Relegation thread

Knutserov13

18 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

I really hope we stay up and then solidify next  year with Smith at the helm. For those old enough our first season back under Lord Saunders we almost went down again and look what happened the next year, arguably the most exciting and best Villa team ever including the 80/81 side. I have loved our resurgence and the old ground packed to the rafters every week. Have faith, do you believe in the Villa........

We finished 16th on 39 points in 75/6. We were 9 points clear of the relegation places on 39 points (2 points for a win back then) and only 7 points off 6th, so we didn't really fear relegation back then. 88/89 was a closer run thing though. We finished only one place and one point clear of the last relegation place on our first year back up back then. Graham Taylor turned things around the following year big-time, when we finished runners-up to Liverpool. 

I would take 39 points this year and finishing 4th (as in 76/7) or 2nd (as in 89/90) next season! ;)

9 minutes ago, John said:

We finished 16th on 39 points in 75/6. We were 9 points clear of the relegation places on 39 points (2 points for a win back then) and only 7 points off 6th, so we didn't really fear relegation back then. 88/89 was a closer run thing though. We finished only one place and one point clear of the last relegation place on our first year back up back then. Graham Taylor turned things around the following year big-time, when we finished runners-up to Liverpool. 

I would take 39 points this year and finishing 4th (as in 76/7) or 2nd (as in 89/90) next season! ;)

Hell Yeah, as I posted I think that 76/77 side was the best Villa team I have ever had the pleasure to watch. We could have easily won the league that year with a bit of luck and without the fixture pile up. Last game of 89/90 at Everton I will never forget, GT'S Claret and Blue Army blaring out throughout the game regardless even when Everton scored and that big three  tear stand at the side skaking along (actually thought it was going to fall down 😆)  

Edited by Follyfoot
Mistake
  • Like 1

I don’t think we’ll get relegated... I’m not massively confident or anything, but I just have a feeling we will scrape it on the last day or something. I did enjoy the games in the Championship, and while I’m so glad we’re out of it, and really hope we stay out of it, it’s not the end of the world if we do. We have owners that seem to be in for the long haul, who have deep pockets and relatively long arms ;). The major worry for me is if we did go down then we likely lose Jack, Mings, McGinn and probably a couple of the other better rated youngsters like Luiz. That would be a real shame, but we just have to hope we can do enough.  

Edited by alreadyexists
  • Like 3

I’m amazed people think we will stay up. I can only assume they have forgotten how woeful we have been for months

Nothing in midfield, none existent wide players and the most incompetent group of defenders In the entire league

1 hour ago, KHV said:

I’m amazed people think we will stay up. I can only assume they have forgotten how woeful we have been for months

Nothing in midfield, none existent wide players and the most incompetent group of defenders In the entire league

Yes your are right but this is villa we don't do things easily 

UTV 

7 hours ago, KHV said:

I think a lot of people is putting faith in McGinn being the magic wand.

21 hours ago, KHV said:

For me it's a ten game mini season & I think Villa have as good a chance as anyone.

• Like 2

On 30/05/2020 at 09:56, useless said:

I don't get why there's so much focus on the Sheffield United game, seen quite a few people tweet things along the lines of that they believe we will beat them and stay up, some seem to have got it into their heads that that game alone will determine whether we will be relegated or not; it's just one of ten games we have left to play, we could beat them and still go down and we could lose and still survive.

Yes thats true.....but a good result, will test the resolve of our relegation candidates.

it could rattle the nerves of the others.

• Like 1

We don't need to go on an amazing run of form to stay up, in fact our earlier season form would probably be enough, evidenced by the fact that despite losing four games in a row we're still only four points from safety, if we can put an end to that run and avoid going on another one like it, and providing the other clubs don't go on amazing runs of form, then we should have a good chance

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

Yes thats true.....but a good result, will test the resolve of our relegation candidates.

it could rattle the nerves of the others.

And lose the first game can mentally send the players straight back from where they left off.

Game is crucial. Need a good performance

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, useless said:

We don't need to go on an amazing run of form to stay up, in fact our earlier season form would probably be enough, evidenced by the fact that despite losing four games in a row we're still only four points from safety, if we can put an end to that run and avoid going on another one like it, and providing the other clubs don't go on amazing runs of form, then we should have a good chance

No we don't. Game in hand and only 2 pts off the point per game ratio.

13 hours ago, useless said:

Sadly, it becomes increasingly difficult if we fail our mission to continue in better form.

I agree and losing quickly becomes a habit.

Was speaking more in a mathematically basis.

If we win our game in hand we're suddenly back on track point wise. We can  then lose the 2 next games, win the next and we're still in route for the point per game ratio. If we were way off drift we would have to go on a good run, but we're not off drift. Not yet anyways.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 2

On 30/05/2020 at 09:00, alreadyexists said:

"we just have to hope we can do enough"

And when will the badges with our new motto written on them be released?

9 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

If the worst does happen and we get relegated back to The Championship, at least we’ll have the derbies against Birmingham City again

Yeah can’t contain my excitement to go to the pig sty again and witness our players be assaulted.

1 minute ago, Hobbit Feet said:

Yeah can’t contain my excitement to go to the pig sty again and witness our players be assaulted.

They haven’t beaten us in the league since 2005, long may it continue