Pre match thread

roonst83

10 hours ago, Elton said:

According to Smith, Konsa is fit for this but Davis will be out for 2/3 weeks.

Was thinking that would mean no senior striker on the bench but of course Baston is here now. Would expect him to come on at some point.

I agree with the team of three CMs to try to squeeze the game a little. Can see AEG and Trez making little impact in this so would keep them as impact players for second half where they'll be more space hopefully.

I think Engels is better in our defence long term, but Spurs is the absolute worst game for him.

He's going to be up against the blistering pace of Son, Moura and Bergwijn interchanging in that front 3. He's better than Konsa and Hause but I'd rather they both played this one.

3 hours ago, Keyblade said:

I think Engels is better in our defence long term, but Spurs is the absolute worst game for him.

He's going to be up against the blistering pace of Son, Moura and Bergwijn interchanging in that front 3. He's better than Konsa and Hause but I'd rather they both played this one.

Engels was excellent at White Hart Lane in the first game of the season

• Like 1

Wasn’t there a statistic somewhere a couple of months ago that showed Engels had reached something like the 4th highest measured speed of any PL player this season?   I don’t think he’s nearly as slow as people are making him out to be.  He may not be quick to accelerate, which wouldn’t be unusual for a big man, but he’s no tortoise.

I'd perhaps expect Drinky to be brought back in and have Luiz on the bench. Luiz has looked decent asa sub recently. Nakampa is still hit or miss but I suspect Smith will want more "enforcers" in the middle as I don't think we'll have the majority of the ball in the centre of the park. Nakampa has been possibly the most frustrating player this season. His performances against Watford and Leicester second leg showed just what he can do but they are, sadly, rare. Winning the midfield battle in any game can often lead to the outcome so we need much more consistent good performances by Marvelous. 

6 hours ago, il_serpente said:

Wasn’t there a statistic somewhere a couple of months ago that showed Engels had reached something like the 4th highest measured speed of any PL player this season?   I don’t think he’s nearly as slow as people are making him out to be.  He may not be quick to accelerate, which wouldn’t be unusual for a big man, but he’s no tortoise.

The bolded bit key though. Having a fast top speed (probably measured chasing/running without the ball) isn’t much use if you can’t compete over 5/10 yards etc. 

• Like 1

On 10/02/2020 at 10:37, VillaFaninLondon said:

Add to that N'Dombele their signing from the summer is overweight apparently and not fit to start - he did well against us in the reverse fixture.

You look at Spurs this season and we should be feeling fired up to get something - their two wins away from home were at Wolves where they were lucky, and at West Ham. They've deservedly lost to Southampton and Brighton without scoring a goal and with Kane playing in both of those games. Drew at Watford and probably should have lost (Deeney missed a pen) and drew at Norwich. Their new signing Bergwijn looks good and has seemingly settled quickly and Son is fast, direct and can finish with both feet. But they have no out and out striker and without Kane they will undoubtedly be weaker. Personally I think Moura and Alli are pretty ineffective throughout a game but can have moments of brilliance. I don't think this will be like City or Leicester and we will get chances but they will be a major threat if we play a sloppy pass and they break on us, so I hope our players actually move for each other and concentrate.

All of their attacking players will be licking their lips over facing our dreadful defence so that is where we should make a change. Bring Engels in for Hause and push Mings to the left-hand side of a back three. I haven't understood the run of games Hause has been getting because I think he's the weak link in our defence and he's poor on the ball. Not sure Davis is fit as he would have been in contention for a start given his impact at Bournemouth, so I'd probably go something like this:

..........................Reina............................

..........Konsa......Engels......Mings..........

Guilbert.......................................Targett

................Luiz........Nakamba.................

Trez/AEG...................................Grealish

.........................Samatta..........................

I think Engels has been passive of late, not sure, whats happened to him, he doesn't attack the ball...I think Hause is better in the air, but its hobsons choice for me.

16 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Engels was excellent at White Hart Lane in the first game of the season

As part of a back 4 and only having to mark Harry Kane.

It's going to be a front 3 this time, against 3 of the quickest players in the league.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, roonst83 said:

I'd perhaps expect Drinky to be brought back in and have Luiz on the bench. Luiz has looked decent asa sub recently. Nakampa is still hit or miss but I suspect Smith will want more "enforcers" in the middle as I don't think we'll have the majority of the ball in the centre of the park. Nakampa has been possibly the most frustrating player this season. His performances against Watford and Leicester second leg showed just what he can do but they are, sadly, rare. Winning the midfield battle in any game can often lead to the outcome so we need much more consistent good performances by Marvelous. 

It's Nakamba.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Keyblade said:

As part of a back 4 and only having to mark Harry Kane.

It's going to be a front 3 this time, against 3 of the quickest players in the league.

Only having to mark Harry Kane?? I think he’s the best striker in the world 

Just now, sir_gary_cahill said:

Why do you say that? Who is better than him?

Aguero is the best PL striker for me, and probably the best PL striker ever.

Worldwide, I could think of 2 or 3 better strikers :) (in my opinion of course!)

Kane is a bit of boring striker in the sense he doesn’t do anything fancy, also he’s quite slow, but in terms of finishing, hold up play and movement in the box he’s world class. You probably wouldn’t want anyone else leading the line for you if he’s fully fit.

At the same time I love watching Aguero, reminds of Romario in his heyday, and even now he's still a fantastic player but gradually declining I think. At his peak he was an absolute joy to watch and without doubt in the top 3 strikers in the world, it would have been a privilege to watch him every week as a Villa player (if the oil money had come our way). It’s a complete travesty he’s only ever been in 1 PFA Team of the Year to be honest.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, TRO said:

I think Engels has been passive of late, not sure, whats happened to him, he doesn't attack the ball...I think Hause is better in the air, but its hobsons choice for me.

He's not really been in the team so can't really judge his recent form. I personally thought he was good alongside Mings before we went on that poor run over Christmas and has the most experience out of all our defenders having played in European competition and four different top flight leagues. He's slow but reads the game well and much better on the ball than Hause. If he played centrally with Mings and Konsa either side I think we could deal with the pace of Spurs out wide. 

Guessing something might have gone on behind the scenes but for the good of the club I'd like to see Engels back in the first 11.

Hause stays in the team for me. When Engels was in the team (not obviously all down to him) we were conceding plenty of goals and allowing a lot of shots on goal. This seems to have improved with the back 3 and Hause winning nearly every aerial ball.

I think I’d rather be nervous when Hause makes the odd stray pass then when the ball comes into our box 20 times a game from crosses and corners without Hause and the opposition have a field day. 

• Like 4