What's cooking / VT cookbook merge

trimandson

Do you like to cook ?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like to cook ?

• Yes
    • No

just finished making my favourite biscuits - just had a nice hot one 8)

8oz plain flour

4oz margerine

3oz sugar

teaspoon ginger

teaspoon baking powder

4oz melted golden syrup

1. mix flour and marge up into bread crumby texture,

2. add the rest in - syrup last, mix to get doughy texture

3. roll into balls with a slight press of the finger in the middle of each on greased trays. Makes around 18-20.

4. Heat in oven 170C at 15-20 min

EAT

Pesto Donaldinho

Pasta, preferrably fusili

1 Onion, chopped

10 Pork or Turkey Fankfurters, decent German ones

1 Jar of Sundried Tomato or Red Pesto

1 Tin of Coconut milk

1 handfull of Wallnuts or Pecans (optional)

Olive Oil

Cook the pasta. Cut the Frankfurters down the middle lenghtways, then once again to quater now chop horizontaly about 8 times, you are left with roughly 35 or so small pieces per sausage. Saute/fry the sausage, nuts and onion in Olive oil on high until the onion starts to caramelise but before the sausage or nuts burn. Chuck in the Pesto and the can of Coconut Milk and simmer for 20 minutes. Now drop the Pasta on top of the creamy pink goodness turn off the heat and mix it all up. Serve in a bowl to be eaten in front of the telly.

Be sure to try the leftovers after a heavy night out, not only is it a fantastic boozy snack but it may well cure the hangover before it starts. No promises but some of my mates used to swear by it and wouldn't go home on a Saturday until they had been by my flat to take their dose.

I've tried dozens of combinations, different meats, veg, cream etc. Nothing even compares to frankfurters, onion, red pesto and coconut milk. It's like the flaming Homer, on paper it makes no sense but when prepared is phenominal.

Hey man.

As crazy as it sounds I tried your dish because it sounded interesting, and I do love pesto. Well, I cooked it for myself 3 other housemates and everyone loved it! It was a lovely creamy delight. Cost £11 to make it for 4 people mind but I look forward to leftovers in the morn. Nice one!

The first time I read the recipe I thought it sounded good, glad to hea rsomeone tried it. I think it'll be something I give a shot.

• 2 weeks later...

Pasta with a Pork and Lemon Ragu

serves 4

500g minced pork

1 medium onion finely chopped

1 pint milk

juice and grated zest of 1 unwaxed Lemon

5 anchovy fillets drained of oil

100 ml double cream

grated parmesan chese

2 tablespoons of fresh rosemary

2 cloves of garlic thinly sliced

75g of green olives stoned and chopped

grated nutmeg, salt & pepper

Serve over pastaof choice

1) Brown mince in large heavy frying pan over high heat using about 2 tablespoons of olive oil

2) When meat is browned add the onion, lemon zest, anchovies and rosemary, mix in with the meat well,cover and reduce the heat to a medium heat

3) When the onions are soft (around ten minutes) add the milk, the lemon juice and the green olives. Stir this thoroughly and bring to the boil. Allow to simmer for 15-20 mins or until the liquid has reduced to about a third of its original quantity.

4) Next add the double cream, stir over a low to medium heat until mixed, then add the ground nutmeg, salt and pepper to taste

5) Add to a big pan with your al dente pasta, mix well and add in your parmesan cheese

Serve in Bowls

Just cooked this tonight, it works well and went down a treat with the family. Pasta but a bit different

Used this a few times for friends, best with warm crusty bread

Quick Italian Cassoullet

Good Quality Sausages (min 2 per person)

1 Small Onion (finely chopped

3 Cloves of Garlic (peeled and finely chopped)

6/8 slices of Pancetta (chopped)

1 Bay leaf

1 Tsp dried Rosemary (or fresh)

1 Small Chilli (finely chopped or teaspoon of crushed chillies)

3 x 400g tins Cannellini beans (drained and rinsed)

175ml red wine

175ml chicken stock

Salt and Pepper

Chopped Parsley for garnish

Fry sausages in a splash of olive oil for 5 mins browning all over

Add Onion, Garlic and Pancetta and cook for 5 mins till Onion is softened

Stir in bay leaf, Rosemary and Chilli

Add the Beans

Pour in Wine and Chicken Stock and season

Simmer for 20mins until sausages are cooked through and beans have a pink tinge

Scatter Parsley garnish on top and serve

Hungarian Layered Potato or Rakott Krumpli to give it it's correct name

1. Cook 1 kilo (or more) potatoes in their jackets in salt water until tender then peel and slice them

2. Hard-boil 5 eggs and when they have cooled , enough to be handle, peel and slice them

3. Slice the Hungarian sausage ( or any type of sausage)

4. Put the ingredients into a greased pan or a deep casserole.

Start with a layer of potatoes, salt the layer and sprinkle with bits of butter or a little oil.

