What's cooking / VT cookbook merge

trimandson

Do you like to cook ?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like to cook ?

• Yes
    • No

Now I'm back living in this country I've started having a go at roast dinners and in typical me style I want to try and make them a bit more exotic.

I've followed a Jamie Oliver recipe of putting garlic and a lemon in the chicken and that added a nice flavour, but what if I wanted to get quite a strong flavour into the meat - say chilli etc Would I need to leave the marinade under the skin overnight? I tried putting it straight in the overn but the flavour didn't soak into the meat.

Never done that with a whole chicken tbh Rob but have you tried the Garlic and roaemary pushed into a leg of lamb trick?

Just make slits in the lamb and push in slices of garlic and small sprigs of rosemary, then roast as normal

That's always a winner if you like lamb of course

I usually do that with roasted sweet potatoes instead of normal ones, and whatever veg takes my fancy

• 1 month later...

Tonight, in Sainsburys, they had ready made pancakes on sale half price, so being experimenting.

Rocky road filling worked really well, chocolate spread on the inside, then added a small handful of chopped glace cherries, some walnut pieces, some marshmallows I had lying about and some broken digestive. All melts and becomes gooey anc chocolatty inside. Ideal with simple vanilla ice cream.

Also did ones with chocolate spread and just added marmelade for a slight bitter/sweet orangy chocolate taste. Nice, bt you'd not want too many.....

Just had a simple yet excellent idea

made a normal macaroni cheese, butter, plain flour, milk for the roux, then add more milk. Then cheese.

Add cooked macaroni.

But then, add black pepper and a liberal helping of crushed red chillis

Mmmmmm, cheese and chilli goodness :-)

• 4 weeks later...

Been working a bit now uni is over so can afford some decent grub finally. Cooked up a red pepper, asparagus, fried beef stir fry with a side of garlic glazed roasted new potatoes. Nicest meal all year. Forgot how nice asparagus was. As MON would describe it, it was "terrific".

I made a rather simple pasta dish the other day, boiled some linguine and then fried it with onions, celery and shrimp. Tossed the hot pasta with some parmesan and mozzarella cheese, and the resulting gooey mess made for a good snack in front of the telly.

• 1 month later...
Just had a simple yet excellent idea

made a normal macaroni cheese, butter, plain flour, milk for the roux, then add more milk. Then cheese.

Add cooked macaroni.

But then, add black pepper and a liberal helping of crushed red chillis

Mmmmmm, cheese and chilli goodness :-)

I also add some semi-cooked broccoli florets, whack it in an oven proof dish, top with a mix of grated cheese and grated bread and bung it in the oven for about 20-25 minutes until the topping is crunchy and brown. Got that bit from an Asda magazine and it's pretty good.

Inspired by the pie thread, just made up a pastry base.

Fried up some mushrooms, blanched some leeks browned some walnuts, made up white sauce with flour cream butter and then added some blue cheese, and its all baking now......

I'll let you know what its like in about 30 mins......

I wanna learn how to make an Alfredo sauce from scratch....

I also want to learn how to make Jalfrezi and/or any other curry dish from scratch.

I'm pretty good at putting rice a cooker and browning chopped chicken, then mixing and heating Patak's curry sauce in a pan.

Recently started making naan from scratch, that has turned out well.

whack it in an oven proof dish, top with a mix of grated cheese and grated bread and bung it in the oven for about 20-25 minutes until the topping is crunchy and brown.

Grated bread????

Made more burgers today, this time with Jalapenos and cajun spice, hmmmm absolutely beautiful, served in a soft bun with relish, rocket, cheese, slice of vine tomato and and ring of onion, **** beautiful and so easy and cheap to make too.

Made more burgers today, this time with Jalapenos and cajun spice, hmmmm absolutely beautiful, served in a soft bun with relish, rocket, cheese, slice of vine tomato and and ring of onion, **** beautiful and so easy and cheap to make too.

Yes mate. I make a mean burger, with jalapenos and cajun spice mix. They are delightful when BBQ'd. I can't see why you'd buy burgers for the BBQ after eating homemade. Homemade are tastier and cheaper.

• 2 weeks later...
Â