What's cooking / VT cookbook merge

trimandson

Do you like to cook ?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like to cook ?

• Yes
    • No

There was a shop in Netherhayford, Northamptonshire that was a small building in between a butchers and a bakers... they made the pies from ingredients from the shops either side and they were the nicest pies I have ever had. But the shop isn't there any more :( I know this was a completely poiintless post for that reason, but sod it, I wanted to say it anyway :P

We get big catering pies now from our local pub. Costs about £20 for the pie but we cut it into portions and freeze them and we get about 12 big pieces out of it. Beautiful pie.

Spicy Salami Eggs - The hangover breakfast

Serves 1

Cut 4 slices of Danish Salami up. Fry them in a little oil for about 2-3mins until you cook off the fat then drain and put to one side.

Scramble 2 Eggs in a bit of butter/marg and milk and also add a sprinkle of sea salt. Add 3 or 4 chopped red jalapeno pepper slices to the mix( 3 or 4 circular slices not whole peppers I should clarify - phew! you can buy them in a jar from all shit supermarkets)

Just before Eggs scramble, chuck the salami back in for about 20 secs then serve on toast accompanied with a good cup of coffee and a bit of shit sunday morning t.v (although, Karl Pilkington on Something for the weekend was actually quite good)

Done.

For all the curry requests this was taken from a thread from a while back. It is the closest to a restaurant style curry i've ever tasted (outside of a restaurant!).

Indian Chicken Curry

Ingredients

2 medium onions sliced

5 cloves of garlic crushed

5 table spoons of olive oil

2 green chillies chopped (1 if heat problem!)

3 tomatoes chopped

500g Passata

2 tea spoons of salt

2lb chicken (breast) cut in small cubes

2 table spoons of curry powder

1 tea spoon of mixed masala

Fresh corriander for garnish

Method

Put the olive oil in pot on a medium heat, add the sliced onions and

crushed garlic.

When the onions are a golden brown add on the chopped tomatoes, chopped

green chillies,

2 tea spoons of salt and half a cup of water.

Leave it on low heat for about 15 – 20 minutes.

When the mixture looks very thick add in the curry powder and stir for

about 10 minutes,

add the small cubes of chicken. Leave on low heat until the water of

the chicken dries up. Add 250g of passata.

When the water has dried up add the garam masala and stir it for about

15 minutes.

Add in the fresh corriander (finely chopped), half a cup of water and the other 250g of Passata and turn up the heat,

when it reaches the boil turn the heat down and leave to simmer for

about 15 minutes

Please note when making the curry if at any stage the mixture is too

dry and starts to burn, just add some water.

Be warned though the Indian curry recipe above takes 2 - 3 hours and really stinks your house out. This Thai recipe is REALLY quick (30-40 mins) and tastes completely authentic. Just one word of advice DO NOT sniff the fish sauce, it is disgusting but tastes ok and is used in Thai cooking like a soy sauce from Japanese.

Thai Red Chicken Curry

Ingredients

* 1 small onion chopped finely

* 1 stalk lemon grass

* 1 tbsp vegetable oil

* 4 tsp red Thai curry paste

* 4 boneless and skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces

* 1 tbsp fish sauce

* 1 tsp brown sugar

* 4 freeze-dried kaffir lime leaves

* 400ml can coconut milk

* 20g pack fresh coriander

* 4 cloves of garlic

* Medium Aubergine

Method

1. Peel onion and cut in half from top to root. Lay the cut sides flat on a board and thinly slice. Very finely slice the lemongrass, starting at the thinner end, stopping towards the base when it gets tough (often described as 'woody' and white in the centre). Crush and chop garlic. Cut Aubergine into chunks.

2. Heat the oil in a wok or large saucepan for a couple of minutes until the oil separates (it looks more liquid at this point). Add garlic and onion. Fry for 3-5 mins, until soft and translucent. Stir in the curry paste and cook for 1 min, stirring all the time.

3. Add chicken pieces and stir until they are coated. Add the fish sauce, sugar, kaffir lime leaves, aubergine, lemongrass and coconut milk. Bring slowly to the boil, then reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 15 mins until the chicken is cooked. Stir the curry a few times while it cooks, to stop it sticking and to keep the chicken submerged.

