Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

12 minutes ago, rayk said:

And that’s perfectly fair but shave 10% off each of those transfers and you have £11m to spend on a keeper.

And if you negotiate one of those buys as an loan with an option to buy you defer the payment for 12 months.....and that may work for one of the wide players.

If you could do that you could then add more to the buy part of the deal so it's more likely we can buy the players we want, it has its uses that method does. It certainly would allow us to spend more and make certain we nab the players we want if we can loan one of them with a buy deal.

Edited by Dave-R

I think its pretty telling when we didnt try to get Reina back that we are not interested in a new keeper.

We have 4 on the books already, 1 outstanding, 1 good, and 2 average. But they can all do a job if Heaton isnt fit. 

Really not a priority. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

If you could do that you could then add more to the buy part of the deal so it's more likely we can buy the players we want, it has its uses that method does. It certainly would allow us to spend more and make certain we nab the players we want if we can loan one of them with a buy deal.

I don’t think that’s how it works tbh. There are two different options to buy. One when you’re not sure (a true option) and then one where you really do but can’t afford it that season.

On the second one it’s probably not about paying more up front now but maybe a bit extra overall because you are deferring the payment.

6 minutes ago, Junxs said:

I think its pretty telling when we didnt try to get Reina back that we are not interested in a new keeper.

We have 4 on the books already, 1 good one coming back from injury and not fit until October at the earliest, 1 who is a good number 2 but has question marks over his fitness and was injured within ten minutes in his last game, and 1 utter calamity who makes everyone in the team nervous and we cannot let him play again and 1 that hasn't played much but seems to be considered the worst of the lot. But they can all do a job if Heaton isnt fit. 

Really not a priority. 

I fixed it!

Edited by Rolta

3 hours ago, PieFacE said:

I'd like to see more of Mingles tbh. 

Same here looked great at start and he adapted really quickly to league. Unfortunately I think he was pretty much injured for rest of season although others seemed to think he was just left out.

25 minutes ago, OLDVILLAIN said:

One of the best pieces of bullshittery i have seen on twitter today was....edsonne edouard would not consider going to aston villa as villa will be struggling again this year but would jump at the chance to play for Marcello bielsa and leeds....jesus wept..i need to have a stiff one after reading that. 

Yeah, I mean, this brings up a question of what we're doing to attract the kind of players we're going to need to climb the table, when our competition for many of these players is coming from the teams we're trying to leapfrog.

Bielsa, for instance, is a draw for Leeds because of his managerial pedigree. In this case, I suppose ours is our ability to invest? For example, if we're trying to bring a player like Edouard to the club and Leeds are also interested, how are we going about selling him on Villa? Or McKennie: we're looking at him and so is everybody else. If, say, West Ham and Southampton are vying for him as well, I suppose we could sell him on our vision for the team with him as a centrepiece, but everybody does that. Does it all come down to financial clout? In that case, I suppose we would have an advantage over Southampton, at least, who are going to have to invest more conservatively than we are.

I'm just trying to take the "'Cause we're Villa" nonsense out of the equation because nobody realistically cares.

Edited by JamieZ

31 minutes ago, rayk said:

And that’s perfectly fair but shave 10% off each of those transfers and you have £11m to spend on a keeper.

And if you negotiate one of those buys as an loan with an option to buy you defer the payment for 12 months.....and that may work for one of the wide players.

I think you are living in fantasy land because I was being optimistic we could do those values plus if I was able to do that and get 11m then I’d spend on the defence and not GK.  

Also on those players, whose going to loan us a player with a buy options those type of players. None of those named players or others we have been linked with.  Clubs aren’t going to give us deals that suit us that well....not fantasy football, this is real life.  Rashica won’t be loan to buy, WB need money...Brentford aren’t going to do that either with Benrhama and the same with other wide options.

11 minutes ago, JamieZ said:

Yeah, I mean, this brings up a question of what we're doing to attract the kind of players we're going to need to climb the table, when our competition for many of these players is coming from the teams we're trying to leapfrog.

Bielsa, for instance, is a draw for Leeds because of his managerial pedigree. In this case, I suppose ours is our ability to invest? For example, if we're trying to bring a player like Edouard to the club and Leeds are also interested, how are we going about selling him on Villa? Or McKennie: we're looking at him and so is everybody else. If, say, West Ham and Southampton are vying for him as well, I suppose we could sell him on our vision for the team with him as a centrepiece, but everybody does that. Does it all come down to financial clout? In that case, I suppose we would have an advantage over Southampton, at least, who are going to have to invest more conservatively than we are.

I'm just trying to take the "'Cause we're Villa" nonsense out of the equation because nobody realistically cares.

Good post.

Leeds have manager, stadium/fan base and history. They also have the benefit of a powerful northern media.

We don’t have the same managerial draw (as much as I love DS), we don’t have any sort of media but we have a stadium/fanbase and history to beat Leeds imo.

We’re also a season ahead of Leeds and we have Jack and both those things are very important imo when it comes to attracting players.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I think you are living in fantasy land because I was being optimistic we could do those values plus if I was able to do that and get 11m then I’d spend on the defence and not GK.  

Also on those players, whose going to loan us a player with a buy options those type of players. None of those named players or others we have been linked with.  Clubs aren’t going to give us deals that suit us that well....not fantasy football, this is real life.  Rashica won’t be loan to buy, WB need money...Brentford aren’t going to do that either with Benrhama and the same with other wide options.

Well I can assure you we will bring in a keeper, I’m certain of that. Just think of it, as soon as Heaton got injured we got someone in ahead of Nyland.

You may say ‘well, it’s only a month’ but we have no idea how good Heaton will be post injury.

So we’re not going to spend £70m on attackers only to have Nyland in goal until Christmas maybe.

As for options to buy, there will be enough out there to do a deal. Norwich will apparently let Max Aarons go on a loan to buy.

And as for real life Rashica won’t be coming because he wants to play for RBL/Champions League, not a ‘relegation contender’.....😂

1 minute ago, rayk said:

Good post.

Leeds have manager, stadium/fan base and history. They also have the benefit of a powerful northern media.

We don’t have the same managerial draw (as much as I love DS), we don’t have any sort of media but we have a stadium/fanbase and history to beat Leeds imo.

We’re also a season ahead of Leeds and we have Jack and both those things are very important imo when it comes to attracting players.

Exactly. And I suppose my question was not at all rhetorical in that sense. How much do tradition and pedigree factor into the equation relative to the league table/European football or wages? Obviously, players have individual preferences and considerations—Spanish and melts in the rain, socialite wife will only live in London, looks awful in red, etc.—but in a larger sense, I suppose I'm curious as to how Villa are courting players like Rashica, McKennie, Edouard amidst heavy interest in a competitive market.

4 minutes ago, JamieZ said:

Exactly. And I suppose my question was not at all rhetorical in that sense. How much do tradition and pedigree factor into the equation relative to the league table/European football or wages? Obviously, players have individual preferences and considerations—Spanish and melts in the rain, socialite wife will only live in London, looks awful in red, etc.—but in a larger sense, I suppose I'm curious as to how Villa are courting players like Rashica, McKennie, Edouard amidst heavy interest in a competitive market.

So it’s as I said above....plus we do have more financial clout than Leeds and that matters over a 3-4 year contract from a,players perspective.

4 minutes ago, nick76 said:
15 minutes ago, rayk said:

Well I can assure you we will bring in a keeper, I’m certain of that

Were you so astounded by my post you forgot to comment?

Edited by rayk
  • Haha 1