Generic Virus Thread

villakram

1 minute ago, Mozzavfc said:

Furlough scheme ends 30th April 2021

Yeah, it was a rhetorical question. 

Ends about the same time most vulnerable people will have vaccination protection. I don't think that's coincidence and that's why I think they will fully open up then. 

Obviously this depends on if they can actually roll out the vaccine on time which is another matter entirely. 

5 hours ago, MCU said:

Interesting to see when crowded events will become the norm again. Selfishly thinking of the amount of gigs/festivals I was due to go to this year after already being rearranged twice or so already. Questioning whether June will be too soon. Whoever makes that decision (Boris) is gonna have to have balls of steel no matter how low the rate of infection gets. Just out of curiosity, what with the vaccines becoming more and more available now, are we predicting a sense of normality to return this Summer? It seems to have been overshadowed by the new strain. 

As much as i'd like to see it return this year (I have tickets for England v Scotland at the Euros) I just can't see it. Can you imagine 85k fans in London on a Friday night in June? 

I don't know if it makes that much difference but I have just realised parliament doesn't return until the 7th January. Surely they should be sitting again from tomorrow given covid is now spreading at a faster rate than it ever has. 

53 minutes ago, Xela said:

As much as i'd like to see it return this year (I have tickets for England v Scotland at the Euros) I just can't see it. Can you imagine 85k fans in London on a Friday night in June? 

By June we should be well on the way to vaccinating half the population and definitely all of the elderly and known at risk people. 

I'd be more suprised if large events are not allowed by then than if they are. 

This of course depends on them actually delivering the vaccine as planned but thats another question. 

• Like 1

Just heard of the first primary school in cheltenham not opening tomorrow because the teachers dont feel safe, suspect it will be the first of many. I can understand the reaction but i dont understand why people expect it to be better in 2 weeks time. I worry that we are seeing individual groups apply their own guidelines and i worry it will become a competition to see who should get the vaccine first.

personally i would rather the schools stayed open but i say that from a relatively safe position. My wife does work at the school though and is very worried about catching covid.

41 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

Just heard of the first primary school in cheltenham not opening tomorrow because the teachers dont feel safe, suspect it will be the first of many. I can understand the reaction but i dont understand why people expect it to be better in 2 weeks time. I worry that we are seeing individual groups apply their own guidelines and i worry it will become a competition to see who should get the vaccine first.

personally i would rather the schools stayed open but i say that from a relatively safe position. My wife does work at the school though and is very worried about catching covid.

I said to my wife the other day, there is an argument to treat teachers the same as front line health workers. 

If they want schools to open at all costs, protect the teachers and get them vaccinated. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I said to my wife the other day, there is an argument to treat teachers the same as front line health workers. 

If they want schools to open at all costs, protect the teachers and get them vaccinated. 

When did they decide to vaccinate front line health workers? Was that in the vaccinate more quicker plan, I've kind of given up looking at this stuff as its a waste of time because it'll only change in a few days time

I imagine there will be a lot of schools like the one below and shutting with next to no notice due to a lack of teachers/support staff.  I am sure whoever the government send out tomorrow will stick the knife into the teachers/unions.

18 minutes ago, bickster said:

When did they decide to vaccinate front line health workers? Was that in the vaccinate more quicker plan, I've kind of given up looking at this stuff as its a waste of time because it'll only change in a few days time

They are in the second tier but as they seem to have been unable to get Pfizer out to care homes it seems they've been moving into tier 2 straight away. 

Either way, teachers are just lumped in with the general population currently. 

Our kids primary school hasn’t put up next weeks menu which is obviously a very minor thing, but I wonder if it is related unease or problems behind the scenes by the staff. It’s very unlike them. 

Edited by Genie

On 02/01/2021 at 14:45, LondonLax said:

You’ve fallen for the Spectator’s manipulation of stats here mate. There is a reason why they are presenting the chart as percentages and not showing you the actual number of beds occupied compared to a normal year. 