4. While the chicken is cooking, strip the leaves from the coriander stalks, gather into a pile and chop very roughly. Taste the curry and add a little more curry paste and salt if you think it needs it. Stir half the coriander into the curry and sprinkle the rest over the top. Serve with Thai jasmine or basmati rice.

My recipe for roast chicken

Oven temp gas mark 5. Don't know what that is lecky

To make the skin crispy you will need

Korma curry power

chicken oxo cube

Chicken seasoning

For the stuffing

1 pk bacon cubes

1/2 pkt white breadcrumbs

1 onion chopped

Sage

Butter 2oz or enough so stuffing not dry( I don't do grams)

To make the stuffing cook the bacon cubes in a medium sized pot . When brown add butter onion and sage. When onion soft take off the heat and add breadcrumbs to the pot.Don't add to much at once or the stuffing will be too dry. Usually about half a bag is enough. Put to 1 side

Get chicken and rub skin with curry powder, oxo and chicken seasoning. Rub in well. If you don't like dry chicken put some butter under the skin of the chicken breasts. if you like garlic add to butter

Now put stuffing in chicken.

Whack it in the oven gas mark 5 . Put bit of oil in roasting dish and baste it every half hour or so. Check done by piercing the skin by leg. It is done when juices run clear

Lasagna is my signature.

Basic white sauce made with butter corn flour (made into paste with a little milk) and milk stir until thick.

Bolognase

Fry an onion & couple of cloves of garlic add two heaped tsps of oregano and Italian seasoning, 1 tsp basil and a good grind of pepper. Add mince + mushrooms and continue until the mince is nicely browned. From here add a couple of tins of chopped plum tomatoes (value is great and 20p a tin!) add 1 tiny tin of tomato puree, stir... leave to boil for a good ten minutes, add a nice splash of decent red wine, failing that Worcester Sauce.

Layer up lasagna sheets followed by white sauce and bolognase, repeat a couple of times. grate cheese (half chedder and half parmesan), oven (180C/Gas 6) 25 min if fresh lasagna, 45 if dry.

Lasagna. Done.

Time consuming but worth it.

Lasagne is mine as well, but funnny how it is completley different.

I sweat carrots and celery with the onions and garlic.

50-50 of pork and beef mince

Tin of tomatoes, puree, beef stock, and then bring to boil then simmer for at least 2 hours.

then the same as yourself dale.

The eat (with garlic bread or nice crusty bread)

mmmmmmmmmmmmm

Lasagne is mine as well, but funnny how it is completley different.

I sweat carrots and celery with the onions and garlic.

50-50 of pork and beef mince

Tin of tomatoes, puree, beef stock, and then bring to boil then simmer for at least 2 hours.

then the same as yourself dale.

The eat (with garlic bread or nice crusty bread)

mmmmmmmmmmmmm

Carrots and celery...Pork...Beef stock...Sweated vegetables...long slow simmer...

A much better recipe. I'd eat that. And seconds, probably.

Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall.

Vile, and awful shock clearing in the woods.

Yes. Of course.

Any reason for this outburst, or just the usual knee-jerk?

I just don't like him, he goes for shock value over substance half the time IMO, I don't rate him as a chef, got a problem with that?

And I'd really prefer it, if you posted on post.

Yes. Of course.

I just don't like him, he goes for shock value over substance half the time IMO, I don't rate him as a chef, got a problem with that?

I think you'll find that was on post. Ask someone else if you need to confirm it :winkold: .

Have you read his recipes? They are absolutely about substance, nothing about shock. What do you base this odd view on? It doesn't fit anything of his that I've read.

Or do you mean his views about using all of an animal, if you have to kill it? I know you shoot animals for enjoyment. Maybe you don't like to eat all of what you have killed? Is that it?

I'm guessing here. Do me the favour of explaining yourself. Please. Just for once.

If you're ever in Camberwell go to Tadim Cafe for good cheap and plentiful turkish and italian food, bit of a cafe restaurant vibe but well worth a visit. This could be a different thread but thought i'd add to well.. give a food recommendation I took up and enjoyed yesterday in london. Electriq in Eltham wasn't too bad either.

If you're ever in Camberwell go to Tadim Cafe for good cheap and plentiful turkish and italian food, bit of a cafe restaurant vibe but well worth a visit. This could be a different thread but thought i'd add to well.. give a food recommendation I took up and enjoyed yesterday in london. Electriq in Eltham wasn't too bad either.

