Generic Virus Thread

villakram

The good thing about a UK break is keeping cash in the UK.  We're going to be in shit creek paying for all this.  Spending yjur cash over here paying UK vat on ice cream and beer and helping those UK traders to make a bumper profit will help out a lot. 

Been thinking about these vaccine refuseniks, and why they are resisting. Bumped into an acquaintance while out for a walk, and she said she wouldn't have one. I was surprised - she's my age, a graduate, generally not in any way a crank. When I asked why, she said "I don't like needles". Could it be that many of the 'conspiracy' arguments are actually just a cover for people being scared of injections? 

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Compare the productivty of modern Britain to the 70s or 80s. Then compare the average wage. Then compare the amount of billionaires.

I think workers should put their work-life balance before the profitiability and producitivity of companies. We make the sacrifices, they make the money. **** them, if they want me commuting when it's demonstrable I can work just as well from home, they'll be paying me at least 30% extra for the privilige.

I couldn't give a **** about their culture.

Wow, I think you've just proved about 50% of my points. 

I hope one day you find a company you actually like working for, you'll feel a whole lot better about life. 

59 minutes ago, Genie said:

I’d get there at 7 to beat the traffic, alarm at 5:35am. Brutal.

See with stuff like this I reckon that as long as your mental health hasn’t suffered too badly then the last year will have improved a lot of people’s health and added a few months to their lifespan.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sidcow said:

The good thing about a UK break is keeping cash in the UK.  We're going to be in shit creek paying for all this.  Spending yjur cash over here paying UK vat on ice cream and beer and helping those UK traders to make a bumper profit will help out a lot. 

And the bad thing about a UK break is there’s about a 50% chance it will be a washout whatever time of year you book it.

7 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Wow, I think you've just proved about 50% of my points. 

I hope one day you find a company you actually like working for, you'll feel a whole lot better about life. 

I quite like my work. I just value my free time more than the culture and produtitivity of a company owned by the inconveivably rich. We've put up with commutes for decades because it was truly necessary. It's since been proven that for millions of us, it isn't. It might be better for productivity and profit, and if that's the case and they want us to support that effort, we should be compensated for it.

Remember when computers and other technology were going to vastly reduce working hours? We'll never work less unless we fight for it, because for millionaires and billionairs, no amount of profit is ever enough.

If you're willing to say that your commute is worth it for the greater good of the company you work for, that's your business.

Edited by Davkaus

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

Been thinking about these vaccine refuseniks, and why they are resisting. Bumped into an acquaintance while out for a walk, and she said she wouldn't have one. I was surprised - she's my age, a graduate, generally not in any way a crank. When I asked why, she said "I don't like needles". Could it be that many of the 'conspiracy' arguments are actually just a cover for people being scared of injections? 

You should have asked her if she liked pubs, or family, or holidays, or music concerts, or ten pin bowling, or restaurants or cinema or theatre or in fact life. 

I don't like broccoli but I eat it because it's good for me, and that doesn't even help my neighbour. These people leave me speechless. 

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

I quite like my work. I just value my free time more than the culture and produtitivity of a company owned by the inconveivably rich. We've put up with commutes for decades because it was truly necessary. It's since been proven that for millions of us, it isn't. It might be better for productivity and profit, and if that's the case and they want us to support that effort, we should be compensated for it.

If you're willing to say that your commute is worth it for the greater good of the company you work for, that's your business. Take can you don't trepan yourself tugging that forelock ;)

Jesus christ, I'm not saying that. I'm not even saying if it's a good or bad thing and to be clear I'M NOT GOING TO FORCE YOU TO WORK ANYWHERE. You don't need to have a go at me. 

All I am saying is what I think will happen if it goes that way.  I just don't think the future will be everyone working from home because of those things I mentioned. 

I'm personally looking to work home more and want to. I'm just saying how I see it panning out in the long run compared to what happens over 1 year. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Jesus christ, I'm not saying that. I'm not even saying if it's a good or bad thing and to be clear I'M NOT GOING TO FORCE YOU TO WORK ANYWHERE. You don't need to have a go at me. 

All I am saying is what I think will happen if it goes that way.  I just don't think the future will be everyone working from home because of those things I mentioned. 

I'm personally looking to work home more and want to. I'm just saying how I see it panning out in the long run compared to what happens over 1 year. 

FWIW I edited out the last sentence because it was meant to be in good humour, but I re-read it and realised it still seemed incredibly arsey.

I don't completely agree with you but I've had a shit day and I'm spoiling for a fight, so I'm going to go and chill out instead of talking politics on the internet. Have a good evening mate, no offence meant.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 4

Where I work it has been pretty much kept afloat by a fortunately timed huge review of cost saving measures. Within that I’m certain that the powers that be will have crunched the numbers on getting more people WFH and closing some buildings / selling land etc.

10 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

FWIW I edited out the last sentence because it was meant to be in good humour, but I re-read it and realised it still seemed incredibly arsey.

I don't completely agree with you but I've had a shit day and I'm spoiling for a fight, so I'm going to go and chill out instead of talking politics on the internet. Have a good evening mate, no offence meant.

No worries. I think we got sidetracked into if it was good or bad for employees or companies which wasn't really my point. 

In short I think companies will embrace homeworking for no other reason than to save themselves money, but ultimately I don't think they will save money. 

23 minutes ago, Genie said:

Where I work it has been pretty much kept afloat by a fortunately timed huge review of cost saving measures. Within that I’m certain that the powers that be will have crunched the numbers on getting more people WFH and closing some buildings / selling land etc.

I think my company have saved most money on travel and entertainment expenses. Those are massive expenditures when you look at it which have almost gone to zero. 

They've had to buy some extra IT and phones and whatnot but compared to the hundreds of thousands of miles not driven, train journeys, overseas flights, client entertainment, staff doos it's a drop in the ocean.  I bet just the Christmas party has saved more than the additional expenditure. 

I can definitely see Teams meetings be more prevelant in future either in the office or not.  Some clients prefer it as well because you are in and out of their day quicker. 

Whatever the future holds for homeworking Coronavirus will have many permanent changes on working practices I think, where appropriate. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Maybe not everybody wants to extend their lives any more than they have to ?  

I was offered a jab at my surgery by text earlier due to out of date data on my weight/BMI.

I understand that it's quite a logistical exercise and I wouldn't be expecting frequent data exchanging but I updated my surgery last summer (and this meant I wasn't offered a free 'flu jab this winter) when I had a telephone appointment asking for some back pain medication so it's a little concerning that it's well over six months out of date. Asked to be marked down as wanting a vaccination but when my actual time comes around (and not now because I'm incorrectly regarded me as high risk) - was assured that this would be the case.

• Like 1

Â