What's cooking / VT cookbook merge

trimandson

Do you like to cook ?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like to cook ?

• Yes
    • No

Brian - I make a puree of ginger garlic and onions and strir fry it in plenty of oil for at least 15 minutes.

Then I add spices two at a time and stir fry for 2 or three minutes.........something like this:

black pepper and cumin, stir fry;

ground coriander and asafoetida, stir fry;

chilli powder and turmeric, stir fry;

crushed chillis, salt, stir fry.

Dried methi, sugar, stir fry

After all that its time for a bit of passatta or pureed tinned tomato

Fresh chillis are optional after you add the meat if you want extra heat. I use my own chicken stock as I go along too instead of water

Also its advisable to buy cumin and coriander SEEDS, not powder.

The powder is raw seeds ground up - if you buy the seeds like I do, you can dry roast them on the stove til they smoke and pop, then cool and grind them.

The resulting powders not only taste better but are darker and give your curry a better colour

You can also get garam masala mix that can be roasted and ground (forgot to add that to my previous post)

I've some learning to do. What quantity (and type) of oil are you talking about?

No idea, I rarely weigh or measure anything - after 20 years its just "knowledge". If I had to guess I'd say at least 8 tablespoons if not more

Any oil will do, vegetable, corn, rapeseed, or even olive oil

Or ghee

Dried methi

Are you talking about the dried leaves that comes in the boxes or fenugreek powder?

The dried leaves - methi, not the fenugreek powder. I love the stuff, put it in everything Indian

Ar, 'tis nice but I don't use it all that often. The ground fenugreek is an key ingredient for me, I love the flavour it imparts. As you say, asafoetida is another, makes a big difference when you put a pinch of that in.

As for oils, I'll go with groundnut or ghee. As you've mentioned, you need quite a bit and I think that under-estimating the amount is a common mistake people make - probably because they think it is unhealthy. You can always drain the excess off at the end or soak it up with kitchen roll.

Quite correct about the oil.

As for asafoetida (or ass powder as we call it) I put loads of the stuff in. Even the little old Indian bloke at the Asian store I go to thinks I'm nuts :-)

Inspired by the curry thread and Rob's assertion that "99.9%" of the time he makes his own (curry) sauces, I've come back to this thread to ask how people make a curry sauce from scratch.

Please give me instructions as I've never made my own before. I'd like to be able and the hotter the better. To me it just seems like too much work and requires pre-planning. Something I rarely do as I usually decide an hour beforehand what I want for dinner that day.

Right, go for it. I promise to try out any I find intriguing (and not too labour or time-intensive).

This is quite a good introduction.

There's also some links on that page to video demonstrations which might be helpful.

BOF - you'll need at least a tablespoon of oil to keep it 'loose' when frying the spices off.

Rob's spices are a good selection, but the best tip is to try different combinations. You can also add things like cardamom pods, curry leaves, coconut cream for a different flavour. Garam massalla added near the end gives a nice flavour too.

I like a smooth sauce so a blast with a hand blender before adding the veg/meat/fish is my tip.

Brian - I make a puree of ginger garlic and onions and strir fry it in plenty of oil for at least 15 minutes.

Then I add spices two at a time and stir fry for 2 or three minutes.........something like this:

black pepper and cumin, stir fry;

ground coriander and asafoetida, stir fry;

chilli powder and turmeric, stir fry;

crushed chillis, salt, stir fry.

Dried methi, sugar, stir fry

After all that its time for a bit of passatta or pureed tinned tomato

Fresh chillis are optional after you add the meat if you want extra heat. I use my own chicken stock as I go along too instead of water

Sounds good to me.

I would add that a liquidiser is useful for pureeing the ginger, garlic, onion mix. Add a little bit of water while blending. And a coffee grinder that you only use for spices is really handy as well.

Vegatable Tagliatellie

Fry onions, peppers, courgettes, cherry tomatoes, cashew nuts.

Add to tagliatellie pasta.

Turn off heat and pour over sauce of cream, herbs and one egg. Pan should be hot enough to cook the sauce. Once it starts to set on the pasta, get it on the plate before it turns to scrambled egg.

Voila.

I would add that a liquidiser is useful for pureeing the ginger, garlic, onion mix. Add a little bit of water while blending. And a coffee grinder that you only use for spices is really handy as well.

Correct, you do need a bit of electrical help ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all..

Long story cut short.. I've gave up drinking for 25 days, and to pass the boredom of Friday nights without a bevvy I've put my hand to cooking.

I've just "prepped" home made burgers..

Mince meat mixed with onions and a little seasoning, with a smallish wedge of blue cheese in the middle (want to emulate that melt in the middle burger advert!).

The problem being they are fooking huge! I really think they are now too big to fry which i planned to do. I'm now thinking i should fry them to seal them up and stop them falling apart then oven cooking them?

So VT, what kinda temp and time should i be looking at.

You could always disassemble them and make them smaller

Only brought six buns.. and Im making six burgers.. would be a bit of a waste if I did that mate.

I'm just after a rough estimate..

Â