Relegation thread

Knutserov13

1 hour ago, chips'ngravy said:

Given there's a strong chance the season could be suspended again I'd expect Villa to be lobbying hard to get the Sheff Utd game played as soon as possible so we're not in the position of being potentially relegated having played a game less. 

Apparantly already discussed that the PL want the teams with games in hand to play them ASAP incase of another league stoppage

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Nabby said:

Apparantly already discussed that the PL want the teams with games in hand to play them ASAP incase of another league stoppage

So void is not an option then. Either ppg or play out the season

When we play Wolves we simply can't play as high a line as we did v Spurs. Even though wer were good first half that day Spurs still ran through us 4-5 times in the first half which lead to stuff like the penalty. Adama and D Jota will enjoy it if we're pushing the full backs way up the field all the time.

Given it will only be our second game back it will actually be a good idea if Dean has actually learnt anything from watching all our games again during the break and how we played it tactically.

We never got close to them at Molineux and can't take much from the cup game as they were playing 16 year olds in that one so simply wasn't a priority (and our team wasn't that strong either).

5 hours ago, VillaChris said:

When we play Wolves we simply can't play as high a line as we did v Spurs. Even though wer were good first half that day Spurs still ran through us 4-5 times in the first half which lead to stuff like the penalty. Adama and D Jota will enjoy it if we're pushing the full backs way up the field all the time.

Given it will only be our second game back it will actually be a good idea if Dean has actually learnt anything from watching all our games again during the break and how we played it tactically.

We never got close to them at Molineux and can't take much from the cup game as they were playing 16 year olds in that one so simply wasn't a priority (and our team wasn't that strong either).

Same with Chelsea. If we try to go toe to toe with them we'll lose

4 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Same with Chelsea. If we try to go toe to toe with them we'll lose

Part of me thinks Smith tries to force quality out of our players that just isn't there or at least is going to take a very long time to bring out. Going Toe to Toe with the top clubs is something we shouldn't be doing, I admire Smith for trying but that won't win us our points till we can bring better able body's into Villa. We need to simply do the right thing at the right time and make the right decision on the pitch and not have our players doing things we know they can't for a while if ever.

Some of the things we got caught for against the teams on fire were all down to simplicity, if that player had only booted it down field, if one player had of been covering his position properly, so on. 

We try to hard at times and instead of doing the simple thing, the job turns out to be a nightmare and were our own worst enemy's.

I think one problem is the marking, we've been doing zonal marking have we not, we got blasted by pundits over and over for using that..

I Guess we will all see how our season unfolds, despite hundreds still dieing each day from Covid,  I think it's wrong to bring football back at the time being. We can only hope that all players and anyone who they come in contact with is without the desease.

Let's just hope Smith has managed to teach our dogs some new tricks.

• Like 1

DS had and has the completely wrong idear about what to do.We finished last season 3rd,FFS that means we were the worst of the 3 teams that went up,and it means that we start the season in the Premier League at number 20.So what does DS try to do ?! beat the top teams and go toe to toe with everyone.We were/are bottom of the division we have to fight for any points at all.This should have been a season of consolidation and drawing games.Not a season playing like we won the Champions league last term.For crying out loud,there are 38 games.Why not try to win 3/5 and draw the rest ?Surley we can win 3 games at VP. 

2 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

DS had and has the completely wrong idear about what to do.We finished last season 3rd,FFS that means we were the worst of the 3 teams that went up,and it means that we start the season in the Premier League at number 20.So what does DS try to do ?! beat the top teams and go toe to toe with everyone.We were/are bottom of the division we have to fight for any points at all.This should have been a season of consolidation and drawing games.Not a season playing like we won the Champions league last term.For crying out loud,there are 38 games.Why not try to win 3/5 and draw the rest ?Surley we can win 3 games at VP. 

We actually finished 5th

I meant.we were the third team to go up.Meaning we were third best overall.Also meaning we were 20th at the start of the Premier League season.So, we have moved up ONE place with 10 games to go.

6 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

We actually finished 5th

Yes and our record against teams above us wasn't great either 

It was always going to be tough but we needed to be hard to beat and get some draws instead we have too open and picked apart and quite literally can not defend from corners 

1 minute ago, Nabby said:

can not defend from corners 

That's the mind boggling thing.

We started off the season with zonal marking. We have conceded the most amount of goals from set pieces. We are still doing zonal marking.

Maybe it's time to try something new?

6 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

That's the mind boggling thing.

We started off the season with zonal marking. We have conceded the most amount of goals from set pieces. We are still doing zonal marking.

Maybe it's time to try something new?

It's not even Zonal only Mings is zonal as a free man to attack the corners , the rest man mark ..poorly and yes its pointed out by pundits and yet we still keep doing it

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Nabby said:

Yes and our record against teams above us wasn't great either 

It was always going to be tough but we needed to be hard to beat and get some draws instead we have too open and picked apart and quite literally can not defend from corners 

Yes and No

Norwich was a dead rubber at VP and the other game was just Smith 2nd game. Leeds at VP was the famous 3 right backs and a crippled Chester playing in back 4, game at Leeds was an even draw with 10 men. Drew with Sheffield United shit start, great comeback. Baggies would have been 2 wins each except Rodriguez handball

If you split this season in to quartiles, The first and third quartiles are ok in line to finish on 40 points. The second quartile is the fly in the ointment, very poor points return.

Its all down to the fourth quartile, we need about 15 points to recover ground on the second quartile.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, gurru991 said:

I'm guessing that you like this word a lot !

What did you want me to call it the third.?lol

But more importantly, did you get the point.

Edited by TRO

On 21/05/2020 at 15:04, PussEKatt said:

I meant.we were the third team to go up.Meaning we were third best overall.Also meaning we were 20th at the start of the Premier League season.So, we have moved up ONE place with 10 games to go.

Therefore, as we are currently 19th, we are overachieving - Smith IN!!!!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, TRO said:

What did you want me to call the third.?lol

But more importantly, did you get the point.

I did get the point and agree. 

• Like 1

We're absolutely going down in my eyes. Players are not good enough. Perhaps the manager isn't, he might have had a chance if he was given some decent players.

Summer was crucial and we shit it. We could have set ourselves up to be bulletproof for at least three seasons. As it is, we need something superhuman from Jack Grealish to pull off an utter miracle. Then who knows, if Suso is bringing players in again it depends if agents offer him good players.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

We're absolutely going down in my eyes. Players are not good enough. Perhaps the manager isn't, he might have had a chance if he was given some decent players.

Summer was crucial and we shit it. We could have set ourselves up to be bulletproof for at least three seasons. As it is, we need something superhuman from Jack Grealish to pull off an utter miracle. Then who knows, if Suso is bringing players in again it depends if agents offer him good players.

It fear you are right.