Pre match thread

roonst83

17 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Was confident before the last round of games that this is one we can win but it will be tough. Another team who traditionally get their way at Villa Park over the last decade. Head is telling me they have far more about their side and we’ll slump to a 3-0 defeat but this is precisely the sort of game we need to pull a result out the bag in. Its the do or die stage in the season whereby we need to gain a shock result or two, infront of a fullhouse at home is our best chance.

They are flaky this season but Villa are always the opponent to put that right against ffs. Pace they have in Son/Lucas worries me up against Engels/Hause. Draw at best for me.

Son is a good player as we know. However he has scored the grand total of one goal away all season in the league, Dele Ali the same. There must be a reason and it's not like every other club in the league have quicker back 4s than we do.

I agree Moura's a classic counter attack player so he could cause issues but then Gulibert is reasonably quick.

If you look at the Leicester games we at least learnt parking the back 4 40 yards from goal isn't always a great tactic. In league cup we played much deeper and got two excellent results.

I think we'll get something if we concede just once to Spurs. Always 2 or 3 goals and it's unlikely but Spurs really don't score many goals away from home so let's not do the usual trick of hyping them up to be something  they aren't this season.

• Like 2

On 03/02/2020 at 10:37, villalad21 said:

Well we are the only team not to have a win against the bigger sides. Maybe there is a reason for that.

I don't doubt Smith is good at coaching. He's good at the training pitch. But tactically he is probably the worst in the league.

Two problems for me. We lack ball carriers in the final third with real pace. Look at the carnage Adama caused v Man. City as and outball and of course in the days we had Young and Gabby we'd frequently beat the better teams although more away from home. The CL teams all push their back 4s up to halfway line so there is always space to run into if you have quick players and passers.

In the final third we are slow so teams can quickly re-organise and our attacks mostly break down.

And the other is of course DS game management. We should've beaten Arsenal and perhaps got a point off Spurs but problem is he's too slow to change tactics/personnel when the top teams start to build momentum. As we've seen many times this season you can get away with it at championship level where it's end to end madness but you concede space to top players and you'll be pinned back in your half for 10 minute spells and of course more likely to concede if you can't offer a threat at other end.

Edited by VillaChris

3 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Two problems for me. We lack ball carriers in the final third with real pace. Look at the carnage Adama caused v Man. City as and outball and of course in the days we had Young and Gabby we'd frequently beat the better teams although more away from home. The CL teams all push their back 4s up to halfway line so there is always space to run into if you have quick players and passers.

In the final third we are slow so teams can quickly re-organise and our attacks mostly break down.

And the other is of course DS game management. We should've beaten Arsenal and perhaps got a point off Spurs but problem is he's too slow to change tactics/personnel when the top teams start to build momentum. As we've seen many times this season you can get away with it at championship level where it's end to end madness but you concede space to top players and you'll be pinned back in your half for 10 minute spells and of course more likely to concede if you can't offer a threat at other end.

? We have one of the very best ball carriers or dribblers in the game in Jack... imo he’s better than all the players you mentioned (Gabby?! 🤣)

The problem is a lack of quality and support around him. We really miss McGinn in that sense...

Plus we are too weak or lightweight in central midfield. 

They also don’t have Erikson who was one of their best players. Son has been great and goals and assists per minutes one of the best this season from midfield. 

it will take a moment of magic to win this. Someone needs to have a 10/10 performance for us to win this. 

On 01/02/2020 at 21:06, VillaChris said:

Pretty confident on this. 2-1 win.

Spurs have failed to win away at Brighton, Watford, Southampton and Norwich in recent games. People will go on about how amazing Son and Dele Alli are and we should bow down to them. Son has scored one away goal all season, Dele one aswell. What exactly are we supposed to be scared of?

They have kept one clean sheet away all season at Watford when Deeney missed a penalty.

