Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

27 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

You are correct about another quality outlet, "give the ball to Jack" is our mantra and he can't do it all.

Souness spoke about this today and said it's too much pressure on one player, he didn't mention Grealish but another player.

but the wingers should be a quality outlet to supplement Jack.....but they are not consistent or assertive  enough.

some teams use them as the main creativity and use the 2 centre mids as enforcers.....but the players have to be good enough at what they do, you can't carry players in this league.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Kevin Phillips, possibly the most bitter man in football, has come out with an absolute pearler today. He's convinced that should they gain promotion, the Albion would be in a perfect position to take Tyrone Mings and John McGinn from us. 

I've run that idea around my head a few times now and I think it's important that we consider Kevin's mental health during these difficult times - if anyone's interested, perhaps they could arrange to run a marathon in their back garden to raise the money Kevin needs for professional help.

The most bitter man in football? He always came across as a nice bloke to me, not only that, he was an excellent player too. For Sunderland, he carried them, he came to us as he getting on a bit on age but he still served us well, popped up with a few crucial goals

Just reading Real Madrid are Interested in Andre Zambo Anguissa from Fulham and on loan to Villarreal. Just shows you cannot solely and  fairly  judge a player especially foreign Based on their first season in England. I remember he showed fleeting moments of his ability but was part of a dysfunctional Fulham side.

IMO he is the type of player we need in the middle of the park .. Someone who is tall and athletic and can be a physical presence to aid Mcginn and Luiz to add balance and cover to the defence which Nakamba and Luiz have so far failed to do. 

58 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Just reading Real Madrid are Interested in Andre Zambo Anguissa from Fulham and on loan to Villarreal. Just shows you cannot solely and  fairly  judge a player especially foreign Based on their first season in England. I remember he showed fleeting moments of his ability but was part of a dysfunctional Fulham side.

IMO he is the type of player we need in the middle of the park .. Someone who is tall and athletic and can be a physical presence to aid Mcginn and Luiz to add balance and cover to the defence which Nakamba and Luiz have so far failed to do. 

Have they failed? I think both have done well considering it’s their first season in the Premier League 

I wouldn't say they have done well.  Not consistently anyway.  That's what's missing from a lot of our players though. It's ok being good 1 game in 4, but everyone needs to maintain a good level of performance every game otherwise there'll be someone else banging on the manager's door to take their place. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Have they failed? I think both have done well considering it’s their first season in the Premier League 

IMO yes they have to some degree but I’d say it’s has as much to do with the way smith sets us up and his instructions. For me they do not offer enough protection to the back line and though both good players we are somewhat unbalanced in the centre of the midfield. I think both could be great players next season for us but I would still buy a new CM / DM and shift out Connor and Lansbury. 

18 minutes ago, dubbs said:

I wouldn't say they have done well.  Not consistently anyway.  That's what's missing from a lot of our players though. It's ok being good 1 game in 4, but everyone needs to maintain a good level of performance every game otherwise there'll be someone else banging on the manager's door to take their place. 

Competition for places is good I think, every top club has it, it’s what we aspire to 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, thabucks said:

spot on.

Edited by TRO

Certain games Nakamba and Luiz are adequate CDM’s but we are in our current league position because we don’t have enough quality or different options and it’s very much like for like.  The defence on paper is pretty decent but our goals against tell a different story. Many factors are behind this but for me a glaring one is the midfield and it’s balance. Adding a different type of player into the Central midfield mix is definite position for me we need reinforcement. The spine is almost their just needs tweaking. 

3 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Certain games Nakamba and Luiz are adequate CDM’s but we are in our current league position because we don’t have enough quality or different options and it’s very much like for like.  The defence on paper is pretty decent but our goals against tell a different story. Many factors are behind this but for me a glaring one is the midfield and it’s balance. Adding a different type of player into the Central midfield mix is definite position for me we need reinforcement. The spine is almost their just needs tweaking. 

I think that is why Drinkwater was brought in but it backfired spectacularly 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I think that is why Drinkwater was brought in but it backfired spectacularly 

Yep Agreed and was always likely to end in failure. Drinkwater is washed up and again is a bit too similar to Luiz For me and Less so to a degree than Nakamba. Anguissa just as an example is different due to his physical attributes and what he offers in terms of his game.  He would bring additional physicality to the position which I believe we are missing. Would have loved us to get Sander Berge for that reason. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Yep Agreed and was always likely to end in failure. Drinkwater is washed up and again is a bit too similar to Luiz For me and Less so to a degree than Nakamba. Anguissa just as an example is different due to his physical attributes and what he offers in terms of his game.  He would bring additional physicality to the position which I believe we are missing. Would have loved us to get Sander Berge for that reason. 

I just don't think we look, for what we really need.....I hope that doesn't sound holier than thou, but what you describe is exactly whats missing.

Wilmar Barrios or Konrad Laimer, just as examples.

This is the standard, we must aim for.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, TRO said:

I just don't think we look, for what we really need.....I hope that doesn't sound holier than thou, but what you describe is exactly whats missing.

Wilmar Barrios or Konrad Laimer, just as examples.

This is the standard, we must aim for.

I guess it may be down to Dean’s way of seeing the game and his own philosophy that he prefers, a different type of DM to what some of us feel we are desperate for. Who knows for sure but as I’ve said for me the balance of the midfield of Mcginn. Luiz, Nakamba is wrong and needs addressing. 

I would also say it’s the same for our wingers - We have little in the way of variations in terms of replacements and the way we can play. It’s all too like for like for me at present. But we are at the start of our ongoing rebuild journey and a WIP for sure and I’m not criticising the job done to date as we had to rebuild pretty much a whole squad and these things take time. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, thabucks said:

I guess it may be down to Dean’s way of seeing the game and his own philosophy that he prefers, a different type of DM to what some of us feel we are desperate for. Who knows for sure but as I’ve said for me the balance of the midfield of Mcginn. Luiz, Nakamba is wrong and needs addressing. 

I would also say it’s the same for our wingers - We have little in the way of variations in terms of replacements and the way we can play. It’s all too like for like for me at present. But we are at the start of our ongoing rebuild journey and a WIP for sure and I’m not criticising the job done to date as we had to rebuild pretty much a whole squad and these things take time. 

I think you are right, central midfield is the most important position on the pitch, whoever wins that battle then usually comes out on top in the match itself