Relegation thread

Knutserov13

1 hour ago, nepal_villan said:

Actually I think it's 1 match season. Win Sheffield United and we'll be safe. Lose or draw and we are going down.

This is exactly right (other than they might not have relegation since League 2 and now likely League 1 are voting against it). They’ll play those two games. Finishing the season won’t work. It’ll get called on where everyone is at that point. 

3 hours ago, ozvilla28 said:

Will be fine if we can do the basics in defending only basics we need this part worrys me tho, goals will come no issue.

We scored 13 goal in our last 14 league games.

That's relegation numbers, especially for a team that can't defend or keep possession.

I really hope we stay up and then solidify next  year with Smith at the helm. For those old enough our first season back under Lord Saunders we almost went down again and look what happened the next year, arguably the most exciting and best Villa team ever including the 80/81 side. I have loved our resurgence and the old ground packed to the rafters every week. Have faith, do you believe in the Villa........

• Like 2

I feel it's kind of a no lose situation now.

Before the lockdown we were going down. It's hard to argue otherwise. We had just been thrashed by Leicester which was our fourth loss in a row, we hadn't actually gained a point in the league since our last minute winner against Watford in mid-January and our injury list was only getting worse.

Now we return refreshed, with more to fight for than many (are midtable teams training as hard right now?), with a few more players back and a mini-preseason to further bed in the likes of Samatta.

I suspect we may still go down, quite likely in fact, but at least we have a better chance than we did.

• Like 1

Seems like a lot of people is putting faith in us beating Sheffield United.

It will be an incredible tough game. Without the VP crowd it will be even tougher.

The few times i've watched The Blades this season i've been impressed. They work incredibly hard for each other. Bleed their hearts out in every single aerial battle and tackle.

They will not give us time on the ball and try to bully us. It's up to us to accept the battle. Too many times this season we've not turned up.

I don't get why there's so much focus on the Sheffield United game, seen quite a few people tweet things along the lines of that they believe we will beat them and stay up, some seem to have got it into their heads that that game alone will determine whether we will be relegated or not; it's just one of ten games we have left to play, we could beat them and still go down and we could lose and still survive.

• Like 1

Although you are right, I can see why fans are putting huge emphasis on this game, I personally think from a mental aspect it could define our season.

We looked totally devoid of any confidence before the break, a win first time out would give us some of our belief back. I think it's massive. 

On 28/05/2020 at 22:39, useless said:

we've just been unlucky that the other teams near the bottom have been having better seasons than usual in part thanks to the bad form of the likes of Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs, and Man Utd, I suppose the flipside to that is whilst teams around us have taken advantage of that bad form we haven't as of yet, our first game back would be a good time to start.

The one that sticks in my throat is Watford walking over Liverpool.   No one in their right mind would have put so much as a quid on that before the game.  It was an impossibility. 

If Liverpool had done their job Watford would not only be in the relegation zone but be below us too.  That was a truly freak result. 

• Like 1

Didn't realise that it was our first game, was expecting Chelsea to be the first game. The fact that the games in hand are being played first indicates to me that perhaps the premier league aren't confident that the season will be completed, in which case winning as many of the games that we do manage to play will be very important.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, useless said:

Didn't realise that it was our first game, was expecting Chelsea to be the first game. The fact that the games in hand are being played first indicates to me that perhaps the premier league aren't confident that the season will be completed, in which case winning as many of the games that we do manage to play will be very important.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking, that they arent confident that the season will end for whatever reason whether spike in the community, a club has significant amount of players that cant play....let's say 8 or more because of infection or quarantine and then it becomes too unfair on them or fans are gathering too much for games in cities, outside grounds or whatever.

I think also, beating Sheff U will give us a massive boost, especially given our run before the lockdown.  So mentally for us that we can survive and will worry other teams around us because then we'll be one point clear of relegation in 16th.  It also means we are closer to final safety at the end of the season.....just a big boost.  Defeat wont be the end of the world because there is still 9 games afterwards and Sheff U are a good team so I'm relaxed either way so a win isnt a must in this game but we have to start picking up points quickly.

I thought we were going to survive before the lockdown, which I know a lot with argue with but that's what I thought.  I'm unsure now because nobody has any idea how players across the league will react to this but I'm very hopeful especially with McGinn back, Samatta gets some more time in this country and fitness up along with understanding tactics and Dean having chance to review where we have gone wrong in the past.  I know other teams have had the chance to do the same but I have to be optimistic.  It's also given Jack a bit of time to refresh himself because he was giving everything before the break so this breather has probably aided him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

The one that sticks in my throat is Watford walking over Liverpool.   No one in their right mind would have put so much as a quid on that before the game.  It was an impossibility. 

If Liverpool had done their job Watford would not only be in the relegation zone but be below us too.  That was a truly freak result. 

And they would be champions and league probably would be called off already 

1 minute ago, It's Your Round said:

Villa will stay up. 

Yep, we aren't going down. 

2 minutes ago, av1 said:

Yep, we aren't going down. 

Two points off safety with a game in hand, I honestly have faith that we can pick up the points we need to escape. It’s not like we’re cut adrift with no hope, despite what some people choose to believe. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

Two points off safety with a game in hand, I honestly have faith that we can pick up the points we need to escape. It’s not like we’re cut adrift with no hope, despite what some people choose to believe. 

Me too. Our form wasn't great before the lockdown but some are talking like we are cut adrift. 

McGinn was a huge loss and having him back will be a boost. Jack will be fresh, and I'm looking forward to watching them both play around Samatta. I really think we'll pick up enough wins to keep us up. 

Just now, av1 said:

Me too. Our form wasn't great before the lockdown but some are talking like we are cut adrift. 

McGinn was a huge loss and having him back will be a boost. Jack will be fresh, and I'm looking forward to watching them both play around Samatta. I really think we'll pick up enough wins to keep us up. 

I agree mate. I think the extended break will also have helped some of the players adjust to England and helped them refocus. 

13 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

I agree mate. I think the extended break will also have helped some of the players adjust to England and helped them refocus. 

Agree. It could also be argued that a lot of the teams with little/nothing to play for are going to be lacking focus. I know it's pretty bold given our form prior to lockdown, but I really am extremely confident we will stay up.