What's cooking / VT cookbook merge

trimandson

Do you like to cook ?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like to cook ?

• Yes
    • No

Jamie Oliver is a legend, can't believe he gets as much bad press as he does. It's obvious when you watch one of his shows how passionate he is for food, I paticually enjoy his "at home with Jamie Oliver" program, he even grows his own fruit n veg ffs.

I usually roast mine underneath the meat in a roasting dish and rack designed for such a purpose

apart from that its all about the size you cut the veg ie big chunky carots and the veg need to be all similar in size

Its not just that, its the way he makes it all seem simple and doesnt overly complicate things and the food comes out tasting great

I have to say... I tried Jamie Oliver's recipe for Yorks Puds - using 3 eggs instead of 2 etc as I was recommended the recipe by a friend.... & they are the best ones I have ever made.....I made them in New Zealand as well & they were huge!!.... I must get one of his cookbooks.

I have to say... I tried Jamie Oliver's recipe for Yorks Puds - using 3 eggs instead of 2 etc as I was recommended the recipe by a friend.... & they are the best ones I have ever made.....I made them in New Zealand as well & they were huge!!.... I must get one of his cookbooks.

Does it make a difference where in the world you make them :winkold:

Had some roasted veg wile out today that was simply amazing, any tips for roasting mixed veg?

Use whatever vegetable is seasonal, and preferably take them out of the ground just before you use them.

Get some fresh baby beetroot and slice the stalks so that they are only about a centimetre long (this stops the beetroot from bleeding). Wrap them individually in foil and roast them. Take them out of the foil and peel them (the skin will fall off in your hands). Beetroot is actually quite a nice vegetable when it isn't pickled, adn this is my favourite way of preparing the vegetable.

I quite like aubergines, courgettes, roasted peppers, red onion, carrots, whole garlic cloves (remove before serving) and tomatoes in the summer with a barbecue and a nice old speckled hen. Eat with barbequed trout and baby potatoes.

Had some roasted veg wile out today that was simply amazing, any tips for roasting mixed veg?

If you mix them, then be aware of the different density of the veg, because it greatly affects how they cook.

The same temp and cooking time will leave carrots firm, parsnips soft, and whole aubergines collapsing. You can deal with that by adding the softer ones a little later, or choosing a mixture accordingly.

Some things just don't go in the oven together. Roast potatoes need a fairly high heat, but roasting halved tomatoes works really well in a low oven for several hours. You just can't do them both together.

General tip for roasting things like potatoes, carrots, celeriac - parboil potatoes for say 10 mins, then lightly scrape the outside with a fork to create some small ridges to crisp up. Heat some duck fat/goose fat/olive oil in an oven dish, roll the potatoes round in it, cook at about 180c for 40-60 mins, depending on how small you cut them up. Add some flavourings - chopped garlic and rosemary 10 mins before the end; or whole cloves of unpeeled garlic and bay leaves half an hour before they are finished, for example. Salt and pepper too. And move them around in the pan every 15 mins, making sure they are well coated with fat and the herbs etc are well coated, because the fat will carry their flavour. Save leftover fat in the fridge for next time...

Carrots and celeriac work well together. Cut into batons the size of your little finger, roast as above for maybe 15-20 mins. This is a good base for laying meat on, if you want to present things a little differently.

If you want to roast green veg like broccoli or beans, this is best done in foil. Get two lots of tinfoil shaped roughly like a rectangle, a little bigger than the size of your keyboard. Spread a thin layer of oil on one to stop things sticking. Cut veg into bite sizes and lay on foil. Add salt, pepper, maybe herbs, garlic, a little lemon juice, whole chilis - whatever you want. Place the other layer of tinfoil on top, and fold the edges over several times, so you make airtight seals around the edges. Place on a baking tray and roast for 15 mins or so. The veg will steam in its own juices, and pick up the flavours you added. Downside is you can't easily check how it's doing. But it looks and smells good when you open it at the table. And you haven't leached out the nutrients in boiling water which you throw down the sink.

It can do. Altitude plays a part.

Get some fresh baby beetroot and slice the stalks so that they are only about a centimetre long (this stops the beetroot from bleeding). Wrap them individually in foil and roast them. Take them out of the foil and peel them (the skin will fall off in your hands). Beetroot is actually quite a nice vegetable when it isn't pickled, adn this is my favourite way of preparing the vegetable.

Sound advice.

Though as well as the skin coming off in your hands, so will the colour. So you might look like a more extreme version of Lee Hendrie the next day.

But roasted beetroot is definitely one to try. It's far removed from the pickled stuff in jars. Strangely, it goes well with grilled white fish, and not only because of the colour contrast.

It can do. Altitude plays a part.

Actually ...the flour in NZ is totally different to that in the UK.To me it's much finer...almost like cornflour

Last year I cooked for all my friends...cos they wanted some proper English food to taste & I tried it with normal NZ flour...Yorks Puds were a disaster..they were soggy & horrid! THIS year I was told by someone to cook Yorks Puds with NZ High Grade flour & I used Jamie's recipe..... the resulting Puds were proper big puff balls, cooked in a muffin tin.

Went down a storm over there!

Heat some duck fat/goose fat/olive oil in an oven dish, roll the potatoes round in it

I put my roast potatoes into cold olive oil, in a non stick roasting tray. They work really well. I reckon that if you give them a try you won't go back to using hot fat or oil.

Heat some duck fat/goose fat/olive oil in an oven dish, roll the potatoes round in it

I put my roast potatoes into cold olive oil, in a non stick roasting tray. They work really well. I reckon that if you give them a try you won't go back to using hot fat or oil.

I find roasting potatoes with butter and strips of streaky bacon to be the best ... not good for the heart, but I don't care.

I find roasting potatoes with butter and strips of streaky bacon to be the best ... not good for the heart, but I don't care.

Now that's a co-incidence. Today I was doing roast potatoes but realised way too late I didn't have any animal fat - the meat just wasn't yielding enough. So, I opened a pack of back bacon and cut off all the fat/rind from it and rendered it down in the oven and roasted the spuds in that. Superb!

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I did a chicken madras yesterday afternoon......or so I thought.

Left it in the pan til tonight, and its somehow turned into a very strong vindaloo, maybe even hotter. My **** lips are stinging.

Still, I never wasted any, mopped the plate with a naan too.

Must be a bit more sparing with those crushed chillis next time :-)

Â