Generic Virus Thread

villakram

I have to say I would be absolutely amazed if the AZ contract with the EU absolutely guaranteed delivery timescales. It would be commercial suicide for such a tricky product. All sorts of things could go wrong, it's a live product. 

I'm sure their comment about using "best effort" to meet supply is true. 

Why the hell haven't they signed it off yet anyway? UK and US approved it ages ago now. 

Hopefully if they do start meddling in our supply we will have had enough to get all the at risk jabs done first. 

I wonder how yesterday's bomb scare at the AZ facility will affect supply. 

Sounds like they were down for several hours. 

Also hope no vaccine was wasted by what would presumably be an emergency shut down of the process. 

Edited by sidcow

It is pretty unedifying for nations to be squabbling over vaccines but entirly predictable. The EU I think aside from the legitimate concerns about its nations vaccination efforts and population welfare is deeply concerned about the politics of this situation.

It really doesn’t play well for the EU agenda at this moment following Brexit for the UK to get a better deal in terms of vaccine delivery than them. It doesn’t say a lot for collective effort or organisation and could easily foster some envious eyes in the UK direction.

I don’t doubt they are trying to act in the interests of their citizens but there is a huge amount of political capital at stake here.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I have to say I would be absolutely amazed if the AZ contract with the EU absolutely guaranteed delivery timescales. It would be commercial suicide for such a tricky product. All sorts of things could go wrong, it's a live product. 

I'm sure their comment about using "best effort" to meet supply is true. 

Why the hell haven't they signed it off yet anyway? UK and US approved it ages ago now. 

Hopefully if they do start meddling in our supply we will have had enough to get all the at risk jabs done first. 

I read something that suggested it is in the contract that UK production sites were classed as primary sites and those in the EU as secondary so they think they should get the stocks from the more productive UK plants that were upgraded because of our earlier order.

That to me sounds like the EU tried to do us over and it hasn’t worked and now they pissed.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

It is looking more and more like a dodged bullet by opting out of the EU vaccination programme.

Quite. I’m sure they will soon try and spin it so the UK is to blame for acting in isolation and causing these issues, that this is an example of why nations should work together etc. I think that message is going to be lost when their citizens are going without the vaccine.

17 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

It is pretty unedifying for nations to be squabbling over vaccines but entirly predictable

It is. What I'm starting to be more concerned about is nations that seem to have hugely over ordered vaccine doses in comparison to their population/need.

Now it may be a bit of prudence and looking at a diverse supply either in case something goes wrong with one or more vaccines or future second/third rounds are required but there is also the air of richer nations looking at buying up supplies that are needed but will not be available elsewhere.

If the end result is the virus mutating in those other places and out running the vaccines boarded by some countries then it will have been shamefully counterproductive and short sighted.

1 minute ago, TrentVilla said:

Quite. I’m sure they will soon try and spin it so the UK is to blame for acting in isolation and causing these issues, that this is an example of why nations should work together etc. I think that message is going to be lost when their citizens are going without the vaccine.

Will they stop short of saying the UK is causing deaths in the EU?

If the UK has vaccinated its elderly and has stock for lower risk groups, there will be pressure to divert vaccines to the EU to help them get their elderly vaccinated. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, snowychap said:

It is. What I'm starting to be more concerned about is nations that seem to have hugely over ordered vaccine doses in comparison to their population/need.

Now it may be a bit of prudence and looking at a diverse supply either in case something goes wrong with one or more vaccines or future second/third rounds are required but there is also the air of richer nations looking at buying up supplies that are needed but will not be available elsewhere.

If the end result is the virus mutating in those other places and out running the vaccines boarded by some countries then it will have been shamefully counterproductive and short sighted.

Lets just hope they aren’t used for financial or political gains.

• Like 1

To be fair, I think a lot of people would be complaining if they ordered something and it's not getting fulfilled while someone else is getting their complete order. Anyone would complain. They might not get what they want though. Well, the AZ vaccine is just one of a few different vaccines.

Edited by Rolta

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

Will they stop short of saying the UK is causing deaths in the EU?

If the UK has vaccinated its elderly and has stock for lower risk groups, there will be pressure to divert vaccines to the EU to help them get their elderly vaccinated. 

There will and then it becomes a very difficult situation. The Government's first responsibility is to It’s people, obviously true protection from the virus comes through mass vaccination but they have to also think about the mental well being of the nation, the economy and employment.

I think while the pressure may come the Gov would be very unlikely to hand over vaccines. Leaving aside the human cost of them not doing so why should they?

The vaccine roll out shouldn’t be political but because of our position with the EU it is inevitable and it is hard not to believe there will be a serious lack of good will to the institution of the EU and some of its leaders with UK politics.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

There will and then it becomes a very difficult situation. The Government's first responsibility is to It’s people, obviously true protection from the virus comes through mass vaccination but they have to also think about the mental well being of the nation, the economy and employment.

I think while the pressure may come the Gov would be very unlikely to hand over vaccines. Leaving aside the human cost of them not doing so why should they?

The vaccine roll out shouldn’t be political but because of our position with the EU it is inevitable and it is hard not to believe there will be a serious lack of good will to the institution of the EU and some of its leaders with UK politics.

We should hand some over on the promise none of them go to the French 😉 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

The Government's first responsibility is to It’s people,

Agree,  this is the line the EU would use if the other way around I suspect.

Other way around and the UK had none,  after all of Brexit,  they would never share with the UK.

Maybe they (EU) are really worried that the UK will be down the track in getting up and running and the EU is still filling in forms ?

The UK could be 6 -12 months ahead in the economy at this rate of vaccination.  The EU will wake from this in a slow and patchy way which is good for the UK I guess ?

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Genie said:

It is looking more and more like a dodged bullet by opting out of the EU vaccination programme.

And fair play, credit where it's due.  The press tried to criticize the Government at the time but it does seem like we did the right thing. 

I still can't believe the EU haven't even approved the AZ vaccine yet whilst we've already got shot 1 into millions of arms. 

3 minutes ago, sidcow said:

And fair play, credit where it's due.  The press tried to criticize the Government at the time but it does seem like we did the right thing. 

I still can't believe the EU haven't even approved the AZ vaccine yet whilst we've already got shot 1 into millions of arms. 

Whilst the EU might have negotiated better prices it’s at the cost of a lot of delays (and lives I’d assume).

I expect internally within the EU it’s a bloody nightmare deciding who gets the supply of vaccines they have available. Again, it’ll be delays. 

• Like 2

Â