The economic impact of Covid-19

Genie

4 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

So a relative gets dementia they need to go in a home (not sure if you have seen how ridiculously expensive this is)  you sell the house run out of money then what? Or do you keep it rented privately or to the council whoever and that pays for their care and its basically no profit to the owner.

These are the decisions people have to make 🤷‍♂️

I'm well aware how expensive nursing homes and home help are, I've had elderly relatives too.

One political party went into the last election promising a National Care Service that was free at the point of use, and would have meant nobody needed to decide whether to sell a home or not to fund their or their relatives' care.

I wonder what happened to that.

8 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

These are the decisions people have to make 🤷‍♂️

I'm well aware how expensive nursing homes and home help are, I've had elderly relatives too.

Then if you are aware then you should understand why people rent houses out as they have no option. 

Also when your selling a house you get absolutely ripped apart on capotal gains and all the other legal costs.

You really wanna put a frail elderly person through that?

2 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

One political party went into the last election promising a National Care Service that was free at the point of use, and would have meant nobody needed to decide whether to sell a home or not to fund their or their relatives' care.

Guy running it was a **** prick amiright?!

Anywho... With the way the economy is looking a lot of private landlords are about to have a sharp awakening. As are their tenants.

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Then if you are aware then you should understand why people rent houses out as they have no option. 

Also when your selling a house you get absolutely ripped apart on capotal gains and all the other legal costs.

You really wanna put a frail elderly person through that?

See the post directly above yours for my answer to this.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Anywho... With the way the economy is looking a lot of private landlords are about to have a sharp awakening. As are their tenants.

I think it will. It will benefit the tenants more because landlords cant get greedy and charge stupid rates off people. 

I think they need to look at the eviction process also

10 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Probably blame covid 19 now ;)

52 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Big difference between a 2k cab that can be cleaned to someone  ruining a house sale for hundreds of thousands of pounds

Not really at all. The bigger the gamble (for that is what any investment is) the bigger the potential downside. If you aren’t prepared for the downside, don’t place the bet

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

Not really at all. The bigger the gamble (for that is what any investment is) the bigger the potential downside. If you aren’t prepared for the downside, don’t place the bet

Renting a house out is more than a bet bicks. As stated previously not everyone looks at it as a investment but more as a source of income

On your basis then no one should apply for a different job or look in a different field if your not prepared for the downside as you call it.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Your a decent guy chris you can express your point without that comment thats all im saying. It makes your point look hypocritical.

We all spout our views and they’re all varied. But someone suggesting breaking the law to kick someone out during a pandemic? Nah, that was a bit too rich for me.

I get your point completely, but if that didn’t warrant a rude comment, nothing ever will.

I’m a nice enough guy, generally, one of my best mates has made a career out of buying and renting property. So I’m not just plain anti-landlord, there are good ones. Giving advice to **** people’s live’s up? That’s about as low as it gets.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bickster said:

You want to be a private landlord, don’t complain when the downside of your investment happens.

Sure, though the impact of a global pandemic is perhaps something of an extraordinary thing, and all sorts of people have suffered all sorts of consequences. Dem's issue seems more around the timing of pandemic measures adversely impacting, than "normal" law or circumstances. And like with your Taxi example, people will still have sympathy.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, blandy said:

Sure, though the impact of a global pandemic is perhaps something of an extraordinary thing, and all sorts of people have suffered all sorts of consequences. Dem's issue seems more around the timing of pandemic measures adversely impacting, than "normal" law or circumstances. And like with your Taxi example, people will still have sympathy.

Absolutely. If this were nromal circumstances my missus could go tomorrow get a warrant for eviction but due to covid have to wait a extra 4 weeks (others have to wait longer!) So it gets frustrating.  

12 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

We all spout our views and they’re all varied. But someone suggesting breaking the law to kick someone out during a pandemic? Nah, that was a bit too rich for me.

I get your point completely, but if that didn’t warrant a rude comment, nothing ever will.

I’m a nice enough guy, generally, one of my best mates has made a career out of buying and renting property. So I’m not just plain anti-landlord, there are good ones. Giving advice to **** people’s live’s up? That’s about as low as it gets.

Good to hear your not anti-landlords as most people who have commented have. You have a lot of shit tenants out there that equally as bad as these nasty landlords.

They are entitled to be anti-landlordthat way mind you but their reasoning i dont agree with and tyw generalizing that they are bad people.

34 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Absolutely. If this were nromal circumstances my missus could go tomorrow get a warrant for eviction but due to covid have to wait a extra 4 weeks (others have to wait longer!) So it gets frustrating.  

The point here is though, it's been three months notice for some time now

35 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Good to hear your not anti-landlords as most people who have commented have.

I'm not anti-Landlord, I rent and I have a very nice one. Also in the past I've been one myself

• Like 1

Sorry to hear of your trouble @Demitri_C. Like you said, there are bad landlords and tenants and good landlords and tenants. The situation of what your GF is going through is exactly the reason I decided not to get a second property. Hope you get it sorted soon.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Absolutely. If this were nromal circumstances my missus could go tomorrow get a warrant for eviction

Are you sure?

She'd have to make a claim for possession to the county court first, no? Even if it's through the accelerated procedure, it doesn't look possible to get a warrant or writ for eviction until after the previous bits of the process have been completed which wouldn't happen instantly whatever the circumstances, it doesn't look like.

13 hours ago, snowychap said:

Are you sure?

She'd have to make a claim for possession to the county court first, no? Even if it's through the accelerated procedure, it doesn't look possible to get a warrant or writ for eviction until after the previous bits of the process have been completed which wouldn't happen instantly whatever the circumstances, it doesn't look like.

You misunderstood the point she would go for the warrant not having to wait four weeks to do it as you cant apply to the court for a warrant order for eviction until 23rd august so 4th weeks just to apply.

Its stupid you should still be able to apply now if your in the process of selling a house for example. 

14 hours ago, Xela said:

Sorry to hear of your trouble @Demitri_C. Like you said, there are bad landlords and tenants and good landlords and tenants. The situation of what your GF is going through is exactly the reason I decided not to get a second property. Hope you get it sorted soon.

Thanks mate. This is one of the reasons the missus is selling not just the funding of a house but the headache of it dealing with clowns like this

17 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

You’re right Dem, it’s not cool. I am not always cool.

I'll say it before your kids do , but you've never been cool :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, bickster said:

. It’s like a taxi driver complaining that a drunk person threw up in their taxi. You let the drunk person in and took the gamble , you have to deal with the downside of that

OT a little but before lockdown I was at a pub and these two drunk girls were all over the place , one of them fell down the stairs was lucky not to crack her head  ... whilst most people just stood around laughing or trying to see if they could get off with them , I booked them a taxi ... he turned up , saw the state of them and said if they puke it s £200 cleaning bill I'm sending you  .... seeing as I wasn't getting in the taxi with them, and he didn't know who I was, I agreed   .... I'll never know if they puked or not   ..or if they are now buried under some trees in a forest for that matter 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We've had a second property for about 15 years, that we used to let, and then our daughter and her husband lived it for several years. After they finally bought a place of their own last year, we decided to sell it. Worked like stink renovating and redecorating, had a buyer lined up - and then the pandemic hit. The buyer got cold feet and pulled out of the deal. Finally got another buyer, and managed to complete the day before yesterday. The day before the Bradford lockdown. Phew. 

• Like 4

Â