Pre match thread

roonst83

11 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Yeah. We have also conceded the most amount of goals from set pieces. Smith's attacking style shouldn't matter in that regard.

Everyone's laughed at Norwich defending this season. The fact that we've conceded as many is very alarming. But not only that. We are also the team that concede the most amount of shots.

On a positive note we do score a decent amount of goals and we still create chances. No reason to give up yet, but our run in will be hard. Very hard.

I just looked it up and we've actually conceded 12 goals from set pieces, the highest in the league. We've also had 12.7 shots per game, more than Spurs, Arsenal and Wolves, but conceded 17.6 shots per game which again is the highest in the league. Sides like Newcastle and Palace are amongst the worst placed sides in the league for shots for and shots against, so it's a surprise they're as high as they are and makes me think they've been somewhat lucky.

Yes they can't give up. Smith said the team will be better this half of the season than the first, which would mean we probably survive, so hopefully he’s right. West Ham have a tough run in themselves, as do Bournemouth. Indications are also that McGinn will be back early March, which will drastically strengthen the midfield for the remaining games. But no one can deny this has been a disappointing season and will be nail biting right to the end. We have to really improve next season if we stay in this league. We need a much better transfer window in the summer and in my opinion a more high profile manager that can turn us into the team we want to be.  

1 hour ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

You think moaning at refs is a good thing? I hate it when he does it

No, it’s not a good thing at all but like it or not pressurising refs, as most teams do, will often influence them. There is no point us being the only good guys.

Captains often get more favourable treatment from refs, which is why a lot of teams have the captain who is their best player. It’s just sound logic.

Just now, Elton said:

No, it’s not a good thing at all but like it or not pressurising refs, as most teams do, will often influence them. There is no point us being the only good guys.

Captains often get more favourable treatment from refs, which is why a lot of teams have the captain who is their best player. It’s just sound logic.

Why is there not point being the only good guys? I’d prefer us to be relegated being good guys than not being relegated while being nasty

• Confused 3

14 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Well they just beat Man City.

Their confidence will be through the roof.

Just can't see a win here. 1-3 loss.

But beating Man City isn't anything so special anymore this season, I think Spurs were the sixth team to have done so now. Still, yes, their confidence will be high (as City are after all the champions and an incredibly expensive team), but that could perhaps play into our hands a bit if we're lucky, in that there's potential for them to be a little complacent and over-confident. 

I just hope it will be a case of the... er... Brucey's "after the Lord Mayor's Show" for Spurs. 

Was confident before the last round of games that this is one we can win but it will be tough. Another team who traditionally get their way at Villa Park over the last decade. Head is telling me they have far more about their side and we’ll slump to a 3-0 defeat but this is precisely the sort of game we need to pull a result out the bag in. Its the do or die stage in the season whereby we need to gain a shock result or two, infront of a fullhouse at home is our best chance.

They are flaky this season but Villa are always the opponent to put that right against ffs. Pace they have in Son/Lucas worries me up against Engels/Hause. Draw at best for me.

• Like 1

On 03/02/2020 at 02:27, sir_gary_cahill said:

I just think he’s more of a leader than Grealish, in my opinion, the captain should always be a centre back, don’t you agree?

Not necessarily but I suppose a lot are so it’s not an unusual thing.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Yep. No medals for being 'nice'. 

I want villa to be a team that others think '****, we are at VP on saturday, we are in for a rough ride '.

I really worry about your 'opinions' sometimes

You don’t get any medals for just kicking people either though, I’d prefer us to be nice and play other teams off the park, maybe it’s just me....for a change ;)

3 minutes ago, BOF said:

That wasn't the original choice though.  Everyone would love to be nice and play other teams off the park.  The choice was between 'be nice and get relegated' or 'be nasty and stay up'.  There was no 'be nice and stay up' option.  Given the first two choices, I'll choose nasty and stay up.  That's the medal on offer.  There's no honour in being naïve by letting more street smart sides gain advantages that we refuse to avail of, because that means you're playing to a different set of criteria than everyone else is, and there's no point in that.

Well phrased 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

And while I'm here ... I'll be slightly amazed if we get anything from this game.  As bad as they've been away from home, we are always just the tonic for ailing teams.  And they've just beaten Man City, so ...

• Like 1

On 01/02/2020 at 21:06, VillaChris said:

Pretty confident on this. 2-1 win.

Spurs have failed to win away at Brighton, Watford, Southampton and Norwich in recent games.

We keep having games like this we then lose comfortably :lol:

4 hours ago, BOF said:

And while I'm here ... I'll be slightly amazed if we get anything from this game.  As bad as they've been away from home, we are always just the tonic for ailing teams.  And they've just beaten Man City, so ...

No way of telling how we or they are going to react to two weeks off.

If I remember correctly, we’ve done quite well after the international breaks this season. A draw at home to West Ham but then wins at home to Brighton and Newcastle. Hopefully this can continue with this next break, god knows we need it to. 

• Like 1