Generic Virus Thread

villakram

12 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Only 282,812 vaccinated today v 363,508 last Thursday.

What's going on?  A lot more centers opened since last week.  Numbers should be going up not substantially down.

Are these reporting errors from last week or supply issues?

Could be supply constraints

7 minutes ago, Genie said:

Could be supply constraints

Yeah. It's also perhaps that they are now distributing the doses to areas that are behind in terms of stats for vaccinations. It was on the news a few days ago that for example the Yorkies were doing really well getting people jabbed and london wasn't, so they are deliberately diverting the vaccine supply so fewer doses go to Yorkshire and more to London. They're also taking them from the North West and sending them instead to London. So the people of places doing well are now being penalised for their areas being efficient. I'm not sure it's the right approach, particularly when the Northern areas have been hit by greater and longer lockdowns, higher death tolls, and more economic damage.

42 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

This is the sort of eye for extreme detail that enables one to create a dirty VW Diesel engine and pass it as clean as a whistle 👍

Absolutely correct. And as proof this is my old car with a perfectly clean VW diesel engine

Meozu7W6F1wm7pRWn6RqRV7Z6OjETE66ORHGrHXpSXKfT84yEdrTgrOzAnp2MvCWzIySFg3dNXW_EMgSWX1M1Q9JjHuptfKqBwHQ0WO5OOHuyRkdHp03hhO58Fwjz5SzLqgykJYXrg9b744ZHpyz3LR3iUI9_oYuBLH_j2v64T7JfSv-Fd7JlmqKevzgi5GAp5fs7-4sWYlV-2dGzVY-o0YUMBuTRXC6rdMjlqnnp1F8nsn95A2LFsW8ot_zhLp79DiPt5M8vVP2remBjfFWzp-cUrcbrm4-A5TYeLBCsWzwtRoLEu1WyAI1MwF-hQT1bc3SC4mkPjhqK5CTpZ-HMqfwBQ1te5UKXqMgezSsX4BikHeblHq0cA-GXpQT7fgAOGJnoruuqeg9sPToMprK2rTelNt72DgXs1fl1fFOE5ZoAsQ9HEX-qy4s_qtVVzrGpWhx3N1d_x8ADbZRlKxv-IyjcYVMtkQthRFp-pcZ3LZu75yoHpgu4VUzhval1TWgru3M87T-t1rmbQRS_DWUDcBOaceSCp7O-Me2jVva5LbK6ie75dBjAX7aD6iagDIIt9WU_xNSqQXI0kdqiwbpTBWjzjkpnNckPEZIFNsElkgXF8dNnX_ZtruLNTm1KUlqSShwyxkn6hYzfeYMobMLI-XFdBOOaJ52UKdwaT8PuFz7vYQj4qjkSxE=w1560-h878-no?authuser=0

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Only 282,812 vaccinated today v 363,508 last Thursday.

What's going on?  A lot more centers opened since last week.  Numbers should be going up not substantially down.

Are these reporting errors from last week or supply issues?

Supply issues, according to one person I know.

57 minutes ago, blandy said:

Yeah. It's also perhaps that they are now distributing the doses to areas that are behind in terms of stats for vaccinations. It was on the news a few days ago that for example the Yorkies were doing really well getting people jabbed and london wasn't, so they are deliberately diverting the vaccine supply so fewer doses go to Yorkshire and more to London. They're also taking them from the North West and sending them instead to London. So the people of places doing well are now being penalised for their areas being efficient. I'm not sure it's the right approach, particularly when the Northern areas have been hit by greater and longer lockdowns, higher death tolls, and more economic damage.

Does that make sense though? Genuine question.

My thought process is that if areas are behind it is because of local issues like population spread, transport, delivery issues and in some community reluctance. Surely it isn’t down to a lack of vaccine? So I’m struggling with the logic of diverting more vaccine to these areas.

If anything surely it should be the other way around? Send them to where they are getting delivered.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I guess that would help wider roll out but not the targeted roll out of the priority groups. 

The way they do it now almost guarantees that the hospitals will all ease on or around the same time if they do it block by block as well.

