Generic Virus Thread

villakram

15 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Have they ever called it a lockdown?

Genuine question. I remember when it was announced having the discussion that they'd very carefully not used the term lockdown in the announcement,

At the time I thought it was so that they could end up saying "we beat the virus and never actually went into lockdown!". But I don't think they'd be doing that now.

I think Johnson did.

• Like 1

moving house tomorrow...no idea how to do this safely to ensure we don’t pick anything up. 

We have been in contact with the sellers over the past few weeks to try and orchestrate a moving date during this lockdown, that’s one reassuring thing. They have said they have been fine... 

10 minutes ago, Tayls said:

moving house tomorrow...no idea how to do this safely to ensure we don’t pick anything up. 

We have been in contact with the sellers over the past few weeks to try and orchestrate a moving date during this lockdown, that’s one reassuring thing. They have said they have been fine... 

I know quite a few people who have moved during lockdown. All said it was fine, just wipe everything with anti-bac and make sure you wash your hands

Biggest ballache is getting an engineer out to sort out broadband ATM is a nightmare

• Like 1

What's this API google and Apple have got then for track and tracing. I had no doubt they would get involved in this as another way to grab our data. I'm guessing it will be very detailed when this track and tracing app becomes live.

I dont know much on this subject so maybe the techies can enlighten us?

18 minutes ago, Mozzavfc said:

I know quite a few people who have moved during lockdown. All said it was fine, just wipe everything with anti-bac and make sure you wash your hands

Biggest ballache is getting an engineer out to sort out broadband ATM is a nightmare

Yeah, we are going to ‘air’ the house for a few days before moving in properly. We are living with the in-laws currently (sold our house back in March), so have somewhere to come back to. We plan on getting there, opening all doors and windows and having a good clean and painting session. 

Still doesn’t feel like enough though. I’m not entirely convinced we should be doing this at all to be honest, doesn’t feel right!

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

What's this API google and Apple have got then for track and tracing. I had no doubt they would get involved in this as another way to grab our data. I'm guessing it will be very detailed when this track and tracing app becomes live.

I dont know much on this subject so maybe the techies can enlighten us?

I'm no expert either, but from what I've read I think the decentralised approach of the apple/google apps are actually far more secure and private than the centralised versions which is what the government's app was using.

1 hour ago, bickster said:

You've lost me there

It was just a joke because several times in the thread the general rule appears to be that you can’t believe or trust anything Boris says.

33 minutes ago, Genie said:

It was just a joke because several times in the thread the general rule appears to be that you can’t believe or trust anything Boris says.

Yeah mine was a joke because you can't trust a single one of them

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

A Professor and former head (I think) of Public Health England, just said on TV that it would be a surprise if there was no second wave. 

If a second wave comes along like it did in 1918 we will be hitting that original expected death rate of 250,000. The amount of people that are now just thinking this is over with, just like in 1918, is plain stupid. The government will be totally accountable though as they know from history that the second wave is likely to happen and they've been saying it all along so why allow idiocy to take place? Money before lives. 

10 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I know this isn't what you're saying, but I've noticed a growing trend of people saying stuff like "I bet the people at the beach are the same people too laxy to come off furlough" or similar.

Basically the implication that people are choosing to be furloughed and are too lazy to go back to work.

Again I know that's not what you're saying, it just reminded me of that so I"m thinking out loud. As someone who has been furloughed it's pissing me off!

Did you enjoy your day at the beach? 😉

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

The disproportionate numbers of infections and deaths in BAME communities has to be a cultural thing right?

I don't want to open up a can of worms but if there any no genetic differences then it has to come down to culture and behaviour surely?

People from a BAME background tend to have a significantly higher predisposition to diabetes - which is a major factor in CV mortality. 

Whether that is cultural (diet?) or genetic, I don't know. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

People from a BAME background tend to have a significantly higher predisposition to diabetes - which is a major factor in CV mortality. 

Whether that is cultural (diet?) or genetic, I don't know. 

Didn’t know that, thanks.

US have ploughed 1 Billion into the Oxford vaccine - results are due soon on early clinical trial - i.e. those results are known by those in charge and it's looking good. 

AstraZeneca Plc received more than $1 billion in U.S. government funding for an experimental Covid-19 vaccine from the University of Oxford, a boost to one of the world’s fastest-moving projects to develop a shot.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-05-21/astrazeneca-gets-1-billion-from-u-s-to-make-oxford-vaccine?utm_campaign=socialflow-organic&cmpid=socialflow-twitter-business&utm_medium=social&utm_content=business&utm_source=twitter

Edited by Jareth
  • Like 3

I think this furloghing now is well being taken advantage of. The company I work for managers are having there favourites in until they cant manage, an then i guess they will start getting others back. I'm having various email complaints from staff where the favourites are doing different job roles taking the jobs off fourlonghed staff they are actually employed to do.. A little bit of snitching going on too about poor procedures to social distancing  ppe use. Not sure if this is bitterness or not, as cant visit sites as yet.

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

I think this furloghing now is well being taken advantage of. The company I work for managers are having there favourites in until they cant manage, an then i guess they will start getting others back. I'm having various email complaints from staff where the favourites are doing different job roles taking the jobs off fourlonghed staff they are actually employed to do.. A little bit of snitching going on too about poor procedures to social distancing  ppe use. Not sure if this is bitterness or not, as cant visit sites as yet.

100% it's being taken advantage of. Probably by a massive amount of companies up and down the country.

Our company are openly saying they're furloughing as many staff as possible. It's not a case of what job doesn't need doing anymore, it's a case of how long can we survive with an absolute skeleton staff in.

My team's work hasn't really slowed down, yet two of us have been furloughed.

If it keeps the company afloat and stops job losses I'm ok with it. But it's definitely not being used as it's intended, which is to pay staff who literally don't have a job to do during this time

• Like 2

Â