Generic Virus Thread

villakram

15 hours ago, Risso said:

False negatives are far more common for lateral flow tests. False positives are quite rare, they've got 99.5% specificity, so if they say you've got it, you almost certainly have. If they say you haven't, there's about a ⅓ probability that it's wrong. I did three lateral flow tests when I had it, that all said negative. A PCR the next day confirmed I was positive.

Am not disagreeing with this, and it mirrors what GAVI say, but I am going a bit mad - the youngest left his dinner (never never happens) shot up in temp and all at the same time as its in his class and his closer class mates had it - cue positive LFT - we all go get PCRs the next morning, all PCRs are negative. I'm completely flummoxed. I'll obviously play to the whistle and send the buggers in to school, but none of it seems logical, am swiftly going off tests as a measure to know if anyone has it or not.

On 14/11/2021 at 23:09, Ingram85 said:

So in about 2 weeks time we are due to hit the 75% mark of first vaccinations for the entire UK population. Not just 12 and up, not just England but literally everyone. 

I got this wrong, we are already at 75% as of just over the 49million people mark. Incredible. 

1 minute ago, Ingram85 said:

I got this wrong, we are already at 75% as of just over the 49million people mark. Incredible. 

We've slowed down massively compared to the rest of Western Europe though

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

We've slowed down massively compared to the rest of Western Europe though

I think maybe we are more resistant to letting our kids have it compared to the western side of the continent perhaps? I don’t know. Plus all the daft word removeds over here who refuse to get it anyway.

We are at about 76.5% at the moment, if we can crawl to 80% then that would be ok. It will then be the unvaccinated that, similar to now, will make up the 96-99% of deaths. The more people that get vaccinated then the higher the number of the percentage of deaths will be unvaccinated people. It’s not a conspiracy, the vast majority of those being admitted/dying are those who believe they don’t need the vaccine. It’s even higher for pregnant women, a consultant on bbc news this morning said that 98% of pregnant women being admitted with covid are unvaccinated. It’s just ridiculous.

I think the real big issue the nhs faces right now is convincing people of the need to get the booster. People wrongly believe that they only need the 2 jabs and that’s it, they don’t realise it wears off after a while and needs topping up.

47 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

People wrongly believe that they only need the 2 jabs and that’s it, they don’t realise it wears off after a while and needs topping up.

Also how bloody lucky they are to have the option of a third jab when some people can’t get a first.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

I think maybe we are more resistant to letting our kids have it compared to the western side of the continent perhaps?

The missus is working with the School Imms Teams two days a week at the moment and some of the abuse / stupidity / ignorance from parents is absolutely astounding

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

The missus is working with the School Imms Teams two days a week at the moment and some of the abuse / stupidity / ignorance from parents is absolutely astounding

I really don't think it would astound me at all :(

16 hours ago, Davkaus said:

but ultimately, the vaccine cuts transmission,

It does but not to the extent that people who are not vaccinated ought to be penalised in the way in which Austria and others are doing. It doesn't prevent or vastly prevent transmission. The main benefits to vaccination appear to be for those in receipt of the vaccination through reducing the likelihood of serious illness/death. I appreciate that this has knock-on effects for others via use of medical resources but I don't see that justifying the actions being taken or encouraged.

and I'm not particularly supportive of an individual's rights to spread disease.

If you can honestly say that you've never been in a position where you may have been infectious with a disease and potentially infected others then I'll listen.

Confusing information on NHS websites, the main when can I get a booster section states 5 months all the others state 6 months.

Has anyone here just walked in after 5 months since their 2nd jab and been able to get a booster?

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

Confusing information on NHS websites, the main when can I get a booster section states 5 months all the others state 6 months.

Has anyone here just walked in after 5 months since their 2nd jab and been able to get a booster?

Does the app allow you to book a booster? I found that to be up to date. Even if you don’t book it, if it allows you to book one they should let you have one at a walk in centre.

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

It's 5 months from 2nd jab if you're over 50 or are 16+ and have an underlying medical condition which may put you at risk and 6 months from 2nd jab otherwise.

I think they send something letting you know when you're eligible?

Just now, Genie said:

Does the app allow you to book a booster? I found that to be up to date. Even if you don’t book it, if it allows you to book one they should let you have one at a walk in centre.

I don't book my appointments through the App, it's shit and doesn't understand that I want an appointment close to work not close to home, it wants me to go 9 miles in the wrong direction from my house when I pass at least three vaccination centres ON my route to work

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

It's 5 months from 2nd jab if you're over 50 or are 16+ and have an underlying medical condition which may put you at risk and 6 months from 2nd jab otherwise.

I think they send something letting you know when you're eligible?

No, that all happens at 6 months, you can't book until 6 months from what I'm reading. But you can walk-in at 5 months. As usual, the NHS website is shite at giving the correct information

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

I don't book my appointments through the App, it's shit and doesn't understand that I want an appointment close to work not close to home, it wants me to go 9 miles in the wrong direction from my house when I pass at least three vaccination centres ON my route to work

Fair one, it was merely the principle though. It knows when you have your second jab, if it tells you that you can book a booster you should be free to walk in to somewhere and get one.

If it says you need to wait another month then you’ll possibly get turned away.

Edited by Genie

43 minutes ago, bickster said:

My five months since second dose is up today, I'll be attempting to get a walk in booster on my way home

I'm interested in how strict they're being.

My 6 months is 1st December but I'd like to get it a bit sooner as I've got some early Christmas socials end of November.

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Also how bloody lucky they are to have the option of a third jab when some people can’t get a first.

Do you have any data into who in the world isn't given an option of vaccination against COVID? It would be interesting to see. 

5 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I'm interested in how strict they're being.

My 6 months is 1st December but I'd like to get it a bit sooner as I've got some early Christmas socials end of November.

Based on my attempt to get the 2nd jab ASAP due to a need to travel and having visited about 10 different centres to do so, I would say it's pot luck. Everyone will tell you a different thing, and it often depends if the nurse/doctor woke up on the right side of the bed. 

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

if it tells you that you can book a booster you should be free to walk in to somewhere and get one.

No they changed the rules, you get letter and invited for an appointment at 6 months (as before) but you can get one at 5 months

Â