The economic impact of Covid-19

Genie

This was Leicester Square on Friday night around 21:00.... the boy and I went to China Town , Wong Kei had 3 people in it and we were 2 of them ... It seemed to be the restaurants that had been able to put tables outside had more customers but I’ve never seen china town so dead , or indeed the streets of London ... 

873F5014-96AB-4C0C-9C74-44191FB29436.jpeg

1 minute ago, tonyh29 said:

This was Leicester Square on Friday night around 21:00.... the boy and I went to China Town , Wong Kei had 3 people in it and we were 2 of them ... It seemed to be the restaurants that had been able to put tables outside had more customers but I’ve never seen china town so dead , or indeed the streets of London ... 

Hopefully things pick up when the voucher scheme comes in.

31 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

I do. They're pricks.

Every single one? How many do you know?

46 minutes ago, bickster said:

I really don't think I do tbh

They exist for sure but they usually have to crawl from under rocks when they vote

We voted to remain

You'll remember no-one reads the S** either. There is a correlation here, a very strong one

Round here someone who reads the S** most definitely is a prick, he'll also be the prick who voted Tory and for Brexit

But we all know why that is where you live. 😁

8 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Ive never seen it this bad tone. Alot of it is people don't want to get the tube.

How many businesses are going to survive down there with the astronomical rents they have to pay? Its going to get very bad down here

9 minutes ago, Genie said:

I hope you’re right, but personally I don’t see £10 off a pizza on Tuesdays during August fixing this.

• Like 1

Just now, chrisp65 said:

I hope you’re right, but personally I don’t see £10 off a pizza on Tuesdays during August fixing this.

I’m pretty sure it applies to other things too, and other days.

It probably isn’t a silver bullet for the industry but hopefully it’ll give them a lifeline. Doing nothing will certainly lead to a collapse.

8 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Have they mentioned any T n C on the voucher schemes? Most chains would be on a half price menu anyway so like most promotional offer, the likelihood is that you probably won't be able to use the voucher. 

1 minute ago, Genie said:

I’m pretty sure it applies to other things too, and other days.

It probably isn’t a silver bullet for the industry but hopefully it’ll give them a lifeline. Doing nothing will certainly lead to a collapse.

Yes, according to the government website, the deal is available for a total of 13 days during August. Burgers are also included.

I’m booking my hotel to go down to London, the offer’s too good to miss.

Just as companies are looking at their individual circumstances and deciding that whatever clown man says it isn’t sensible for them to go back to their high rise office headquarters, so 4,000,000 people under threat of redundancy are thinking perhaps now isn’t the time to eat in restaurants or take advantage of £5,000 off a quarter of a million pound property deal.

I’d be happiest if I was totally wrong. Been through this twice before, let’s hope we do it different the third time.

• Haha 1

On 17/07/2020 at 16:26, chrisp65 said:

Me: I’d quite like to work from home 3 days a week and if everyone else does that, no need for a relief road and no need to be getting home at 8

Bang on.

Our company have come out and said 'fair play, working from home works' and set up a survey to get the majority opinion on the future. I think we're heading to a hybrid model with 3-2 either way, from my team's opinions.

The opposition to masks in the UK are for the weirdest reasons.

We've had mandatory mask wearing over here since March in some capacity or another, and it's just taken as normal. Nobody dying of heatstroke or from not being able to breathe. Shopping centres are as busy as they were.

So my only assumption is to stop being manbabies. :D 

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Bang on.

Our company have come out and said 'fair play, working from home works' and set up a survey to get the majority opinion on the future. I think we're heading to a hybrid model with 3-2 either way, from my team's opinions.

Similar for us. We did a big survey and the feeling was it was working much better than anticipated. Initially a lot of work was done to bring people back safely, that’s been scrapped. There is no rush now to bring people back in.

36 minutes ago, Genie said:

Tbf the other side of the road Into the more cosmopolitan side of Soho was rammed , they have blocked the side roads and made them outdoor table service bar areas , hundred of people there without a care in the world ..so people seem happy to drink beer , it’s just the rest of the industry that needs the boost now .. I’m kinda with Chris here , £5 of a pizza on Monday night doesn’t really do it for me , but we shall see

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StefanAVFC said:

The opposition to masks in the UK are for the weirdest reasons.

We've had mandatory mask wearing over here since March in some capacity or another, and it's just taken as normal. Nobody dying of heatstroke or from not being able to breathe. Shopping centres are as busy as they were.

So my only assumption is to stop being manbabies. :D 

I was shocked just how many people are against them because it’s just the government wanting to control us... The national curriculum really needs to have a module on how to not be a stupid clearing in the woods who believes any old conspiracy shit that is doing the rounds on social media.

• Like 2

After our hike yesterday we got the bus back to seaford and about 80% were wearing masks on the bus , figure would have been higher but a group of 12 teenagers got on and  being bullet proof they weren’t wearing them .... when we did the similar bus ride 2 weeks ago , it was about 5% wearing masks ... slowly people are taking it up 

Also remember Poland is a much hotter country than the UK.

Yeah it's a bit uncomfortable but the quicker it's done, the quicker it'll all be over. Late July for mandatory mask wearing is just a joke.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I’m kinda with Chris here , £5 of a pizza on Monday night doesn’t really do it for me , but we shall see

What’s the obsession with Pizza? :lol:

Its 50% off all food during half of the week, combined with a VAT reduction. It’ll boost the industry for certain. Will it be enough? Who knows, but if not then maybe the offer will be enhanced or extended to create more pull.

Edited by Genie

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

You telling me you dont know any tory voters? Do you go to their faces and call them pricks? Not just you but some other sayings that say they stand with you. Id bet they dont.

The Tory voters I know have mainly split into two camps.

Most have gone quiet. Looking on in horror as the reality they've been conned has become undeniable. 

Then there's those that aren't accepting they're wrong. You can almost hear the fuses popping, and there's been some impressive fountains of ignorant, ill targeted anger on FB, doubling down on the stupid. 

Unsurprisingly I have more sympathy for the first group, but the consequences of those ill considered votes are dire, and as UK races to the bottom, possibly fragmenting on its bumpy ride down, the fact that they're my friends doesn't exclude them from being ignorant pricks.

• Like 1

Â