All time Villa XI for Villa Park - Goalkeeper

OutByEaster?

I mentioned to John Lerwill, that we were doing this yesterday. John has written several books on Villa and was also the club's historian. I asked him what his selection would would be. He gave me: Jimmy Rimmer. 

The period 1900-1920 has recently become my favourite Villa era, so I have a soft spot for Victorian man-mountain Billy George (1897-1911) and his willowy successor Sam Hardy (1912-1921). George played in three title-winning sides (as well as cricket for Warwickshire) while Hardy – two FA Cups either side of WW1 – was apparently one of the earliest exponents of coming out to narrow the angle.

In terms of the names on the list, however, I am torn between Spink and Rimmer. On the one hand Spink can point to 19 years at Villa, a European Cup, Super Cup, promotion campaign and League Cup (not to mention two top flight runners-up medals).

On the other hand, I have always felt a bit sorry for Rimmer and how events in Rotterdam turned a title-winning keeper – who also played all but 81 minutes of the European Cup campaign – into something of a footnote in the remarkable Nigel Spink story. Perhaps Rimmer topping the poll would finally be giving him due recognition for his achievements.

That said, in terms of the most outrageously talented keeper I have seen live at Villa Park (so since 84/85) – Bosnich. Yep, this is a tough one.

• Like 2

C,mon everyone. It's Jim Cumbes who played for us not Coombs!! More famously known probably as a cricketer and then cricket administrator. I remember watching him play for Villa and then much later  in a Worcs v Warwicks game at Grace Road where he dived and got injured. Weirdly for me he was a bowler and not a wicketkeeper which summed up the errors for us.

As for a my response it has to be Jimmy Rimmer - the title season he was immense, his shot stopping was up there with the best. Without him there wouldn't have been the success for Spink to get.... 

I remember the EC winning season we played at Anfield and got battered across the pitch but somehow walked away with a goalless draw and Rimmer getting a standing ovation from the whole ground. To me he is one of the most under rated keepers I've ever seen, Villa or not

• Like 3

Jimmy Rimmer  for me

I seem to remember every time  Bozzy took a goal kick, every player had so stand on the left hand touch line . It was like when your home pool table wasn't set up right and everything ended up on one side 

• Haha 2

I also remember being in the Holte, Bozzy had caught the ball and was going to kick it out of his hands. Shearer was pulling his shirt. As Bozzy went to run Shearer pulled him again. Bozzy dropped it and Shearer scored. The three officials didn't see it and the goal stood.

Shearer one of the best ever but was a dirty player. Was good to see him get sent off at VP some years later (this action brought about the famous head rubbing by Ian Taylor 

Folks, we've got a list of ten keepers now - there's a question mark between Brad Guzan and David James - but frankly I can't see the votes going anywhere other than the top three Rimmer/Bosnich/Spink - let me know if there's anyone you want replaced in our top ten!

On 28/04/2020 at 12:52, LancsVillan said:

C,mon everyone. It's Jim Cumbes who played for us not Coombs!! More famously known probably as a cricketer and then cricket administrator. I remember watching him play for Villa and then much later  in a Worcs v Warwicks game at Grace Road where he dived and got injured. Weirdly for me he was a bowler and not a wicketkeeper which summed up the errors for us.

As for a my response it has to be Jimmy Rimmer - the title season he was immense, his shot stopping was up there with the best. Without him there wouldn't have been the success for Spink to get.... 

I remember the EC winning season we played at Anfield and got battered across the pitch but somehow walked away with a goalless draw and Rimmer getting a standing ovation from the whole ground. To me he is one of the most under rated keepers I've ever seen, Villa or not

There was that joke about Cumbes

Why is Jim Cumbes like Dracula?They both don’t like crosses.

Bosnich or Spink for me

Edited by Only2McInallys
  • Like 1

Â