Tennis: General Chat

snowychap

It does surprise me that Naomi Osaka can be brought so low by a single negative comment spewing out the stupid mouth of someone in the crowd. I'm not into the calling people a 'snowflake' bullshit or calling people anything, as it goes, but I'm amazed she's managed to survive/thrive at elite level sport for so long being so affected by inane comments in such a high profile arena.

• Like 1

Watched that Young prospect Alcaraz beat Norrie last night. A real high energy game, but, my day's, just how good is this 18 year old, sensation going to be ? I thought Nadal was the best young player I had seen, but this kid might just go to a level that will have to be seen to be believed. 

1 minute ago, sheepyvillian said:

Watched that Young prospect Alcaraz beat Norrie last night. A real high energy game, but, my day's, just how good is this 18 year old, sensation going to be ? I thought Nadal was the best young player I had seen, but this kid might just go to a level that will have to be seen to be believed. 

Hasn’t he reached a few last 16 and last 8 in slams already ? Looks top drawer. Then again there’s loads i thought that about too, Zverev, Shapovalov, Tsitsipas. All talented but mentally a bit brittle. So like anything, this kid has talent but a lot more to it than that. 

Just now, Johnnyp said:

Hasn’t he reached a few last 16 and last 8 in slams already ? Looks top drawer. Then again there’s loads i thought that about too, Zverev, Shapovalov, Tsitsipas. All talented but mentally a bit brittle. So like anything, this kid has talent but a lot more to it than that. 

He has that Nadal mentality and maybe even better skill - wise. 

• Like 1

Barty has announced her retirement aged just 25 from tennis.  Somewhat of a surprise but she did stop playing for a year earlier in her career to try out cricket. She has won everything and is happy at home. Fair play to sacrifice millions of pounds for your peace of mind.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Fun Factory said:

Barty has announced her retirement aged just 25 from tennis.  Somewhat of a surprise but she did stop playing for a year earlier in her career to try out cricket. She has won everything and is happy at home. Fair play to sacrifice millions of pounds for your peace of mind.

Great player and a good person, fair play to her if she thinks there are more important things in life than money and trophies. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Great player and a good person, fair play to her if she thinks there are more important things in life than money and trophies. 

Obviously won't be signing for Man Citeh then.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Phil Silvers said:

I’d like to think with  an estimated $24 million career prize money won , I also wouldn’t be interested in money :) 

1 minute ago, tonyh29 said:

I’d like to think with  an estimated $24 million career prize money won , I also wouldn’t be interested in money :) 

It is obscene but having listened to her over the years, she really is just a normal girl who wants a normal life. She doesn't seek attention, nor does she beat up animals or get drunk and abuse people on social media, doubt she is a diva whenever she goes anywhere ever. I'm still going with fair play Ash, good on ya. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Russians and Belarussians banned from Wimbledon this year. I can't say that I agree with the blanket bans of Russian/Belarussian sportspeople from competitions. People like Mazepin with obvious family links to the Kremlin, fine. Blanket bans however are not right in my opinion.

Nah **** em. I know it's a bit harsh on individuals, but if we aren't fighting we have to absolutely everything we can to put the pressure on Putin, the complete and total isolation and marginalisation of every facet of life for Russians.  Also, some of them have enough money and heft to say something. Yeah I know it's Putin and he's killed ex-spies, but coming after high profile sports stars. All the mealy mouthly talk about peace and ignoring the war, is a sham. Fair enough Rublev said "no war please" but that's about all I can recall any Russian saying on the matter. 

• 3 weeks later...
Â