What's cooking / VT cookbook merge

trimandson

Do you like to cook ?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like to cook ?

• Yes
    • No

Not a chilli in sight.

The little red flecks are crushed dried red chillies. I use them because they're nice and hot. Along with chilli powder too of course

If you want chilli without the chopping and fecking about, this is what you need in yer cupboard:

chilli_001b31.JPG

handy for curry, chilli con carne, in macaroni cheese, or on a pizza

Mate i had no doubt that bad boy is a real ring stinger!

Incidentally i bought some fresh chillis the other day. Havent used them for years but dont reckon i'll go back to powder. They generate heat in your mouth rather than burn, much nicer and oddly addictive!

As a fresh garlic fan, sorting out a slice of chilli is a doddle.

Agree with that.

The Asian shop I go to sells a net of 4 large garlic bulbs for 45p, so I get them and a large piece of fresh ginger.

Peel the ginger and chop it, and put it in a blender with 2 of the 4 garlic bulbs (that's about 20-25 cloves), make a puree and then freeze tablespoon size blobs of it. Then I use one blob of this garlic/ginger puree in each curry.

I always add 4 or 5 extra cloves of garlic though. To say I pong a bit after a Ruby is an understatement :-)

Agree with that.

The Asian shop I go to sells a net of 4 large garlic bulbs for 45p, so I get them and a large piece of fresh ginger.

Peel the ginger and chop it, and put it in a blender with 2 of the 4 garlic bulbs (that's about 20-25 cloves), make a puree and then freeze tablespoon size blobs of it. Then I use one blob of this garlic/ginger puree in each curry.

I always add 4 or 5 extra cloves of garlic though. To say I pong a bit after a Ruby is an understatement :-)

Thats a good tip...

I bought fresh ginger the other day simply because i have never used it before and thought i probably should give it a go. I've just looked at it in my fridge every day since....

Which shop do you use? I used to pick stuff up in Aston but the shop i used shut now.

Which shop do you use? I used to pick stuff up in Aston but the shop i used shut now.

Al furquan Supermarket on washwood Heath Road, next to Nelson garage

**** amazingly cheap - this week bunches of coriander and spinach were 25p each or 5 for a quid!

And they do the superb Ahmeds Garlic Pickle for 89p per jar :-)

Never done that with a whole chicken tbh Rob but have you tried the Garlic and roaemary pushed into a leg of lamb trick?

Just make slits in the lamb and push in slices of garlic and small sprigs of rosemary, then roast as normal

That's always a winner if you like lamb of course

That's good with anchovies in there as well (but don't salt the lamb), with lemon juice and some white wine over the top.

• 4 weeks later...

Mucho respect to the scotch bonnet. I made a big pot of normal veggie soup with all the usual good stuff in it (broccoli, carrots, potatoes, garlic, pepper, salt, babycorns) and into that 3 litres of soup I chopped a solitary bonnet just to give it a bit of a kick. Gotta say the bonnet doesn't even taste diluted. The little fecker has Indian'd it right up :D Respect :thumb:

Mucho respect to the scotch bonnet. I made a big pot of normal veggie soup with all the usual good stuff in it (broccoli, carrots, potatoes, garlic, pepper, salt, babycorns) and into that 3 litres of soup I chopped a solitary bonnet just to give it a bit of a kick. Gotta say the bonnet doesn't even taste diluted. The little fecker has Indian'd it right up :D Respect :thumb:

Partner made a dish with some Scotch Bonnets. Three, I think. Didn't chop them up. Didn't tell me. She removed the one in her bit without eating it, but expected me to intuit that there was a whole one in mine, complete with seeds.

Put the whole bonnet into my mouth. It was disguised by the sauce, so I hadn't noticed what it was, until I bit it. Oh ****.

I do indeed.

And yesterday's post match grub was a rather excellent chicken dhansak :-)

How do you make your Dansak Rob? I have just made a curry from scratch tonight, but would really like to know how you do your Dansak.

Cheers

Put the whole bonnet into my mouth. It was disguised by the sauce, so I hadn't noticed what it was, until I bit it. Oh ****.

of course, the real fun started when you spat it out into your hand, and then wiped the tears from your eyes........

Theres nothing they've not seen in a&e before now.

I do indeed.

How do you make your Dansak Rob? I have just made a curry from scratch tonight, but would really like to know how you do your Dansak.

Cheers

Well I just did a normal curry, variated the spices a bit, and added cooked yellow mung dahl. Would also have added pineapple if I'd had any

I do indeed.

Cheers

Well I just did a normal curry, variated the spices a bit, and added cooked yellow mung dahl. Would also have added pineapple if I'd had any

Did you pop a bit of sugar in??

I do indeed.

Cheers

Did you pop a bit of sugar in??

Yes, a couple of teaspoons

ehh wtf is a scotch bonnet...

Â