Relegation thread

Knutserov13

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Its the goal difference thats gonna kill us

For sure. As others have said, it is our lack of a proven striker this season which has done us - had we had one we would not be headed down - even with all the mistakes at the back. I do think though that remarkably we still have a chance - I'm watching from a point of curiosity, didn't even celebrate the goal yesterday - probably just detaching myself from the inevitable disaster. 

8 minutes ago, Jareth said:

For sure. As others have said, it is our lack of a proven striker this season which has done us - had we had one we would not be headed down - even with all the mistakes at the back. I do think though that remarkably we still have a chance - I'm watching from a point of curiosity, didn't even celebrate the goal yesterday - probably just detaching myself from the inevitable disaster. 

I think it's the other way around.  I still believe we needed another striker from the start and leaving all the pressure on Wes for so long was wrong.  Though I still think it's our defensive woes that have caused us probable relegation.  Defending from corners, defending in the last 15 minutes and shots conceded. We have actually looked better since the restart and if played like that all season I think we would have a few points in the bag and probably safe.  I think firstly we missed another quality centre half, then a dominant midfielder and then another striker in hindsight.  I mean, even Luiz current form across the whole season, I think, would've been enough to say us from relegation.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

We should be hoping, praying for this.

Watford beat West Ham. We at least draw with Arsenal, West Ham lose. Beat West Ham on the final day to leapfrog them. And obviously hope Bournemouth lose to Soton.

Or we beat arsenal west ham win and then we go in game with west ham safe and gives us a better chance of winning

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Or we beat arsenal west ham win and then we go in game with west ham safe and gives us a better chance of winning

this please

33 minutes ago, Jareth said:

I think it’s the most I’ve celebrated one since the POF, I really thought we were going to do it.  You’d think I would have learned by now.

• Like 2

Just now, MCU said:

So basically, anything other than a West Ham win tonight and we're in shit street.

I think a draw is now the worst result whereas if we’d held on last night it would’ve possibly been the best result.

• Like 2

Also, I've noticed a pattern (me included)... we are all assuming Watford are going to lose against Man City (understandable) and Arsenal yet holding out hope we're going to get a point or even win against them? 

3 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

I think a draw is now the worst result whereas if we’d held on last night it would’ve possibly been the best result.

Yes sorry, draw would be disaster. Basically means we need to win both due to GD. 4 points at the absolute least but hope Watford get pummeled.

Edited by MCU

5 minutes ago, MCU said:

Also, I've noticed a pattern (me included)... we are all assuming Watford are going to lose against Man City (understandable) and Arsenal yet holding out hope we're going to get a point or even win against them? 

Yes. At this stage is either complete blind faith lunacy, or sad resignation that we are going down.

1 hour ago, omariqy said:

You still have to retain some hope otherwise there is no point in being a fan. However, so many things have to go for us that it is highly unlikely. 

The best case scenario for us in the coming days

- West Ham win by at least 2 clear goals today

- Arsenal either win in the cup or take it to extra time

- Saints get at least a draw on Sunday

- Man City beat Watford by 3 clear goals

This would mean the table would look like the following before we play Arsenal. 

17 Watford FC Watford FC 37 8 10 19 35:60 -26 34
18 AFC Bournemouth AFC Bournemouth 37 8 8 21 38:63 -25 32
19 Aston Villa Aston Villa 36 8 7 21 39:66 -27 31
20 Norwich City Norwich City 36 5 6 25 26:68 -42 21

We then again have a cup final game and mentality going into the Arsenal game. A win could put you in a place where you probably only really need to match Watford's result to stay up. 

Great, I was all set and resigned to us going down, now I'm looking at this going, "this all looks very plausible", and now have hope again. When we inevitably still get relegated now it'll hurt even more, thanks a lot! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, weedman said:

Great, I was all set and resigned to us going down, now I'm looking at this going, "this all looks very plausible", and now have hope again. When we inevitably still get relegated now it'll hurt even more, thanks a lot! 

Come onnnn. We can do ittt.

EDIT: That's not a reply to you. It's just what I keep telling myself.

Edited by Rolta
  • Like 3

Having watched Bournemouth against Spurs, Leicester and Man City i have got a strong feeling they will finish on 37 pts and survive.

To me they just have more about them compared to us and Watford who i think will go down.

I think we will finish the season on 31 points.

The Arsenal team we are facing now is imo stronger than the Arsenal team who beat us with 10 men. They are much stronger defensively and Arteta is getting a better tune out of them.

30 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Disagree, I'd rather face a West Ham team needing something than with the pressure off. They would be delighted to send us down and if they are safe would go all out to make that happen.