Relegation thread

Knutserov13

10 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

We can lose narrowly to Arsenal and still have a shot in surviving. 

That's the mad part.

Have the bottom teams ever been this bad?

Surviving on 34 pts would be pathetic.

36 is the average. 34 is hardly pathetic. 

3 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Honestly, a 1-0 loss to Arsenal right now would not be a terrible result. 

(As mad as that sounds) 

That does sound mad. We would be below Bournemouth and they could go on and beat Everton. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

36 is the average. 34 is hardly pathetic. 

Totally agree we survive on 34points don't be surprised if I get arrested for causing commotion on the streets of Walsall!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That was tense but an absolutely perfect ending with the disallowed Bournemouth goal and the second Saints goal which I think has left them totally demoralised, on top of that the crazy news coming from Vicarage Road, it has been a brilliant day for us.

I stuck £20 on Bournemouth at 0-1 and another £20 for 1-1 with 5 to go... it was the best £40 I've spent (wasted!) 🤣 Don't worry ill be doing the same silly bets on the remaining matches 😉

I just hope we can spring a surprise Tuesday and a get a result Sunday 🙏 

• Like 2

Just now, AvonVillain said:

I think if someone offered us 34 points to finish on at the start of the season, nobody would take it. It's a terrible return.

Completley agree - I for one would be going ballistic with joy should we stay up but regardless it’s shambolic that it’s coming to this. However we gloss it up it’s been a shambolic season survival shouldn’t gloss that should we escape.

either way Tuesday could be one of the most pivotal days in villas history for the next few years.

3 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

I think if someone offered us 34 points to finish on at the start of the season, nobody would take it. It's a terrible return.

Its 2 pts off the average required to stay up and thats all we need to do. 

Lose 1-0 against Arsenal and beat West Ham we finish 34 points with -27 GD.

Watford lose to Man City 2-0 and then to Arsenal 2-0. Leaves them on 34 points with -27 GD.

Bournemouth draw 1-1 away at Everton. 

Simples. Right? 

• Like 2

the problem we have is goal difference.

even If Watford concede 2 goals in the next 2 games, and score zero, they are still only on -25 goals at the end of the season.

We are currently -27 goals, if our goal difference is the same (and same points), it goes down to goals scored (we have scored more).

So, what do we need:

Watford to lose both their remaining games, by as much as possible.

we could lose to Arsenal, but would need 3 points from West Ham, but our goal difference swing over those 2 games needs to take us to the same -G as Watford.

Example:

WK 37:

Watford 0 - 2 Man City

Aston Villa 0 - Arsenal 1

WK 38:

Arsenal 2 - 0 Watford

West Ham 1 - 2 Aston Villa

In that scenario, Villa and Watford would be on the same points (34), and the same Goal Difference (-27), but we would stay up on goals scored (villa: 41, Watford: 34), meaning we would stay up on goals scored.

Edit: in the above scenario, if Bournemouth win their last game (Everton away), they would stay up, and both Villa and Watford would be relegated :P, as Bournemouth would also be on 34 points but a better minus goals stat than both us or Watford.

I do not however, only see us losing to Arsenal by 1 goal.......

also, talk about me clutching at literal straws......

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, avfcDJ said:

If we had Villa park packed with fans I’d back us to beat Arsenal. They are fragile when the noise is loud.

We should just employ Mike Tyson and we'll have a full ground with his entourage alone. That way we can say they're important motivational staff.

Edited by Sulberto21
  • Haha 1