EG.  No new Covid over 80's admissions for Covid since X date (As they have all been done country wide)so 3 or 4 weeks after the last over 80's.  It is quite clever as a strategy.

Just now, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

The way they do it now almost guarantees that the hospitals will all ease on or around the same time if they do it block by block as well.

EG.  No new Covid over 80's admissions for Covid since X date (As they have all been done country wide)so 3 or 4 weeks after the last over 80's.  It is quite clever as a strategy.

It is but you can’t keep going like that if there are large disparities in delivery. If area A has completed categories 1-4 you can’t not continue roll out while area B catches up. (Just an example)

I get they won’t want a postcode lottery but  we simply need to roll this out as fast and as wide as possible.

• Like 2

An interesting read if anyone has the time (or the will):

PHE Weekly National Weekly Influenza and COVID-19 Surveillance Report.

Headlines (extracted from the Exec Summary):

Surveillance indicators suggest that at a national level COVID-19 case rates continued to decline in week 3 of 2021, while there was indication that hospital and ICU admissions began to stabilise or decline slightly. There is currently limited testing for other respiratory viruses, however, laboratory indicators suggest that influenza activity is low.

Overall case rates and Pillar 2 positivity continued to decrease in week 3. Pillar 1 positivity decreased slightly in week 3. The case rates decreased in all PHE Centres in week 3. Case rates decreased across all age group in week 3. By ethnicity, case rates remain highest in other ethnic groups and decreases were noted across all ethnic groups.

The overall COVID-19 confirmed hospital admission rate began to decline in week 3 and COVID-19 ICU/HDU admission rates remained relatively stable in week 3. The overall influenza confirmed hospital and ICU/HDU admission rates remained low.

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

Does that make sense though? Genuine question.

My thought process is that if areas are behind it is because of local issues like population spread, transport, delivery issues and in some community reluctance. Surely it isn’t down to a lack of vaccine? So I’m struggling with the logic of diverting more vaccine to these areas.

If anything surely it should be the other way around? Send them to where they are getting delivered.

No it doesn't make sense to me on balance, but it's definitely what they're doing - that's my comment really. Plus the other side or aspect to it is they could be giving people their second dose in the areas where it's going well, and thus fully protecting vulnerable people. To me it doesn't matter what your post code is, the sooner they can protect areas fully, then the sooner those areas can open up and economic damage and other health issues can be recovered.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

It is but you can’t keep going like that if there are large disparities in delivery. If area A has completed categories 1-4 you can’t not continue roll out while area B catches up. (Just an example)

I get they won’t want a postcode lottery but  we simply need to roll this out as fast and as wide as possible.

They are DEFINITELY not doing that.  I've personal experience and seen plenty of press reports where areas move onto lover categories once they've vaccinated their top target age group. 

There was a documentary I watched about the WHO investigating pandemics right at the start of this one. I think it was on Netflix. The WHO experts going to where outbreaks were rife were wearing masks below the nose. Their reasoning was that the mask isn't for filtering what you're breathing in, it's more or less just used as a spit guard for when they're talking in case they have it and pass it on. Exactly what we've been told the masks are for now. So I'm not sure it's really worth being too militant over people wearing masks that only cover their mouths.

26 minutes ago, darrenm said:

There was a documentary I watched about the WHO investigating pandemics right at the start of this one. I think it was on Netflix. The WHO experts going to where outbreaks were rife were wearing masks below the nose. Their reasoning was that the mask isn't for filtering what you're breathing in, it's more or less just used as a spit guard for when they're talking in case they have it and pass it on. Exactly what we've been told the masks are for now. So I'm not sure it's really worth being too militant over people wearing masks that only cover their mouths.

I am a mouth breather. Which apparently is freakishly **** unnatural. Don’t normal people breathe through the nose and therefore spray microparticals?

7 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I am a mouth breather. Which apparently is freakishly **** unnatural. Don’t normal people breathe through the nose and therefore spray microparticals?

It's more about the projectile droplets from talking or coughing rather than breathing.

Edited by darrenm
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

in through your nose out through your mouth

Â