Great. So many cheap and good restaurants in London. Not sure about Eltham, though...

Yes. Of course.

I think you'll find that was on post. Ask someone else if you need to confirm it :winkold: .

Have you read his recipes? They are absolutely about substance, nothing about shock. What do you base this odd view on? It doesn't fit anything of his that I've read.

Or do you mean his views about using all of an animal, if you have to kill it? I know you shoot animals for enjoyment. Maybe you don't like to eat all of what you have killed? Is that it?

I'm guessing here. Do me the favour of explaining yourself. Please. Just for once.

What on earth are you on about? I am talking about his road kill recipes, his Placenta Pate and the hedgerow scoffing, if that isn't for shock value then I don't know what is.

So for once, instead of just jumping on one of my posts, as usual, actually read up on the subject first. And Yes I have read his recipes and I don't like him as a chef, I presume that is OK with you? If not, I actually couldn't give a damn.

And as for your attemped and quite pathetic dig about my hunting trip, you couldn't be more wrong, as I made it absolutely clear that all the animal was used... and in fact is still in use.

My lasagna is based on the premis that I want it ASAP! like the sound of yours though John I must admit... Will experiment with some other things though. all in good time.

another goodun is meat balls.

50/50 pork and beef with oregano, italian seasoning & breadcrumbs (always better with slighly stale bread I find...) Make up in bowl, into relatively small balls.

Passatta with gently softened pureed onion & garlic, bit of puree... oregano, italian seasoning, basil & marjoram adds a good flavour. add meatballs to this when gently bubbling and simmer for 40 minutes or so... very good. Serve with spaghetti (and grated cheese of your choice) a little messy but good all the same.

Love making Chilli too! Always tastes better if you leave it for a day after cooking, I find it brings out a little more flavour, had it tonight!

Fry onion and a clove of garlic. add mixed herbs/basil/oregano/HOT chilli powder (flakes or fresh chilli is better!)

Add mince and cook off.

To this add a couple of tins of tomato and a tin of mixed chilli beans. bring to the boil, simmer for at least 20 minutes.

Now start on rice or, if you are me baked spud (which should have been on for a while now, so much better from the oven!)

When you've got about five minutes remaining add a little sweet chilli sauce and freshly ground pepper, taste, if not perfect add more spice or a little sugar... add one chopped pepper, continue to simmer. I like my peppers with a bit of bite!

Serve with a bit of cheese. lovely...

Mmmm... good stuff.

Beef and Ale Casserole

1Kg of braising steak cut into cubes

2 X 500ml bottles of strongish golden ale (Thwaites Wainwright is a good example)

500g Carrots, copped into very large pieces

400g Parsnips again chopped into very large pieces

3 medium onions cut into wedges

5g fresh thyme still on stalks

3 bay leaves ripped

flour

oil

1. Put the meat into a clean plastic bag with about4 tablespoons of flour, shake the bag like feck until all the meat is coated in flour

2. In a large casserole dish fry the meat in batches until it is all browned adding extra oil as necessary (about 1 - 2 mins each batch)

3. after the meat is browned saute the vegetables in the casserole dish adding more oil if necessary (for about 5 mins)

4. when the vetables are begining to go soft put the meat back in the dish and add the Ale, bring to the boil

5. add the thyme and bay leaves, cover and put in the oven on a medium heat (160-170 C), leave to cook slowly for 2.5 - 3 hours

Serve with home made mashed spuds

Ferking lovely and its what I'm eating right now :nod:

Here's one that's quite "restauranty" but also simple and healthy:

Dicky Plums ' Fish and Mediterranean Potatoes

5 or 6 medium potatoes

1 pepper (red or yellow) sliced into chunks

1 onion sliced

olive oil

jar of anchovies in oil

olives (if you like em)

a mug of chicken or veg stock

dried oregano

slices of garlic

- Slice the potatoes into about 1cm slices

- In a large, wide roasting tray - spread the spuds and the rest of the ingredients, season well, pour over the stock and glug plenty of olive oil

- Put in the oven gas 6 for about half an hour, turn the layers every so often to coat with the flavours

- When the pots are almost cooked and starting to go nice and brown and a bit crispy, put a couple of your favourite fish fillets on top (sea bass, salmon, etc)

- Serve with a nice rocket salad and some white wine

Â