Generic Virus Thread

villakram

Just now, Genie said:

Whilst the EU might have negotiated better prices it’s at the cost of a lot of delays (and lives I’d assume).

I expect internally within the EU it’s a bloody nightmare deciding who gets the supply of vaccines they have available. Again, it’ll be delays. 

Never thought of that. You can bet Germany and France will get them at a faster rate than Lithuania for example. I can imagine some internal ill will. 

10 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Maybe they (EU) are really worried that the UK will be down the track in getting up and running and the EU is still filling in forms ?

The UK could be 6 -12 months ahead in the economy at this rate of vaccination.  The EU will wake from this in a slow and patchy way which is good for the UK I guess ?

The pound has risen a lot against the dollar and euro over the past 2-3 weeks because of this reason.

I think they said the pound was at 2.5 year high against the dollar. 

• Like 1

Parallel research into the efficacy of existing drugs has turned up possible goer in a cancer drug, plitidepsin, made in Spain.

They'll be in a hurry to trial it, as it may bypass Covid's mutation tricks.

12 minutes ago, snowychap said:

I'm not so sure about that.

Nobody can be sure either way, it is entirely plausible though just as its entirely plausible the UK will take the same approach. One thing I think is for certain is in reverse they would be grand standing about the collective power of the EU and the mistake of Brexit.

• Like 3

I would love it if Boris were to make a comment along the lines of “the EU need the help of the UK and we’re looking into what can be achieved...”

It seems like it’s going to go the other way, the UK are to blame for EU problems (again).

Edited by Genie

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

That to me sounds like the EU tried to do us over and it hasn’t worked and now they pissed.

Kind of, yeah. Politically there's embarrassment that the EU has been sluggish with the vaccine stuff and they contrast badly with other areas, including the UK. So they're deflecting their organisational and bureaucratic sluggish with this "summoning the AZ boss to talks" stuff and talk about blocking exports of vaccines to the UK. Totally political and manipulative. And once you start that the thing snowballs - "if the UK won't send us vaccines, we won't send them any". It's not that at all, but that's what it's being made out as by numpty politicians.

• Like 1

How the EU has handled this is doing a good job of making them look like a bunch of bellends even to a fervent remainer. 

I'd rather blockade the French coast then let them pressure AZ into redirecting vaccines that are ours.

10 minutes ago, Genie said:

Have the daily Mail suggested yet that the RAF will collect the vaccines from Europe if the EU try to block them?

Our boys in the SAS will covertly go in and liberate British vaccines. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Nobody is suggesting it does. 🤷🏼‍♂️

This is true. Don't mind me—I'm dipping in and out of the thread while working. I should concentrate more 😁. EDIT: Although I don't find it surprising that one group not getting their ordered supply is pissed that another group is still getting theirs. I'm aware there are differences in the timing of the orders, but it's going to happen (the complaining).

Edited by Rolta
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

Quite. I’m sure they will soon try and spin it so the UK is to blame for acting in isolation and causing these issues, that this is an example of why nations should work together etc. I think that message is going to be lost when their citizens are going without the vaccine.

The whole point of the EU’s collective buying program is so that you don’t end up with countries all out bidding each other for stock, similar to what happened in the US where states were bidding against each other for ventilators driving the price up massively. 
In the case of the vaccine the U.K. has nipped in ahead and offered a higher price and now are getting the first deliveries. 

56 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Nobody can be sure either way, it is entirely plausible though just as its entirely plausible the UK will take the same approach. One thing I think is for certain is in reverse they would be grand standing about the collective power of the EU and the mistake of Brexit.

I agree that they would be making political capital but I also think that they'd see beyond that and not unnecessarily hoard medicines required elsewhere. Not out of some sense of righteousness or magnanimity but because they'd understand that to do so may have negative consequences for them and their citizens.

I'm very fearful that too many people/politicians/nations see the world in zero-sum terms and the only sure result of that is that some people (maybe huge numbers and most probably the undeserving [of being on the receiving end]) suffer.

3 minutes ago, snowychap said:

I agree that they would be making political capital but I also think that they'd see beyond that and not unnecessarily hoard medicines required elsewhere. Not out of some sense of righteousness or magnanimity but because they'd understand that to do so may have negative consequences for them and their citizens.

I'm very fearful that too many people/politicians/nations see the world in zero-sum terms and the only sure result of that is that some people (maybe huge numbers and most probably the undeserving [of being on the receiving end]) suffer.

That’s the thing though, they aren’t excess capacity doses, nobody is hoarding. There are debates to be had about priorities but nobody is hoarding or not least in terms of delivered vaccines. Orders is different. So the question is in reverse, would the EU give up vaccines needed by its citizens to assist the UK. Nobody can be certain but zi have strong doubt.

On your later point I’m afraid that is entirely likely. People look after their own first especially when their careers depend on those people voting for them.

6 minutes ago, snowychap said:

I think the decision the UK may have is whether to vaccinate our own low risk groups, or divert their stock to other countries that don’t have enough for their high risk groups.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Genie said:

I think the decision the UK may have is whether to vaccinate our own low risk groups, or divert their stock to other countries that don’t have enough for their high risk groups.

Agreed but can you imagine the backlash in this country if they take that approach? It might well be morally the right thing to do but there would be uproar.

Imagine sending schools back in but they haven’t vaccinated teachers because they’ve shipped the vaccine stock to Spain.

This Government have got away with a lot these last 12 months but they would be crucified for that so much so that I just don’t see it happening.

• Like 2

Â