Pre match thread

roonst83

8 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Is there any danger of this being called off?

I wouldn’t have thought so. I think the main worries with the Man City game was travel as the winds were crazy, but things have quietened down now with this storm, so I think it’ll just be rainy. 

I would go:

Reina

Konsa      Mings     Hause

Freddy                                                Targett    
                      Luiz       Nakamba

El Ghazi                                        Grealish     
                            Samatta

2-1 win. Samatta and Jack with our goals. 

Come on you Villa boys! Getting excited now!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Do you think the weather will help us? Burnley got a lucky win yesterday and Norwich were unlucky against Liverpool. 6 out of 7 top teams in championship failed to win. 

Does the weather help weaker teams?

I think it depends on the style of play. It probably does add some chaos to the mix, so that could help us. We do seem to thrive on chaos!

• Like 1

What a win will do for us all today. We need that relief and go-to-work-smug feeling tomorrow- badly. Only way that happens is with a raucous 42k crowd that gets us over the line.

Attacking football from the off whereby we put doubt in the mind of the opposition who thought theyd come here and take an easy result. None of this passive standoff stuff that allows technically better footballers to have the space and time to have their way. Normally its Mings, Grealish who lead by example to give the rest the confidence to think no we’re going to perform above our levels today and get a well earned result. Come on you Villa ffs, we worked hard to get here lets get over that line and look ahead to some more good times.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

What a win will do for us all today. We need that relief and go-to-work-smug feeling tomorrow- badly. Only way that happens is with a raucous 42k crowd that gets us over the line.

Attacking football from the off whereby we put doubt in the mind of the opposition who thought theyd come here and take an easy result. None of this passive standoff stuff that allows technically better footballers to have the space and time to have their way. Normally its Mings, Grealish who lead by example to give the rest the confidence to think no we’re going to perform above our levels today and get a well earned result. Come on you Villa ffs, we worked hard to get here lets get over that line and look ahead to some more good times.

That ain’t happening looking at the floods!

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Do you think the weather will help us? Burnley got a lucky win yesterday and Norwich were unlucky against Liverpool. 6 out of 7 top teams in championship failed to win. 

Does the weather help weaker teams?

I think it would against a team with a free flowing style of play. I think a more physical team will still be just as difficult. Mourinho has done a good job at making Spurs more physical so will be tough.

I worry if anything that our already wayward crossing is going to be embarrassing today😄

On 10/02/2020 at 13:21, WakefieldVillan said:

I would also add no Eriksen either who was instrumental in Spurs turning the screw in the reverse fixture. We were 'just' about coping before his substitution, Winks is good on the ball but it's usually all in front of the defence, when Eriksen came on he was picking up pockets of space (as he does) and we inevitably came up unstuck. 

They have able replacements to the players missing, players like Son, Dele-Alli and Moura on their day have the pace, skill and guile to cause our defence plenty of problems make no mistake, however in front of a packed Villa Park we certainly shouldn't fear them.

I would usually take a point and a good performance from games like this but with our away form this season, I have more confidence in picking up 3 points from this match than the following one at St Mary's.

Prediction 2-2

Eriksen did indeed make a huge difference.

They brought him on, we brought on Jota. A little example right there of how there are many reasons why we’ve had to accept fewer points than we’d like.