look to your bench and what's there is worse... I'm not sure what else to do or say to be honest.

This weekend has seen us really test the champions of England.  Our closest rivals rolled over at Chelsea and had their bellies tickled. If we were playing Norwich this midweek, we would be reading 'we will still get beat ' but as it's not us it's 'guaranteed 3 points'. I've never known such a negative set of people. You're all probably right, and talking out my arse. But jeez my life would be miserable if I was constantly as negative as you lot.

• Like 4

Can't fault trez's workrate but he just isn't prem quality. If we could have got someone like Bowen instead we would be much better off. 

A midfield 3 of Grealish, McGinn and Luiz is prem quality but we just don't have the killer instinct up top.

Although I thought Konsa had a good game it's really frustrating seeing him as right back and 2 left footers as CB. Hause looks so awkward on the ball although he was quite good in the air. Need Guilbert at right back especially as Taylor doesn't offer anything going forward on the other side.

Sadly can't see us scoring enough goals to stay up.

Luiz great again. McGinn had his best game in ages (including pre injury). El Ghazi also played well. Disappointing result in the end but they’ve won every game at home this season and think most last year too. 

16 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

Everyone on here should know my position on Dean Smith by now and it's the same position I had long before he was appointed.

Same as me then.

A mid table championship manager should never be in contention for the Villa job.

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

I voted manager's performance poor.

Simply because he didn't react to Klopp's changes. Been a theme all season.

Smith isn't proactive and it's one of the reasons we are going down.

what would you of done differently? 

52 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Same as me then.

A mid table championship manager should never be in contention for the Villa job.

5th is not midtable.

25 minutes ago, villaluke said:

what would you of done differently? 

5th is not midtable.

I would have subbed off tired legs around the 60th minute to try to counter Klopp's changes.

We needed legs to compete with them. I would also possibly have changed it to 5 at the back to try to secure a draw.

If you watched Brighton vs Norwich Potter actually changed formation in the 2nd half to counter Farke's offensive changes and it worked. It's called being proactive.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, villalad21 said:

If you watched Brighton vs Norwich Potter actually changed formation in the 2nd half to counter Farke's offensive changes and it worked. It's called being proactive.

No, that's the very definition of reactive.

• Like 3

Â