All time Villa XI for Villa Park - Goalkeeper

OutByEaster?

At a previous Heritage and History supporters group meeting, the club discussed filling the 11 framed spaces in the brickwork on the side of the Holte  End with an All Time Aston Villa XI.  We've agreed to help them create a shortlist for each position which they'll allow season ticket holders and members to vote on.

Therefore, we would like to start this process by asking for your help in creating a shortlist of players for each position.

To help a little in narrowing selection, the club have created some parameters from the outset.

There have been many players and many formations played over the years. The club see a 4-4-2 as the simplest interpretation of how to fill a side.  The use of roman numerals is deliberate.  Players will have worn all sorts of numbers and that number would relate to a different position not only depending on the formation - with the introduction of modern squad numbers anything goes!

To make the short list, we would ask that players have done at least one of these things:

• Played at least 100 times for Villa
  • Won a major trophy with Villa 
  • Played in a promotion season with Villa

Please try and take in to account the “ALL TIME” element, and don’t restrict this to players you have seen play.  The Harry Hamptons of our history should be taken in to account.

You don't have to name ten, the idea is that we come up with a list of ten that season ticket holders and members can vote on - name as few or as many as you'd like. 

So, your thoughts on goalkeepers - i'll add an ongoing list to this post, so you can see who we're recommending.

We have until 7th May.

• Jimmy Rimmer
  • Mark Bosnich
  • Nigel Spink
  • John Burridge
  • Jim Cumbes
  • Brad Friedel
  • Brad Guzan
  • Billy George
  • Sam Hardy
  • Nigel Sims

Friedel was great for us, a solid presence back there and he played during a successful period for the club. Guzan should get a mention too I think, both inspired signings by O’Neill

Edited by sir_gary_cahill

3 hours ago, PaulC said:

I didn't actually think Spink was very good. Rimmer or Bosnich but I would probably go with Bosnich he was incredible at times. 

Why didn’t you think Spink was very good? I never saw him play, so I can’t comment, I’d just like to hear your view

15 hours ago, PaulC said:

I didn't actually think Spink was very good. Rimmer or Bosnich but I would probably go with Bosnich he was incredible at times. 

Spink was very solid for us IMO. Dependable. At the time when most teams in the top division kept the same GK for years (Lukic, Southall, Oggy, etc)

For brilliance it has to be Bosnich, but his kicking was appalling at times. I don't remember Rimmer. 

In terms of modern keepers, only Friedel would be anywhere near the list. 

• Like 1

Of the Villa keepers that I've seen it's Jimmy Rimmer for me, with Mark Bosnich and Nigel Spink, who did so much to bring home that cup in Rotterdam running him close. A special shout out for Colin Withers too, who was the one I first watched from the front of the Holte all those years ago.

Of our past keepers, Bill George, Sam Hardy and Nigel Sims stand out. Bill and Sam were both England internationals, with Bill playing 3 times and Sam starting 21 times. Bill was an FA Cup winner once and won 2 league championship winning medals. Sam was twice an FA Cup winner with us and Nigel was a 1957 winner. 

My overall choice between the sticks is Jimmy Rimmer.  

image.jpeg.833ebb30b03229be23704587d309f067.jpeg

• Like 1

19 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Why didn’t you think Spink was very good? I never saw him play, so I can’t comment, I’d just like to hear your view

From memory he made a lot of mistakes and wasn't great at crosses. Great stop stopper though. He had his rough patches at Villa where the fans were against him but credit to him he did show character. Rimmer and Bosnich were different class though

Edited by PaulC
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

John Burridge is an absolute legend. Jim Coombs could throw the ball nearly as far as he could kick it. Jimmy Rimmer was one of the best, but I never saw him save a penalty. 

Burridge was awful wasn't he, modelled himself totally on Peter Shilton . Coombs was a liability 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PaulC said:

From memory he made a lot of mistakes and wasn't great at crosses. Great stop stopper though. He had his rough patches at Villa where the fans were against him but credit to him he did show character. Rimmer and Bosnich were different class though

He played once for England and 361 times for Villa according to Wikipedia and he played a major role in winning the European Cup in 1982. I’ve seen video tapes, he was like a one man wall in that final. I’m not saying that I disagree with you. I saw Bosnich, he was one of my heroes when he was growing up, I used to have a poster of him in the grey AST goalkeeping shirt on my bedroom wall

5 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

He played once for England and 361 times for Villa according to Wikipedia and he played a major role in winning the European Cup in 1982. I’ve seen video tapes, he was like a one man wall in that final. I’m not saying that I disagree with you. I saw Bosnich, he was one of my heroes when he was growing up, I used to have a poster of him in the grey AST goalkeeping shirt on my bedroom wall

Its all about opinions. Many who watched him will think hes a legend. He did really well in the European Cup final. What a start to a career, coming on in the final of a European cup! He was picked for England in Australia 82/83. It was a b squad they picked and he never got selected again interestingly. I don't want to put him down, he was a good goalkeeper for us just not a great one imo. In my time I would have Rimmer, Bosnich, James and Friedal ahead and then he would come next. Certainly way better than Burridge and Coombs

• Thanks 1

Â