There is a pandemic. 

The medical industry has responded to this pandemic by increasing production.

The increased production is resulting in similar or lower average occupancy numbers in comparison to normal years.

Hence, no need to panic.

2 minutes ago, villakram said:

is resulting in similar or lower average occupancy numbers in comparison to normal years.

This is utter nonsense and is simply not true. It is not even bourne out by the stats you posted

2 minutes ago, villakram said:

There is a pandemic. 

The medical industry has responded to this pandemic by increasing production.

The increased production is resulting in similar or lower average occupancy numbers in comparison to normal years.

Hence, no need to panic.

Who is panicking? 

There is quite a lot of misinformation and manipulation of statistics floating around on the net and plenty are using it to justify defying medical recommendations or even claim COVID is some sort of grand global conspiracy.

It’s helpful to post information that suggests the UK medical facilities are rising to meet the challenge that this virus poses but that Spectator chart, posted without the context of the discussion that followed, does more to fuel the conspiracy crowd than it does to inform. 

2 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Who is panicking? 

There is quite a lot of misinformation and manipulation of statistics floating around on the net and plenty are using it to justify defying medical recommendations or even claim COVID is some sort of grand global conspiracy.

It’s helpful to post information that suggests the UK medical facilities are rising to meet the challenge that this virus poses but that Spectator chart, posted without the context of the discussion that followed, does more to fuel the conspiracy crowd than it does to inform. 

Anything against the "let's all panic because of covid' nonsense is conspiracy theory. Right!

Perhaps, if those who actually look at the actual data rather than panicking were listened to rather than labelled as "conspiracy theory" were given a little more respect (e.g., compare the Barrington crowd - conspiracy, ra, ra, ra - to how the clownshow off by an order of magnitude work from the Imperial college group - millions will die - is treated),  then we wouldn't have so many who don't trust the obvious agenda driven narrative.

Just now, villakram said:

If you say so.

The capacity has been dramtically increased and the stats you posted were a percentage. It does not mean less beds are occupied as you keep posting. It is far from the truth

ICU beds occupied compared to previous years is much much higher despite your claims to the contrary using stats that don't say what you appear to think they do

There are people that would normally be in ICU that aren't

ICU is usually one nurse to a bed, its now one nurse to two beds or more in some counts

Does that seem less than usual to you?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, villakram said:

Perhaps, if those who actually look at the actual data rather than panicking were listened to rather than labelled as "conspiracy theory" were given a little more respect (e.g., compare the Barrington crowd - conspiracy, ra, ra, ra - to how the clownshow off by an order of magnitude work from the Imperial college group - millions will die - is treated),  then we wouldn't have so many who don't trust the obvious agenda driven narrative.

Narrator: current global deaths in spite of a year of the world being put on hold and millions not leaving their house, 1.84m.

Edited by ml1dch

Re the vaccine rollout. AstraZeneca have said they'll be supplying the UK with 2m a week by mid Jan. It's still rubbish and someone needs sacking because we should have had 10m ready to go and 5m a week from the day it was approved and all of the operational support to be able to do 5m a week from the get go. Resourcing is a question of money and application and it looks like the gov have properly **** it up.

But still, 2m a week should scale up to as many as we can jab pretty quickly and "JVT" has said they want the only bottleneck to be supply. We only need to vaccinate ~25m people to reach 70% coverage. Without a massive amount of effort, that could be done in 8 weeks.

The impending national lockdown will send the R rate down back below 1 and the delayed effect should cross over enough people being vaccinated to start seeing an effect so that relaxation of restrictions during February shouldn't see the rate going back up.

That's just how I see it in my head. Perhaps the government will continue to **** things up though. I wonder if they had extended the brexit transition period that they would've had more bandwidth to plan COVID measures like checking if manufacturing was in place for enough vials..

I really hope there's an independent inquiry and the idiots responsible get the book thrown at them.

• Like 1

Â