The economic impact of Covid-19

Genie

The tide has turned on this one (as I think someone on here speculated it would eventually).

An Edinburgh fish and chip owner, who wishes to remain anonymous, said: "I had a call from a nurse at a hospital asking for a free meal for her colleagues, it was five suppers and came to about £40.

"I asked her why and she said because it would help with all the stress they were going through at the moment.

"A week later two nurses in their uniforms came into my shop and one asked for a discount and when I said no she started arguing with me. I was saying you earn a full wage but she kept asking and asking until her colleague stepped in and said enough and told her to pay.

"Last night I had a man who said he was a paramedic who asked for an NHS discount but when my staff said no he was fine about it.

"I like to help everyone but unfortunately there is only so much we can do.

"NHS staff keep asking and it's not right. It would make our life much easier if they would please stop asking for discounts."

Janis Butler, NHS Lothian's director of human resources and organisational development, said: "We have been humbled by the support of our communities right across Edinburgh and the Lothians during the pandemic.

"Local business, schools, organisations and individual members of the public made many generous offers of food and supplies to our staff and patients at the height of the pandemic.

"We offer our thanks again to them all for these extraordinarily generous gestures of their appreciation for the hard work and dedication of our staff.

"The overwhelming majority of our staff know that it is not appropriate or acceptable to request free or discounted foods and we would expect all our staff to treat traders with courtesy and respect."

She added that they had not received any complaints from local businesses.

BBC

There's nothing wrong with asking if they are offering a discount as quite a lot of places still are. Imagine expecting your entire meal for free though?!

There are well over a million NHS workers. Some of them are bound to be massive clearings in the woods. Still that hardly seem like news, really. Some people have asked, been told no, and gone on with their business. 1 person argued, and had their colleague tell them to shut up and pay. We're looking at 2 unreasonable people out of how many? That's all it takes to justify a BBC article these days?

"Very small number of customers are unreasonable, tune in to Panarama for the full report"

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Davkaus said:

There's nothing wrong with asking if they are offering a discount as quite a lot of places still are. Imagine expecting your entire meal for free though?!

Helps with stress though, didn't you read the article? 

If thats the case we can do away with psychiatrists and expensive stress medication and just prescribe everyone a battered cod and chips. No gravy though, lets not be silly about things. 

1 hour ago, Xela said:

No gravy though, lets not be silly about things. 

That’s the kind of frankly contradictory advice that you’d expect from this government, not a man of your otherwise unblemished reputation!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

I was reading on LinkedIn that a lot of jobs that are advertised don’t actually exist, it’s just for recruiters to boost their database of personal details.

You spend money catching the bus in to town for a job interview where they genuinely sound like you might be in with a chance. Awkward, in a shirt n tie, you sit there waiting to be called in. You realise the address is another agency. They ask all the same questions again. They say nothing specific about this job you sound ideal for. They’ll let you know.

Same in ‘84, same in ‘85.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Genie said:

I was reading on LinkedIn that a lot of jobs that are advertised don’t actually exist, it’s just for recruiters to boost their database of personal details.

Wow really. Well if there is any jobs i guess they have tk be active some how

This week there are two covid-safe stand-up comedy trials taking place in the UK. One of them is a place I frequently visit, Just The Tonic in Nottingham.

The comedians will wear visors, there's reduced capacity to enforce social distancing, and all customers need to wear face masks. I think I'll give it a miss.

They're all very sensible precautions, I'm not criticising them at all, but it just completely ruins the atmosphere. I'd be on edge all evening and not enjoy the show. Some industries are really going to struggle until this is over.

• Like 1

I put this in the virus thread but it probably belongs here

Postcode checker for the eat out scheme now live.

Link

I noticed none of the McDonald’s/KFC/Burger King/Pizza outlets by me have signed up. 

A couple of the nicer restaurants have so will probably use it at least once.

Edited by Genie

36 minutes ago, Genie said:

Link

I noticed none of the McDonald’s/KFC/Burger King/Pizza outlets by me have signed up. 

53 results for me locally. Nowhere that I regularly go to eat. Some places I've never wanted to go, a couple I'd go to if my arm was twisted (Both Italians, I don't go out for Italian as a rule) and a french place I wouldn't go to under the current circumstances because it's so tiny but is on my list of places I want to try (just not right now)

The two closest places to me are tea rooms in garden centres. There is a much closer pub, that I normally avoid because the price/ portion ratio has been the wrong side of acceptable for me for ages, that I would have gone to had they been participating. Similarly the three other local pubs I go to eat at (2 Greene King one Brunning and Price) also don't feature.

Interesting that Costa Coffee are participating. I guess it’s basically 2 for 1 on toastier and cakes.

I have found a restaurant locally that I didn’t know existed. So I shall do a drive by and check out Veman’s Junk Food (no, really).

Don't use chains, try to find little indies that will need the money more than Costa or maccys! They are out there!

Also,if you have one, AMEX are doing a thing called shop local. You spend a tenner, and they give you a fiver back! And again there are loads of little indies on the scheme

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Genie said:

Link

Mmm, yum yum yum.

EeABBG-XgAcTJLs?format=jpg&name=large

• Haha 4

I'm slightly worried the QA and general handling of this economic crisis will make the economic life of the average working man even harder for the next 20 years.

With the financial systems we run we've come to expect crisis, recession and regular setbacks that involve increased unemployment and everything that goes with it.

This time they've saved the companies by throwing money at the big boys. The "tricle down effect" has been close to non existant. 

They haven't managed to erase this economic crisis, but they've postponed it for a year or 5, and when shit hits the fan it's going to be so much worse than anything we've seen before. Oil is already a forever changed market. Automation and IOT is changing everything. Tech sectors is obscenely priced already. Traditional big employment sectors like car manufacturing, oil and banking are all seeing massive changes. When this happen, the credit crunch will be massive and lets be honest it's the working people that will get hit. 

I feel kinda sick to my stomach about it. It could and should have been handled a lot differently. 

But then again maybe I'm wrong. I'm not exactly Daniel Kahneman

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Like 1

My missus is having a problem with her tenant. She is in the process of selling her house. Their tenancy expired and we did it all the right way gave them 8 weeks notice to find somewhere to leave. The house sale was suppose to be completed next week but now tenants wont leave. They know we cant evict them due to covid19 protection form the government as all evictions are frozen. so now she has a problem as the sale could fall through. 

I get tenants need to be protected for covid19 who fall in errears but what about people like her? She stands to lose hundreds of thousands if collapses from what she would have got. Then there is all the other fees from all the solictor fees etc

Some people just take the piss

Â