Add a few pieces of sausage and slices of eggs, then cover with a layer of potatoes.

Add salt and oil.

Repeat the eggs and sausage layer and cover with potatoes.

5. Spread some sour cream and scatter with gratted cheese and a little oil.

Bake in a medium heat oven for 35-40 minutes.

6. undo your belt and top button of your trousers before eating

• 3 weeks later...

Has it really been a fortnight since this was added to? shameful

Here's tonight's tea

Pork and Bean Stew

2 tbsp oil

2 tsp of smoked paprika

900g diced pork leg

200ml white wine

420g can of butterbeans

410g can of haricot beans

350g of sweet potatoes peeled and cubed into 2.5cm chunks

2 rosemary sprigs

1 tbsp chopped oregano (fresh if possible)

6 ready to eat dried prunes, chopped

400ml chicken stock

1 bay leaf

salt & Pepper

1. preheat oven to 170 degrees , then in a large bowl mix 1 tblsp oil, 1 tsp paprika, some salt and some pepper together. Add the pork and mix until its all fully coated

2. heat the rest of the oil in a large casserole and brown the meat (probably best done in batches) then remove all meat from the pan and set aside

3. pour the wine into the pan and scrape any bits from the botom of the pan (adds flavour), then add the butterbeans, swet potatoes, bay leaf, remaining paprika, the prunes the herbs and the stock, bring it all to the boil and simmer for 5 mins

4. Whilst the mixture is simmering take the haricot beans and mash them to a paste with a hand blender and stir this into the casserole, the add the pork. Cook in the oven for around 2 hours

having now tested the above recipe, I can say its absolutely lovely BUT if you don't like your food spicey I'd consider at least halving if not quartering the amounts of paprika

A real winter warmer though and the prunes really do add a nice fruity touch

I made spicy black eyed beans yesterday (all the veggies like Juju would approve).

Unfortunately I was awake half the night farting. Bloody black eyed beans are deadly for bowel gasses

• 2 months later...

another Jamie Oliver recipe

This is really simple. First of all give your fish a wash, then smash it's head on a hard surface before ripping it's guts out with a sharp knife

whack it in an oven , adopt a fake mockney accent and knock out a quick Sainsbury advert about healthy eating whilst secretly stuffing your face with take aways from burger King

I know what you are saying Tony but he does actually make easy simple tasty food, no matter what you think of his accent and his branding of Sainsburys. Its very rarely I cook a Jamie Oliver disaster

Oh and I served the above fish with saute potatoes, green beans and puy lentils

I know what you are saying Tony but he does actually make easy simple tasty food, no matter what you think of his accent and his branding of Sainsburys. Its very rarely I cook a Jamie Oliver disaster

Oh and I served the above fish with saute potatoes, green beans and puy lentils

Have to echo this. His latest cookbook, the ministry of food I think it is, is brilliant. My GF has and has been cooking me some good grub. Just your basic and quite classic type dishes. They're 'made easy', but still really flavoursome.

-----------

I have a recipee for chilli beef burgers that are absolutely delicious, but its not an exact science. The amounts and weights I cannot give, because I do it in a very ad hoc way.

Beef mince, finely chopped onion and a clove or two of garlic (lightly cooked), wholemeal breadcrumbs, egg, salt, pepper, chilli, cajun seasoning. Mix together and shaped into burgers, not too big or thick (an easy mistake).

Good way to cook: BBQ or griddled till brown and then put in oven to cook through.

Making your own burgers is brilliant, because its cost effective and 10x better and fresher than the burgers you get in supermarkets. And they're a definate winner on the BBQ. Really easy and you can experiement with lots of different ingredients.

• 4 weeks later...
Â