The economic impact of Covid-19

Genie

39 minutes ago, Genie said:

What’s wrong with popular food outlets which employ thousands of people using the scheme?

I’m not sure where you’ve seen me say it’s wrong.

There was a splinter to the debate about food quality and I offered my guess Spoons and Pizza Hut would get more money from it than local whole food restaurants.

Another guess on my part, the food in Pizza Hut and Spoons, not being the same quality as my local sole trader restaurant.

Incidentally, on another side, independents around here traditionally close on Tuesdays. Theyndon’t have to and if it creates enough business, I’m bloody sure they be open. Spoons will defo be open though.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I’m not sure where you’ve seen me say it’s wrong.

There was a splinter to the debate about food quality and I offered my guess Spoons and Pizza Hut would get more money from it than local whole food restaurants.

I thought it was a criticism of the scheme, apologies if it was not.

It kinda goes without saying that the more popular restaurants with more tables, more customers and more restaurants will claim more of the vouchers.

5 minutes ago, Genie said:

I thought it was a criticism of the scheme, apologies if it was not.

It kinda goes without saying that the more popular restaurants with more tables, more customers and more restaurants will claim more of the vouchers.

I do find it a bit tragic that so much of the money will go to companies like that though. The jobs on the ground are no less worth saving, but how many millions do these companies have? They'll probably be paying dividends to their shareholders again within a year or two, which would,I guess be a good thing, it just doesn't feel great bailing out global chains.

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

I do find it a bit tragic that so much of the money will go to companies like that though. The jobs on the ground are no less worth saving, but how many millions do these companies have? They'll probably be paying dividends to their shareholders again within a year or two, which would,I guess be a good thing, it just doesn't feel great bailing out global chains.

There’s thousands of jobs being shed with chain restaurants closing for good. I’m imagine they are many millions in debt.

A very quick google showed:

Zizi and Ask Italian losing 1,200 jobs

Frankie and Bennys losing 3,000 jobs

Chiquito losing 1,500 jobs

Carluccios lising 1,000 jobs 

Pret A Manger losing 1,000 jobs

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

I wonder how many of those thousands of jobs would have been saved by the 13 day £10 voucher offer?

That’s my point.

It’s a weird distraction.

My guess it is none. Because redundancy for those has already happened or in motion.  Those vouchers will help the exec to remain in place for a further time being and not much else.

4 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

I wonder how many of those thousands of jobs would have been saved by the 13 day £10 voucher offer?

That’s my point.

It’s a weird distraction.

I think they woild have lost their jobs anyways tbh  

Why cant these chains close stores and retain staff though even on oart tjme contracts so they have some earnings the staff?

When yoh go places like zizzi they are usually so shorg staffed does make you wonder. Same with pret and ask

I think the short and medium term prospects of restaurants are pretty bleak so they’re taking the difficult decision to close the least profitable branches just to allow some others to remain trading.

1 hour ago, Genie said:

I think the short and medium term prospects of restaurants are pretty bleak so they’re taking the difficult decision to close the least profitable branches just to allow some others to remain trading.

I think as well alot of people are now using services like deliveroo just eat etc more so thats having a impact on chains that are not on those platforms.

8 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Can't say I've seen this for years either. It is 2020 where you are, right? :D

I'll take your word for it that some do, but it must be an extreme minority.

It doesn't seem uncommon to me. I probably get food from about a dozen places semi-regularly; of those, 2 are closed on both Mondays and Tuesdays (Bonehead in Birmingham city centre, and a Chinese takeaway in Stourbridge).

On 19/07/2020 at 23:20, HanoiVillan said:

It doesn't seem uncommon to me. I probably get food from about a dozen places semi-regularly; of those, 2 are closed on both Mondays and Tuesdays (Bonehead in Birmingham city centre, and a Chinese takeaway in Stourbridge).

They are both take aways aren’t they? The comment was about restaurants being closed on Monday and Tuesdays, I’ve never personally come across a restaurant that closes on those days.

(The Chinese take away we use is closed on Monday’s - except bank holiday Mondays)

1 hour ago, Genie said:

They are both take aways aren’t they? The comment was about restaurants being closed on Monday and Tuesdays, I’ve never personally come across a restaurant that closes on those days.

(The Chinese take away we use is closed on Monday’s - except bank holiday Mondays)

Same here with the Chinese always closed on a Monday. I wonder if it is a national thing. They only deliver on a Saturday and Sunday as well not in the week?

Edited by Follyfoot

13 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Same here with the Chinese always closed on a Monday. I wonder if it is a national thing.

I live opposite a Chinese takeaway and it’s closed on Tuesdays. As was the previous incarnation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Bonehead isn't a takeaway, really,mainly a restaurant. Anyway, it's not the most important thing, but I don't think it's as unheard of as it was portrayed for restaurants to be closed on Mondays and/or Tuesdays. 

41 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Before the zombie apocalypse I travelled a fair bit with my job.

It was definitely quite common for restaurants to be closed on Mondays and or Tuesdays.

It's fairly traditional. Monday and Tuesday were typically quieter, so if you wanted to take a day off then you'll do it when it'll have the lowest impact on your livelihood. 

Then when chain restaurants arrived and opened every day, prioritising availability of their product over making every day profitable, that pushed more of the smaller ones into offering the same service. 

So everyone is right. You don't seen it very often, but that doesn't mean that it isn't a thing.

Edited by ml1dch
  • Like 1

When Mrs H and the kids go off to Hungary for a few weeks in the summer , Monday’s are always KFC night as most of the other take always , Chinese , Indian etc are closed ... sometimes if I am organised I order double Chinese on the Sunday and have the left overs on Monday , I’m not so keen on KFC now the cute Polish girl doesn’t work there anymore 

Â