If we approach this game like Man. City at home I'd be hugely frustrated. Leicester are miles better than Spurs this year and we showed good mentality v them in the cup. If we take that into the league games v some of the top half teams we will get draws and the odd win v them but seems with pressure of league points we massively put the handbrake on and retreat into our own half.

It really needs to stop and this game can be a turning point.

Bang on......but the thing to be afraid of is ourselves.

We are capable of beating anyone.......87 minutes and still in the lead against Liverpool was testimony to that.....if we can do that against them, why should we be afraid of anyone.

The Man city debacle, was us and the lack of application......it was a shocker as much as the other game was remarkable, in performance.

Its all down to us, and what Villa team turns up......you can say that for the rest of the season.

The problem we have right now is, with nearly 50 goals conceded, the sharks smell blood.

Edited by TRO

18 hours ago, Jas10 said:

? We have one of the very best ball carriers or dribblers in the game in Jack... imo he’s better than all the players you mentioned (Gabby?! 🤣)

The problem is a lack of quality and support around him. We really miss McGinn in that sense...

Plus we are too weak or lightweight in central midfield. 

Yeah I should've said apart from Grealish but I meant more in the final third and out wide e.g. Trez and AEG who can be quick on the run but flatter to deceive so often when they start.

When Jack picks up the ball and dribbles it's usually 30/40 yards out. I meant more a ball over the top out wide and someone to run onto that and stretch a back 4 which Gabby at his peak used to do pretty well v likes of Arsenal and Chelsea.

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Yeah I should've said apart from Grealish but I meant more in the final third and out wide e.g. Trez and AEG who can be quick on the run but flatter to deceive so often when they start.

When Jack picks up the ball and dribbles it's usually 30/40 yards out. I meant more a ball over the top out wide and someone to run onto that and stretch a back 4 which Gabby at his peak used to do pretty well v likes of Arsenal and Chelsea.

No probs 👍

Yeah, if he had better players behind/around him (or those that are here actually step up and show some confidence & belief instead of just relying on Jack), the kind that can pick him out with a decent pass or two and play him in, then he could focus on being more deadly in that attacking third. Atm he is having to do too much and dropping back too far to receive the ball... just shows how talented a player he is that he can manage all that and still get goals and assists for us.

I agree on AEG & Trez too, they are just not good enough. AEG far too inconsistent despite possessing a fair amount of talent. Trez works hard but lacks technical skill/ability/co-ordination, just comes across as a headless chicken who tires easily. 

Luiz is our 2nd best player in terms of technical skill and ability but I don’t think we have established a position/role for him in the team. If he could link up & play with Grealish that might help us. Let Nakamba & Drinkwater focus on the defensive side of things, at least until McGinn returns...

I just hope we manage to stay up and then we can strengthen this team further and really kick on & progress. No reason for Jack to leave then.

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Robtaylor200 said:

Would love to see Samatta and Davis up front. One holding and one picking up the second chances. To me it would be the old style Villa. But I fully expect to see Davis start on the bench

Didn't Keinan get injured?

Its too late to start messing with formations but I don't expect us to beat any top half teams with the 3 at the back and wingbacks, its just too defence minded. Have a horrible feeling it will get us relegated as well.

4 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

Its too late to start messing with formations but I don't expect us to beat any top half teams with the 3 at the back and wingbacks, its just too defence minded. Have a horrible feeling it will get us relegated as well.

We might be forced to change formation.

Isn't Konsa injured? We only have 3 fit CB now. Massive mistake to let Chester go.

23 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

Leicester not count or is cup games special circumstances?

If we can beat Leicester we can certainly beat any of Arsenal, Man. United or Spurs imo with a similar performance.

30 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

If we can beat Leicester we can certainly beat any of Arsenal, Man. United or Spurs imo with a similar performance.

Cup games are indeed special circumstances, I don't believe that result happens in the league.

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

thats the key question.....with that, I have no doubt of us staying up.

However, we have to remember, Nyland was superman on the night, that is hard to expect again.